M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction

Spatial Audio

M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction
« on: 6 Jul 2019, 03:00 pm »
I am excited to tell you about our new M series design platform that I think will set the standard for performance in the under $5K segment. Almost 5 years since the M4 and M3 were introduced in 2015, two completely new models will be rolled out later this month - M5 Sapphire & M3 Sapphire. Here is pic of the M5:

Both models feature a cool new wideband, large dome unit which operates from 500Hz to 40kHz that is crossover-less. You'll have to hear it to believe the level of information and soundstage projection. Its also extremely smooth with no detectable listener fatigue. Bass duties are handled by my new 15 inch cast frame woofer design - the ST15-8. This dipole woofer design performs in a powerful and linear fashion that easily surpasses box bass. It rolls off smoothly and uses one toroidal inductor in series. The Danish Janzten inductor is expensive but features ultra low 0.10 Ohm DCR, which provides tighter bass than other coil types.

The M3 Sapphire uses the exact same concept, but with a second 15 inch woofer for additional deep bass power. So the M3 Sapphire has more deep bass power than the M5, but otherwise sounds the same. Both models are passive, dipolar designs.

Factory Pricing:

M5 Sapphire - $3450 pr. including shipping
M3 Sapphire - $4950 pr. including shipping

M5 Prelim Specs:

Type: 2-way dynamic dipolar

Drivers: 1 x pure Sapphire Dome -long throw suspension

1 x Spatial ST15-8 - 15 inch cast frame dipole

Frequency Range: 29Hz-40kHz in room

Impedance: 8 Ohms nominal (7 Ohms minima)

Sensitivity: 92 dB

Finish: Choice of real wood veneers

Size: 42T x 18W x 3D inches

Weight: 65 lbs net, 75 lbs Shipping

I will post M3 Sapphire info within the week. Let me know if you have any questions. Spatial customers can contact me regarding M3 and M4 trade-in pricing.

Happy Listening,

Clayton Shaw
www.spatialaudio.us
Tel. (435) 640-1294

« Last Edit: 7 May 2020, 09:58 am by Spatial Audio »

sumoking

Re: M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2019, 04:04 pm »
Exciting news Clayton!
I really appreciate the price points of the New M Series!
Sounds like you upped the game of the M series in terms of sound quality, but somehow kept the costs relatively the same.

I haven’t listed to anything in the price class of my M3 S Turbos that sound near as good. So excited to hear these new speakers!

The specs on this new series seem to address the lower frequency range the last model didn’t have.
I believe the old M3 went to 33Hz. Can you hear/feel the difference from 33 down to 29Hz?

To offer a speaker that has this freq range at $3-4k is really impressive!!! It’s not always easy to accommodate the room for an additional sub and it seems for those who appreciate the bottom end this new series might do the trick.

Nice that you offer a trade up program!

How would you say this series images compared to the original series? I notice it’s not
a compression driver? Do they take as long to break in?

Cheers!

Spatial Audio

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2019, 04:44 pm »
Exciting news Clayton!
I really appreciate the price points of the New M Series!
Sounds like you upped the game of the M series in terms of sound quality, but somehow kept the costs relatively the same.

I haven’t listed to anything in the price class of my M3 S Turbos that sound near as good. So excited to hear these new speakers!

The specs on this new series seem to address the lower frequency range the last model didn’t have.
I believe the old M3 went to 33Hz. Can you hear/feel the difference from 33 down to 29Hz?

To offer a speaker that does it all at $3-4k is really impressive!!! It’s not always easy to accommodate the room for an additional sub and it seems for those who appreciate
the bottom end this speaker might do the trick.

Nice that you offer a trade up program!

How would you say this series images compared to the original series? I notice it’s not
a compression driver? Do they take as long to break in?
Congrats!
Cheers!

Thanks Sumoking,

Its true that the new approach offers better bass power and articulation than before - which is due to both the new woofer design and the low resistance toroidal inductor, so I am very happy with the results. While the imaging of the previous models was considered by most to be excellent, the Sapphire series is even better plus the size of the soundstage is huge in every dimension, projecting through the walls. That's the first thing you notice. Break-in will be shorter than the previous models.

Clayton

sumoking

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2019, 06:42 pm »
Appreciate your feedback!
Really looking forward to hear more about the M-3 Sapphires in the coming days!
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2019, 12:00 am by sumoking »

davek

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2019, 09:01 pm »
Wow, a full range dome, that’s amazing. How does it sound compared to the AMT in the X5? Interested in the comparison between the X5 and M5, although the X5 is a bit narrower (better for my room), an all passive design sure is simpler. Looks like you need to set up a listening room in CO for prospective owners.

