Cap upgrades

Zoe

Cap upgrades
« on: 17 Nov 2003, 05:30 am »
Ihave read quite a bit about how great the various capacitor upgrades are. What I have never seen is any talk about what they are for.  I can only guess that they are capacitors in the crossover electronics.  But maybe I am wrong.  Another question is how many capacitors are involved in the upgrade.  For $1200 you would think you are buying hundreds of the little buggers.  But maybe not.  Also, is this upgrade always done during the orignal purchase or can it be done after the original purchase?

PLMONROE

Cap upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2003, 05:53 pm »
Zoe -- do a search and see my post "TRT's and active biamplification for the RM-40's" of 10/07/2003.

Paul

theint

Cap upgrades
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2003, 01:23 am »
What are you looking to upgrade? Speakers? amp components? Preamp?

I would target your speakers first. Make sure you use polypropylene as they have a very low 'K' value (this is a good thing) Auricap makes a damn good cap. It will probably cost you $100.00 to do so depending on your crossover.

Next I would target your coupling capacitors (if you can identify where they are) Again use good quality caps. Teflon, polypropylene, some say paper in oil$$$$.

Lastly you could change your power supply electrolytics in your power amp. This will help you at high listening levels