Song 3 with an Eton midrange?

eriksven

Song 3 with an Eton midrange?
« on: 3 May 2018, 04:06 am »
I really like the idea of a Song 3 but with the Eton midrange that the Song 3 Encore uses. On one of the websites selling that midrange, they say how great it looks on the back and recommends using a "window" so you can see it back there.  At first, I thought it was a dumb idea, but the back of it does look kind of cool.  Are there any materials--like a good thick glass?--that could be used to make a window back there? Would doing so mess up the acoustics?  Are there any technical reasons it couldn't work?  I really like the color of the Veracity ST's that were reviewed on New Record Day--I think a Song 3 with an Eton midrange and window on the back would be super cool.  Am I just dreaming?

Here's the quote:

"The back plate also has exhaust holes to help with voice coil ventilation. A spiral pattern is also milled into the back plate from the ventilation holes outward. This beautiful back plate yearns for a viewing window in the enclosure or open baffle design. These are stunning drivers!"

Source: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-woofers/eton-arcosia-4-318-4-magnesium-cone-silver-with-black/

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Song 3 with an Eton midrange?
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2018, 06:10 pm »
I'm afraid that could be for show purposes only.  The problem is the mid chamber has to be stuffed to damp reflections and standing waves, and to provide proper loading to the midrange.  So all you would see is a bunch of white fluff.  Even if the speaker were designed with an open-back midrange (like the SS8), it would still sound better with some damping material. 

eriksven

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2018, 02:29 am »
Thanks for the reply--totally makes sense. 

In a normal enclosure (no window), do you see any reason the Eton couldn't work in the regular Song3?  Would the cabinet need to be redesigned (i.e., changing the volume of the midrange enclosure)?

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2018, 02:07 pm »
There is no reason it would not work in the regular Song3.  It would, however, require a new crossover design.

- Jim