new tweak

audiochef

new tweak
« on: 18 Apr 2004, 04:27 am »
I just today aquired mirror gloss plexiglass, 20x12/12. By 1/8th . Have'nt
quite figured on final shape yet, but I'll post picture.

By the way , this was first as I know of invented by my friend, called sound capes,inveteed 10years ago, made of foam sheets ,draped behind his speaker twords the front. the results were dramatic, but uguly.

Stan

audiochef

tweak
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2004, 12:24 am »
I just now cut, trimmed and custom fit vinal damping sheets on top of my very needy first generation top of the 40s.

I got the idea from the tower 2s that I still own and seem to not only be identicle, but also effective. Looks  great  by the way ,as good as t2s.

The plexiglass over plate will be next prodject soon to report on.

audiochef

plexi
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2004, 02:56 am »
couldn'nt wait for plexi upgrade, well worth it. beautifully matched, mirror black.

Sticks out about 3/12nches ,triangle shaped and funtional.

John Casler

???
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2004, 03:19 am »
Hi Stan,

For the life of me, I can't figure out what this tweak is, or how it is set up.

Sorry...but could you explain in a bit more detail?

Thanks

audiochef

Tweak
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2004, 03:45 am »
John the king modifier dosn't  understand my simple tweaks similar to what you've been doing for last 2 years?

You  own t2s SEs right? they have what figure is a vinal dampiming sheets verry pro installed on top. that's what I did to my 40s , cause no need for xplaintion why it must be done. Yes it did absorb exes boom - faster if you will.

Finnally ,you're familiar the top shield above the wooofer which helps negate ceiling bounce.

Total yield is less room  reflection and is truly the next step to truer ,liver music Which these speakers can produce.

By the way , I feel my 40s are at least totally up to date with latest generation.  

Thanks deservedly creditedly to MR. Brian Cheney!

PLMONROE

new tweak
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2004, 04:15 am »
HUH ???????????????????????????????

audiochef

tweak
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2004, 04:23 am »
Paul,

what don't you get ? I'll be glad to explain.

John Cassler , do you understand what I wrote?

Stan.

audiochef

tweak
« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2004, 04:30 am »
Hey guys,

I'll take digital pics now and I'll see if I can get them posted.

I don't know jack about  howm to go about it.

StAN

John Casler

Re: Tweak
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2004, 02:22 pm »
Quote from: audiochef
John the king modifier dosn't  understand my simple tweaks similar to what you've been doing for last 2 years?

You  own t2s SEs right? they have what figure is a vinal dampiming sheets verry pro installed on top. that's what I did to my 40s , cause no need for xplaintion why it must be done. Yes it did absorb exes boom - faster if you will.

Finnally ,you're familiar the top shield above the wooofer which helps negate ceiling bounce.

Total yield is less room  reflection and is truly the next step to truer ,liver music Which these speakers can produce.

Hi Stan,

Actually I am still a little "in the dark".  I do own some T2s (regular with a tweeter in the top so there is nothing on the top of the speaker)

Are you saying you place a sheet of vinyl on the top of your RM40s which overhangs the front so that it performs the "sonic director" tweak I mentioned..and...also damps resonances?

That's what I'm getting so far.

I'll just take a look at the pics when they're up.

ATB

PLMONROE

new tweak
« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2004, 08:20 pm »
Me too. Thanks

Paul

audiochef

pICTURES ON gALLERY
« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2004, 03:14 am »
Hi guys,

sorry took 24 hours, but pics are up in gallerry.

After 5and 1/2 hours friend dosn't care to speack to me for few weeks.  

Thanks for making it happen Steve. And post your results of bracing your RMs already.  

Stan

Marbles

new tweak
« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2004, 03:25 am »
Cut us some slack and post a link to your gallery  :roll:

Thanks

audiochef

Screwy site
« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2004, 04:02 am »
I appologize people, it's just not fair why AC makes it so difficult to post simple pictures. I'm really Pd. A couple of them are there ,but not what does  justice , especially 6 hours worth of trying.

If anyone Knows how to instruct in laymans terms on how to post pics , I promise it'll be worth it .

jgubman

new tweak
« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2004, 04:20 am »
You have to cut and paste that link under the "URL for embedding this image:" text.

I'm more curious on how you managed to get 2 FST tweeters...

audiochef

cut and something
« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2004, 04:29 am »
Thanks very much ,J gubman. Much  appreciated ,even though I don't  have a clue what you mean.

John Casler

new tweak
« Reply #15 on: 20 Apr 2004, 01:47 pm »
OK Stan,

Now I gotcha.  Just as I suspected.  It is a shorter version of the "Sonic Director" (and much better looking I might add :) )

I would suggest "experimenting" with the amount of "overhang" you use for serious listening.  I found about 6" to be good, but I suspect that the actual amount will be related to the listening distance.

I think the further away you sit, the less overhang you'll need.

Good luck. :mrgreen:

BrunoB

new tweak
« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2004, 06:18 pm »
Audiochef,

here is a small example of what is needed in your post to show pictures:

--------------------------------------
Here are my picts:

-------------------------------------
Hope this helps,

Bruno

audiochef

Tweak
« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2004, 10:50 pm »
John,

your right, different lengths does change the sound.

Thanks for the kind words.

Bruno,  

thanks for the tips on posting, it's very thoughtfull of you.  

Stan

audiochef

new sound
« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2004, 03:21 am »
Well, since it seems that  it's either no one is interested or just reluctant to ask about the results of this new tweak, I'm going to let you all know what I think anyway.

There is an increase in both focus and mid bass. I had to add a tad of putty to tighten it up a bit.

Anyone who has 40s or giant MTMs , must at least  take  10 seconds to experiment  with this. There's no excuse not to . Just  use two pieces of cardboard  or anything similar.

In my opinion it's not a tweak , but an absolute necessity in the design of this alignment.

Not to take anything away from what Brian's done for  this masterpiece, but maybe Mr. Cheney might consider it for his signature series.

I've just been crancking Social D Live at The Roxy, remasters of AC/DCs Back in Black and If You Want Blood, You've Got It. While I'm sure my new oil caps in my amp help a little, most of this revelation is credited to the speaker tweaks!