Onix Strata Mini?

Stimpy

Onix Strata Mini?
« on: 8 Nov 2006, 10:42 pm »
Hey Guys,

Does anyone here know anything about the new MLS AV123 Onix Strata Mini?  Anyone heard it yet?  Too soon?  Very interesting design, that should sound sweet.  One of the main reasons, for my curiosity, is it's planar mid.  I wonder, how it will compare to the 626R and RM30?  I'd love to read comparison reviews.

Check it out:

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=54

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?s=c2311202722943ac160b25b46f194d20&threadid=16880

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?s=c2311202722943ac160b25b46f194d20&threadid=16886

Finally, it's nice to have Brian & Mark produce some great value for-the-dollar products.  I hope this will continue for many years to come!

Thanks,  :D

Stimpy

P.S. - I hope it's OK to ask questions, about another speaker brand.  If not, please delete this thread.  Don't want to cause issues...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Onix Strata Mini?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2006, 04:15 am »
There actually is an AV123 Circle here at AC.  You might get a response there.

Stimpy

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2006, 12:55 pm »

Hi Rob,

I own modified Monsoon FPF-1000's & FPF-600's (former Best Of CES winners), for my front and rear home theater speakers.  Monsoon never marketed a matching center channel.  I've toyed with either building one myself, or finding a commercially available speaker, that would hopefully be a close match to the Monsoons.  Hence my interest in VMPS, (I've only heard VMPS once - RM30's at the 2004 CES), and AV123 Mini's (which I've never heard).  While AV123 doesn't offer a center (yet?), Brian does.  So, I was hoping between the 2 companies, to find a useable center, (or upgrade the next set-up planar system).  So, if anyone had heard both planars, from both companies, I'd have a better idea if one or the other could work for me...

Thanks for any help,

Simpy

gitarretyp

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2006, 04:24 pm »

Hi Rob,

I own modified Monsoon FPF-1000's & FPF-600's (former Best Of CES winners), for my front and rear home theater speakers.  Monsoon never marketed a matching center channel.  I've toyed with either building one myself, or finding a commercially available speaker, that would hopefully be a close match to the Monsoons.  Hence my interest in VMPS, (I've only heard VMPS once - RM30's at the 2004 CES), and AV123 Mini's (which I've never heard).  While AV123 doesn't offer a center (yet?), Brian does.  So, I was hoping between the 2 companies, to find a useable center, (or upgrade the next set-up planar system).  So, if anyone had heard both planars, from both companies, I'd have a better idea if one or the other could work for me...

Thanks for any help,

Simpy

What about Eminent Technology? The designer/owner of ET, Bruce Thigpen, also designed the drivers for the monsoon speakers (and the drivers VMPS used a few years ago).

Zheeeem

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2006, 07:45 pm »
Hey Guys,

Does anyone here know anything about the new MLS AV123 Onix Strata Mini?  Anyone heard it yet?  Too soon?  Very interesting design, that should sound sweet.  One of the main reasons, for my curiosity, is it's planar mid.  I wonder, how it will compare to the 626R and RM30?  I'd love to read comparison reviews.

P.S. - I hope it's OK to ask questions, about another speaker brand.  If not, please delete this thread.  Don't want to cause issues...

Uh.  Nope.  I've not heard the Strata mini.  But I reckon that a really nice HT would consist of a pair of RM30s, a pair of 626s, a larger sub, and a LRC for the center.

warnerwh

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2006, 12:13 am »
Stimpy: The Vmps center is an amazing center channel. I had a friend who balked at spending a grand on his center. I finally convinced him it was the smart move. Two weeks after he received it he called me and thanked me. He also told me "this must be the best center channel speaker in the world". Obviously he's very happy with his purchase.

The VMPS center can be set for full range as the bass is excellent. The clarity is second to none. You will have to pay at least 3 grand to even come close to the performance of this center. I'm not aware of anything even at 3k that's competetive.

The Monsoon's you own have Sonigistix(spelling) panels in them. They're very very similar to the VMPS panels. Vmps rebuilds the Sonigistix panels and has also won best of CES. Actually second place once also. The match would be a perfect match for your Monsoons. Ask your local dealer for prices as we commonly give Audiocircle members  discounts.