RM-40 vs RM/X Elixir

ekovalsky

RM-40 vs RM/X Elixir
« Reply #20 on: 22 Nov 2003, 03:19 am »
I've had the A-1's, 20.1s, and also the IRS Beta and Apogee Divas.  The Divas and A-1's with Muse18 subs were at least as good as the 40's but obviously at significantly higher cost.  The Betas were LOUD but lacked the refinement of the VMPS.  Never got the 20.1's to sound all that great, I think a better crossover would have helped them.  Had B&W 801's a long time ago, didn't like em one bit.  The newer Nautilus series are better but still not my taste.

For a lot of the music I listen to, including new age and "classical crossover", the dipoles are very hard too surpass since the generate a fantastic (but false) ambience.  For more typical audiophile material blocking the back wave is the way to go...

I've heard Wilson X-1's and Watt/Puppies.  I would like them if they were 1/5 the price.  

The "ultra high end" speakers I'd like to hear are the Wisdom Adrenaline Rush, maybe at CES this year...

wshuff

RM-40 vs RM/X Elixir
« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2003, 04:39 pm »
Julian, thanks for the additional information.  For somebody like me who will probably never see or hear the RM/X, but who has heard the RM40, the specifics and details are most welcome, because that's as close as I'll get.  Wish you'd stay around and play in this thread because it has been fun.

azryan

RM-40 vs RM/X Elixir
« Reply #22 on: 22 Nov 2003, 05:28 pm »
Julian,

Uh... I know you said you're leaving this thread, but anyway...

It seems like your analogy of 10 foot vs. 1 inch driver doesn't relate at all to the 40's floor mounted deep bass woofer and mid room height, slightly wider band bass woofer vs. the X's w/ the same drivers ,just one being a 12" instead of a 10" and both near-floor mounted?

It seemed like you were saying the diff. in the 10 foot vs. 1 inch driver comes from where you're measuring it as you can move one meter up from the 1" driver and it'll drop it's SPL, but of course moving one meter up from a 10' driver and you'll still be in front of the driver and not loose SPL's.

People don't measure SPL by moving verically along a speaker, they move away from a driver.

In the 40's case the dual woofers in the 40's producing the 200Hz in your analogy would be acting as one driver (and why the design works even though those two drivers so far apart) to make that 5 and a half foot long soundwave.

It's like my dual 15" Tempest subs...

If I level matched them to my previous dual 12" Shiva subs (smaller version of the same driver. as is the 10" megawoofer in the 40 and 12" megawoofer in the X right?) the 15's are working much less than the 12's are, but both are moving the same amount of air.

The 12" woofers have less area than the 15's, but at the same SPL output as the 15's the 12's are moving further in and out equaling the same SPL and volume of air movement.

Brian,

I didn't know the cabinet was HDF not MDF. Seemed like no one else knew OR corrected anyone saying 'MDF'.
Hey, that's another good thing learned from this thread!

On the face thickness...
You kinda just repeated yourself though by saying "-The front baffle is indeed 5 3/4" thick."

I think you missed what I was asking about...

As far as I understand... the 'ground down' 'set back' part of the face on the sides of the Neos is 1.5" thick (I'm getting what I can from your web site info on it), not 5.75" thick.

The only part that is the 5.75" thick is the part that sticks out that the Neos attach to right?

But that part must be only 3/4" or 1" wide there (or maybe 1.5" max) or that section of HDF would stick out past the neo's edge (which from the pic.. it doesn't) OR the HDF would block the backside of the Neos (which I couldn't imagine you'd do)?

It'd be like taking two long sheets of 1.5" think MDF that were 5.75" wide and glueing them together at a right angle and calling it 5.75" THICK.

Technically true, but seems to be somewhat misleading.

It seems like you mean 5.75" DEEP -which may SEEM just like a synonym, but really not how people use these terms.

People usually use the term 'thickness' to describe the thinnest part of a section of wood.

Like if you buy a 4' x 8' x 3/5" sheet of MDF at Home Depot. No one says it's 4' or 8' thick. Everyone says it's 3/4" thick.

Also... maybe you missed this question...

Can people expect cross bracing like this in the 40's being made in China?

ekovalsky

RM-40 vs RM/X Elixir
« Reply #23 on: 22 Nov 2003, 06:24 pm »
I'm ready to leave this thread too, but ...

1) I would think the variable thickness of the front baffle would decrease resonances, or at least diffuse them over a broader frequency range.

2) The front of the baffle, where the neo's are mounted, should be almost 6" thick.  Baffle will drop to 1.5" thick or so only at the lateral edges where it meets the cabinet sides.

3) What's the difference between MDF & HDF?  I'm sure I could find it on the net but I'm lazy.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
RM-40 vs RM/X Elixir
« Reply #24 on: 22 Nov 2003, 11:56 pm »
Eric
That is the daw-gon cutest picture of George Bush holding a bong that I have ever seen!  I love it every time I see it.

azryan

RM-40 vs RM/X Elixir
« Reply #25 on: 23 Nov 2003, 02:08 am »
"-2) The front of the baffle, where the neo's are mounted, should be almost 6" thick. Baffle
will drop to 1.5" thick or so only at the lateral edges where it meets the cabinet sides.-"

That's most of the face though. Don't want to tick anyone off though arguing or anything esp. a nice guy like you who offered to let me hear your pretty much 100% new system again.

Maybe in person I can point to what I mean and we'll probably just both agree about what we're talking about as we'll just look at it and see what it is.

"-3) What's the difference between MDF & HDF? I'm sure I could find it on the net but I'm lazy.-"

Medium Density Fiberboard and High Density Fiberboard.

Close to the same thing but the the HDF is harder packed.

Two cabinets of the same size and thickness. One MDF, one HDF... the HDF one will be be heavier, harder, less resonant.

Wonder if an MDF face was getting chipped out when ground away and needed to be HDF to get a clean enough surface? Wish I could watch an X face being made.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rmx
« Reply #26 on: 23 Nov 2003, 05:40 am »
The top 48" of the front baffle are cut away to a depth of 4" to eliminate the horizontal diffraction path for the mid panels.

The rest of the 72" Hx 12.5" W  enclosure has a 5 3/4" thick HDF front baffle.  The front firing 10" sits in four HDF thickness of 1.25" material plus another 3/4" thick MDF panel, all laminated together.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
RM-40 vs RM/X Elixir
« Reply #27 on: 27 Nov 2003, 07:01 pm »
Quote from: Sedona Sky Sound
Hello Jim,
I think I may understand one of the problems here. You have things so mixed up that even I am confused  :scratch: . Let me break this down some:

Trinaural RM/X: The Trinaural/RMX/RM40 setup is NOT my reference system. My reference system is Stereo RM/X bi-amped with Ampzilla 2000 monoblocs with all other speakers removed from the room. As I mentioned in my Trinaural review, there is no suitable way to do a dealer audition of a Trinaural setup. The only good way to demo the Trinaural is to pu ...

Many thanks for Julian clarifying what may have been an incredibly anal mistake on my part, regarding a misunderstanding on the pot positions.