Tom419

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2019, 09:16 pm »
Clayton,    Will these be available in non-wood finishes?   

Spatial Audio

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2019, 01:27 am »
Clayton,    Will these be available in non-wood finishes?

We can do both black and white in a painted surface in addition to wood.

Clayton

Ragnar71

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2019, 02:22 am »
Will these be Bi-Ampable? Since there is no crossover, wouldn’t bi amping actually be advantageous or am I Totally misinformed on how bi-amping works? I’d say there is a very good chance I just asked a very stupid question.

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2019, 02:43 am »
Will these be Bi-Ampable? Since there is no crossover, wouldn’t bi amping actually be advantageous or am I Totally misinformed on how bi-amping works? I’d say there is a very good chance I just asked a very stupid question.

I was wondering the exact same thing. How do you keep the lows out of the tweeter?

I didn't stay long at last year's Capital Audiofest but it didn't take long to detect that there was real music coming from the Spatial room, much better than the million-dollar 'rich idiot' system on the first level.If this sounds as good as it looks this should be a winner.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2019, 07:06 am »
How do you keep the lows out of the tweeter?

With a capacitor...

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2019, 08:45 am »

Both models feature a cool new wideband, large dome unit which operates from 500Hz to 40kHz that is direct wired to the input terminals - no crossover or any components in its signal path![/i][/b]

So it there is n"no crossover or any components in its signal path", where is the capacitor?!?  :scratch:
Also puzzled as to how a passive radiator would work on an OB speaker....  :scratch:

Spatial Audio

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jul 2019, 07:11 pm »
Here is a nice comment from Ron Brenay at New Record Day about Vinnie Rossi and Spatial in discussion about the most intriguing products he has ever reviewed:

https://youtu.be/IbNZFFbSZbE

Clayton

sumoking

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jul 2019, 08:34 pm »
I had the same reaction as Ron.
It really moved me to go from a good transmission line box speaker to the M3S Turbos! It was so different and I immediately resonated with the character of the speaker.  I finally achieved the lifelike dynamics, transparency, timbre and soundstage that I was striving for in my listening room. 

Really looking forward to hearing more about the new M-3 Sapphires. This new series sounds like a nice jump up in sound quality and with the X 3/5 speakers I’ve got some great options to choose from!
Cheers.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jul 2019, 07:59 am »
May I ask, was there an issue with the prototype from the Scottsdale Speakerfest? I can joy ask as that the first time I’ve gotten to experience OB speakers. Spatial is the top of my list and most likely I’ll be buying blind so even if there were issues it at least gives me a frame of reference.

displayname

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jul 2019, 10:41 am »
These look awesome, and obviously have a great price point. I'd love to hear some if they ever make their way to Dallas.

RonN5

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jul 2019, 03:12 pm »
Clayton,

Presumably, the new M3 and M5 have wider dispersion than the current M3/M4 models which are labelled as controlled directivity?  I know there are situations where controlled directivity is preferred...but I've usually found that wider dispersion results in more ambiance and a larger soundstage.

Thanks.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #16 on: 8 Jul 2019, 05:06 pm »
These look impressive and I cant wait to get my grubby hands on a pair. Thanks for the link to the video, Clayton. Appreciate you!

-Ron
NRD.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jul 2019, 06:48 pm »
Ron - super great video, hadn't seen that one yet.  Your work is so informative and helpful.  I REALLY liked Tech Talk Tuesday number 1 and 2, hearing Danny Richie explain some things was revelatory!

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jul 2019, 06:54 pm »
Clayton the M3 and M5 Sapphires look great and I'm sure are going to sound fantastic.  Having no caps or anything in the signal path to the wide range domes has got to be a good thing.  Quoting Danny Richie Tech Talk Tuesday episode 1 video: "A lot of speakers truncate the spatial cues in the upper frequency ranges, often because of low quality or cheap capacitors.  Capacitors have a tendency to hold the signal and then release it causing a smeared effect, which truncates the spatial cues." 

I suspect this problem is either substantially or completely eliminated with high quality caps and careful testing and selection as explained in that video.

« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2019, 04:26 pm by Hear Clifford Brown »

kheidenr

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jul 2019, 09:16 pm »
Clayton,

How will the M5 and M3 perform with low wattage tube amps - say 4 watts?  Is the impedance curve pretty flat for the dome?  Would you recommend bi-amping if we used a low wattage tube amp with the sapphire dome driver?