I am new VMPS owner

underdawg

• Industry Participant
I am new VMPS owner
« on: 14 Jan 2009, 03:48 am »
I have always wanted to own a pair,I just recently purchased my first pair used.
I got super tower 3s i believe.
Thanks to John for helping with the overhaul , which has so far been the 12 inch mid bass and 15 inch woofers.
I did experince my fisrt time catching the ribbon tweeters on fire ,the glow blue then went up in flames when I tried to bi amp . added a cap in series with heils to try to prevent that in future.
I replace the smoked tweeters with HEIL tweeters I had laying around due to smoke test.
I am a budget audiophile,I was on the Orion board of advisors for several years,I began in this hobby with audiomart the 1 every 10 classified add in the mail,I do ebay and audiogon, I have owned over 50 amps preamps,a few cd players and other stuff,in the end what I have the least money in I keep unless the difference is way above and beyond in the price.
I live in Texas and work in Colorado.
Texas system
Lexicon dc 1 preamp
2X white audio labs b2's bridged
sony cd player
cal audiop labs cal sigma 2 dac
synergistic , wireworld speaker cables biwire,nordost black knite and mit interconnects
Swan Allure speakers
NHT sub 2
My Denver system consists of :where I am currenly listening
Hafler dh 100 preamp
VAA70 mk 3 tube amp
Adcom 5802 solid state amp
Cal audio labs sigma 2 tube d/a converter
truetech cd transport
interconnects voodoo and nordost black knight
speaker cable  monster m1000 and home brew nordost type copper ribbon
VMPS tower 3s 1980's vintage I think
very pleased so far with sound will be refoaming the pr's and vitrifying them and resealing all drivers and binding post cups with silicone.
Thank you Brian for getting my replacement woofer shipped out before the holidays I know you had to be busy.
Thank you John for your help with the overhaul.
I favor extremely tight bass so any suggestions from the forum would be appreciated in tweeking the VMPS's.

John Casler

Re: I am new VMPS owner
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2009, 03:15 pm »
Welcome to the VMPS Circle and it is great to have "vintage and classic" VMPS owners posting.

VMPS has a strong Heritage (I recently posted a couple older review links) and over 30 years of speaker building.

If you look through the Picture sticky, you may find a couple.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2009, 03:30 pm »
john,
I did surf most of the posts here for vmps, nice pics of systems also,plus all the tweek information was interesting also, I am going to try some of them.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2009, 04:06 pm »
Well I wanted to upload some pics of my progress on tweeking.
Any help s to how to post pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

flasm

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2009, 04:24 pm »
Hey Underdawg,

I'm pretty much brand new here but I found a very easy site for uploading your pictures so that I could put the pic of my ST3 up in my post, it's http://www.imagehost.org/  You just upload your picture and it'll give you links to copy paste, if you want the picture to show up in your post just copy paste the text in the forum box on the next screen after you upload your picture!

Hope that's simple enough.. or not too simple if you didn't need quite that much help at it! 

Anyhow, thought I'd let you know since it was very easy for me to use it thought it might get you fixed up!

Chad

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2009, 05:04 pm »
thank for the help I will try it tonight  :D

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2009, 12:33 am »
[/img][/img]

underdawg

• Industry Participant

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2009, 12:41 am »
I have posted 2 links to show some of what I have done so far, any comments would be appreciated.
I have replaced the 12 inch woofers ordered from VMPS.
I have replace the 15 inch woofers from VMPS.
I replace 1 mid in each with the new kevlar mids.
I have done a bass tweek by adding dampers to the 15s and 12s.
I replaced the ribbon tweeters with HEIL tweets-all i had funds were limited the originals caught on fire and glowed bright blue thats another story.
I sound coated the passive radiators and the the chamber they reside in ie the vent at the bottom.
I replaced the tweeter rings.
sound is amazing so far.I have played them trhough 50 watts to 375 watts and all i can say is wow.
The most fun is tweaking and listening and friends have heard every stage.
This is the most fun I have had since the audiomart days waiting for the classified mail payiing extra to get it early from Walt.

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2009, 12:52 am »

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2009, 12:57 am »

mjosef

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2009, 05:47 am »

Are those strips of foam on the drivers the 'dampers'? If so, what benefits does it bring to the sound?

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2009, 04:21 am »
foam strips soon to be treated with sound coat stuff from parts express.
in my listening rom it tighten the bass lessened the boom
but with that said it does slow the driver speed to react.

mjosef

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2009, 04:34 am »
foam strips soon to be treated with sound coat stuff from parts express.
in my listening rom it tighten the bass lessened the boom
but with that said it does slow the driver speed to react.

If you ment the Blackhole5 like stuff PE carries, I would agree its application will tighten up the bass considerably. I applied BH5 to my RM1s inner walls and it was a big improvement.
My speakers came with the soundcoat layer( kind of a thick white coat of paint).