Which speaker wire for the RM40s?

LAL

« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2003, 11:33 pm »
Julian, sorry about misspelling your name in the previous post.

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2003, 12:10 am »
Hello,

I disagree with certain implications of this discussion.  In "high end" audio specifically, it's very easy to say value-oriented product "X" beats out many megabuck products.  While this is often true, I would not say that always it is possible to acheive equal performance with a less expensive product.  

Specifically, to say that the Lowe's cables are the best heard would be incorrect when quite often the performance of the cables are not the system bottleneck.  We'd all like to believe the same performance is available for less money - sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't.  The additional neutrality and clarity well engineered cables provide can't be ignored; often though the difference isn't noticable until all of the other components are of a sufficient performance level.

I've been fortunate to listen to various reference cables from Nordost, HMS, Empirical Audio, Prana Wire, and Omega.  While given my disposable income I could never affordably justify the purchase, I also know the final levels of refinement and clarity they offer in world-class systems is very, very noticable.

As always, trust your ears, and keep an open mind.

Kind Regards,

Rup

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 23 Oct 2003, 12:37 am »
One thing that you have to have good cables for, which cannot be addressed by tuning, is dynamics (micro and macro).  That's one reason I have the Nitro's, dynamics are amazing.

SWG255

Stan Warren speaker cables for RM40s?
« Reply #23 on: 23 Oct 2003, 01:07 am »
Hi,

Where can one find instructions for making the Stan Warren cables? Must I call him, or are they available on the net?

Thanks.

John Casler

Re: Stan Warren speaker cables for RM40s?
« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2003, 01:43 am »
Quote from: SWG255
Hi,

Where can one find instructions for making the Stan Warren cables? Must I call him, or are they available on the net?

Thanks.

Look about 3-4 posts down here: http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8660

SWG255

Re: Stan Warren speaker cables for RM40s?
« Reply #25 on: 23 Oct 2003, 02:36 am »
John,

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Sedona Sky Sound

« Reply #26 on: 23 Oct 2003, 04:44 am »
Hello Rup,
In general, I do agree with you. Cables do offer that lest level of refinement when everything else in the chain is "optimized". I have tried a couple of different front-end and pre-amps in the mix. With a bad pre-amp (pre-amp processor actually), cables were definitely not the weakest link in the chain (but some difference could still be heard). With "reference" level gear the difference in wire (especially interconnects) is blatantly noticable.  

That being said, I have tried the system with "reference" level components and the Stan Warren design (actually a slight modification of the design) did hold up pretty well. I have not tried every "reference" wire out there so I am sure that there is probably something even better. However, for the bass on the RM40s and the RM/X, I actually have NOT found it yet. I have come across some that were potentially as good, but none that I could characterize as better.

For the mids/treble, there is definitly better than the standard Stan Warren design (but nothing I have heard is a night/day better). A very tightly woven 14 AWG equivalent cable made from 24 or 26 AWG Teflon covered silver (or silver plated copper) WILL sound better. Not sure if anyone is making this commercially. My hands cramp up just thinking about making another one of these (was NOT fun so no plans to make another unless someone has a really large wad of cash they want to get rid of  :mrgreen: ).

Happy listening.        

Julian

jakepunk

« Reply #27 on: 24 Oct 2003, 05:17 am »
What is everyone's opinion of Monster cable, such as consumer-grade Monster XP?  I use it with my Tower IIs, and it sounds fantastic compared to Home Depot zip cord!  Much better bass, imaging, powerful transients, and no hash.  It's like night and day.  (Note that Monster cable is used internally in the Tower IIs.)

SWG255

Monster cable
« Reply #28 on: 24 Oct 2003, 11:54 pm »
Hi,

I have Monster cable as a bi-wire set on my Synthesis LM-30s now. It is indeed preferrable to zip cord or many of the designer cables prevelent when I bought it back in 1984 or '85. I think Monster cable is a good choice for the money but upgrading to better cable is probably a worthwhile investment as long as the other major components in your system are satisfactory. I just ordered some Audience Conductor cable for my LM-30s, and I have no doubt it will be better all around than the Monster cable, but we'll see when it arrives. There's some question whether it will be satisfactory on the RM40s if i decide to buy them, but that too remains to be heard. I think most Monster cable provides good bass, and can make the system seem like it's playing louder with the same position of the volume knob as compared to cheaper cable, but in the only cable comparisons I've heard lately, it sounds a little hard in the midrange and lacks detail and "air". However, the better sounding cables were all substantially more expensive than my monster cable, so until now i didn't think it worthwhile to upgrade.