RM30 slimline floordstander !

azryan

Just guessing. No one flip out.
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov 2003, 07:43 pm »
An odd number of the same drivers I think have to be wired in series in this case?

I forget, but think they'd keep the same effi. as one driver? If you used 4 neos like in the 40's you could wire them to increase the effi.?

Eric, I wouldn't think the speaker would only have a woofer on the side though as it's not playing 'sub' waves only. It'd still be playing an octave or two of directional sound, and I wouldn't want that firing into a side wall?

Your X's front 10" woofer will be the only one doing that above 'sub range' I think.

It'd be killer though 'if' 3 neos could be wired to add 3db each w/ the 2nd and 3rd neo over a single 86db neo effi.

Then use 3 6.5" woofers below the neo's w/ thier effi. boosted the same.

As far as I know that wouldn't work though? Anyone know driver wiring?
You almost never see odd numbers of same drivers for this reason.

That'd be a much closer match to the FST though than having to knock the FST down 10db in the 626R.

If you just had 3 neos wired in series w/ the same 86db effi. as one, then you might as well just have a single 6.5" woofer on the face to play the directional range below the neos (like the 626R).

Then either have a x-over designed to roll the woofer off at ~60-80Hz and connect to the matching subs, or possibly have a side mounted set of 8" or a single 10" woofer for the deep bass (or the option to buy w/ sidemounted woofer or w/o, but I doubt that'll happen).

That'd be a killer 4-way in a slimline design that so many people have been asking for, and plenty full range, but w/ a single or dual subs should have every great attribute of any of the RM line.

Or you could have dual 6.5" woofers on the face wired in series just to handle more power but not more effi.

Rob... I think Mark's cabinet won't be an 'option', but will probably be the only place that an RM-30 cabinet will come from.

Just a 'good guess' I think based on suposed 'facts' that've been written that it seems like all the cabinets will eventually be made in China 'cept for the X.

ekovalsky

« Reply #21 on: 16 Nov 2003, 08:52 pm »
Well azryan, with 3 neo's the midrange sensitivity would bump to just above 90db/octave -- log(3)*10 + 86 = 90.77

The FST is 96db so it would have to be significantly attenuated.  A pair of the spiral ribbons may be a better level match, and they are damn good tweeters in my opinion.  Don't know about the 6.5" woofers, but 90db doesn't seem far off from a pair of them.

In my head, I see this system with a pair of 6.5" woofers, three neo midranges, and a pair of spiral tweeters, in an enclosure about 50" tall, 8" wide, and 8-12" deep.  Maybe a sculpted case if MLS can whip the PLC assembly line to fast action.  

I'd expect the woofers on the bottom, the three midranges in a mini-line array, then two spiral tweeters at the top.  Probably a sealed box, will slot loaded subwoofer an extra big box.

:scratch:

Sedona Sky Sound

« Reply #22 on: 16 Nov 2003, 11:50 pm »
If Brian is doing the "super secret" thing he briefly discussed with me a few months ago, I think everyone is going to be floored by what they see  :o . Lets just say that the assumptions being made in this thread as to what the RM30 is going to be (and its similarity to the RM2 or RM40) are possibly way off  :mrgreen: .

As with everyone else, I can't wait to see and hear what Brian has cooked up.

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

ekovalsky

« Reply #23 on: 17 Nov 2003, 02:15 am »
Let's hope so.  Heck, maybe it was another napkin doodle come to life  8)

wshuff

« Reply #24 on: 17 Nov 2003, 02:25 am »
Let's all pull out our napkins and start drawing.  Whoever gets closest to the actual design wins! :lol:

big gun junge

« Reply #25 on: 17 Nov 2003, 04:52 am »
I am going to have to watch this. Can I prepay?

John Casler

« Reply #26 on: 17 Nov 2003, 05:00 am »
Quote from: big gun junge
I am going to have to watch this. Can I prepay?

Big Gun Junge,

You certainly can. :mrgreen:

Operators are standing by now! :lol:  :lol:

Seriously, if you want to be the first in line, let me (or your local dealer) know.

This promises to be one of the best VMPS offerings ever and I can't even tell you about it yet :roll:

Q

« Reply #27 on: 17 Nov 2003, 03:33 pm »
"This promises to be one of the best VMPS offerings ever"
 :P
Hmmmm...does this mean that I can get an even better deal on a pair of RM40s? :?:

Redbone

« Reply #28 on: 18 Nov 2003, 01:05 am »
Okay, I'll throw in my two cents.  It's called RM30, so it is similar to the RM40, Ribbon Monitor and all, but thinner.  Hmm, I will guess that the 10" woofers are gone.  It has the same Neo Ribbons and FST, but is using something else for the bass.  Based on Julian's comment, maybe something exotic for the lower frequencies.  Is there a ribbon that can do bass ?

Marbles

« Reply #29 on: 18 Nov 2003, 01:09 am »
Don't forget the matching 215 subwoofer which was announced with it.

HMMMMMM 2 15" ?

Sounds like it could be something very nice  :wink:

warnerwh

« Reply #30 on: 18 Nov 2003, 01:24 am »
"Hmmmm...does this mean that I can get an even better deal on a pair of RM40s?"

Sounds like a good possibility, that was my thought too.  This new speaker though may be a better idea than the 40 and the price is right.  It does sound like two 15's in the new subs.  It's also interesting that new subs would have been designed just for this speaker as there's already a pretty good lineup available.

Marbles

« Reply #31 on: 18 Nov 2003, 01:33 am »
BC was thinking on an Elixir style sub..that is one with side, forward and down firing woofers like the bottom part of the Elixer speaker.  My guess is the new sub is in this style.

azryan

« Reply #32 on: 18 Nov 2003, 08:49 pm »
Eric,

How would you wire those three neos to get that number?

There's really only series and parallel right? One I thought would keep the effi. the same asa single driver and the other would increase effi. but drop the Ohms down to amp popping range?
No?

"-Lets just say that the assumptions being made in this thread as to what the RM30 is going to be (and its similarity to the RM2 or RM40) are possibly way off."

If this is true then the name RM-30 seems like it'd be a poor choice for something so radically diff. than the RM-2 or 40?

Is there any chance Brian's getting slightly longer neo panels made and 2 of them plus and FST would be about 30" long?

A longer neo might be able to run an octave lower too to cover the whole directional area of sound making whatever sidemounted woofers a do-able option?

I wouldn't want planars playing donw that low though myself. No 'kick' like only a woofer (or a HUGE planar) can do.

Sure seems like w/ matching subs the 30 wouldn't need or have full range bass like the other RM models attempt to hit. Which is something I've certainly been thinking VMPS should be doing for a long time now.

Maybe 4 Neos and a top mounted FST w/ dual 6.5" woofers. That should be the perfect VMPS in performance and value for anyone w/ subs.
If this ain't the 30... this should be the 'next' slimline model IMO.

JoshK

« Reply #33 on: 18 Nov 2003, 08:55 pm »
Quote from: azryan
Maybe 4 Neos and a top mounted FST w/ dual 6.5" woofers. That should be the perfect VMPS in performance and value for anyone w/ subs.
If this ain't the 30... this should be the 'next' slimline model IMO.

My thoughts exactly!

rosconey

« Reply #34 on: 18 Nov 2003, 10:38 pm »
i guess i can spill the beans- :o - its going to be a true array-but a stand mount one(the subs are the stands)36" tall and 11''wide, will consist of a 28-36 '' ribbon and new 5.5inch woofers(6). should sound very nice :mrgreen: