alphas vs rm40s

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
alphas vs rm40s
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jul 2003, 09:11 pm »
" Oh yeah... and how deranged is it to have two FST's on a single speaker? You alsready have to heavily pad down one 96db ribbon, and you're not creating any kind of line or anything. "

My thoughts exactly.

The ribbons are not lush, they are transparent.  Jason's 626Rs are lush, hooked up to all tubed gear.  My 40's are not lush, just smooth and detailed.

I've noticed that the upper bass of the 40s increases tremendously with a BIG power amp (ie, 500-800 watts).  Dunno why that is, but I've heard it on two different sets of rm40's.  I also noticed that when I put my new base plates on my speakers (they are wider and taller than the original set).  The low bass lessened a little and the upper bass increased, giving me a better balance between low/mid/upper bass.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
alphas vs rm40s
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jul 2003, 09:53 pm »
I mean 500-800 watts in to 4 ohms.  My Fetvalve is 500 in to 4ohms, but the JC-1's and Spectron Musician II's I've heard have even more power on tap, and even more slam in the midbass.

audiochef

not copy
« Reply #22 on: 23 Jul 2003, 05:43 am »
I'm sorry for comming across  as conceeded,but didn't intend to . What I really mean is that there are so many 40 owners that my orriginal idea I'de like to keep for my own one of akind. Thismeans alot to me since I used to be a chef creating my own specials. Hope this helps clarify my request, since so many of my food ideas were stolen from me. Thanks for at least trying to understand my point of view. but it would be a complement to me ,if anyone else want's to duplicate my idea. Feel free. Thankyou all , just as long as it  enhances  audio. That's all I'm really concerned with. AUDIOCHEF

audiochef

who audiochef is
« Reply #23 on: 23 Jul 2003, 06:28 am »
Stan chan ,chef for over 17 years and audiophile for 23 years. OK?thanks

audiochef

Am I credible
« Reply #24 on: 23 Jul 2003, 06:39 am »
By the way i've owned maggies1.6 ,acuostat 1100s, rm2s ,jbl-l200s and still own ess amt heils. VMps  beats them all, in my oppinion. you make the comparison , I still use ttse as my analog system. Nothing near the price can touch  them, electronics are 70 pioneer silver. go figure. VMPS rules. 415 751 0807 come for a listen.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
alphas vs rm40s
« Reply #25 on: 24 Jul 2003, 03:07 am »
Quote from: Juan R
audiochef is Jim Romeyn?

Jim Romeyn does not post anonymously.  BTW Juan, you already know my moniker is RibbonSpeakers, so what's up with the dumb question?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
alphas vs rm40s
« Reply #26 on: 24 Jul 2003, 03:29 am »
Quote from: Tyson
I mean 500-800 watts in to 4 ohms.  My Fetvalve is 500 in to 4ohms, but the JC-1's and Spectron Musician II's I've heard have even more power on tap, and even more slam in the midbass.

I've had a Spectron Musician II here for some time.  A long period had elapsed not listening to music immediately before I finally plugged in the II.  After it warmed up I thought it might compete with the A2Ks.  Upon returning to the A2Ks they are so much better that they are in a completely different league. Even though the A2K is rated lower in power, they sounded far more powerful.  Naturalness, smoothness, musicality, detail, image, stage, in every way a different class altogether.  My opinion is the 40s are far better than dear Eric's old Aragon 8008 amps.  Using lesser electronics in front of the 40s will skew the results to a lesser speaker (Ivor Tiefenbrun's Audio Hierarchy).  On a '67 Bug, $5000 worth of slicks made for Coultard's McClaren would produce worse handling than $200 worth of OEM bias-plies.  The Bug's suspension could not handle the forces applied through the slicks.  In this exaggerated analogy, the slicks = 40s, the bias ply a competing speaker, the Bug = inferior components/room.  Compare the same tires on the McClaren & what happens?

ekovalsky

alphas vs rm40s
« Reply #27 on: 24 Jul 2003, 06:41 am »
Jim you are right, the sound improved when the 8008BBs were replaced.  I'd have considered the A2K's but find their cosmetics repulsive, much like the attire of their designer  :shake:

I'm getting very sweet sound from Paul McGowan's latest creation, the PS Audio Classic 250.  It has a built in powerplant for the input stage.  And even my wife complemented its appearance  :thumb:  Pretty soon it will be matched with a P1000 powerplant, maybe another Classic 250, and with any luck a pair of RM/X  :singing:

Classic 250 (250/500 wpc into 4/8 ohms)

P1000

wshuff

alphas vs rm40s
« Reply #28 on: 24 Jul 2003, 12:52 pm »
That last post actually gave me my mornings first laugh.  Keep it up!

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
James B
« Reply #29 on: 24 Jul 2003, 03:33 pm »
You caught Mr. Ampzilla in his pajamas.  His day attire is considerably less modest.

Evenings he dons a full-length mink coat (honest!).

B

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
alphas vs rm40s
« Reply #30 on: 24 Jul 2003, 03:42 pm »
I don't get it, what's wrong with those glasses?  

Are camera warranties void taking close-ups of sun-spots?

You gotta love a guy who can smile wearing that.

audiochef

FROM 8008BB TO PS AUDO
« Reply #31 on: 24 Jul 2003, 04:32 pm »
Could you please describe to me the gains and losses of the two amps with your 40s . Thanks ,Stan

ekovalsky

alphas vs rm40s
« Reply #32 on: 24 Jul 2003, 05:30 pm »
I got a nice deal on a "mint demo" Classic 250, about 40% off retail.  There was very annoying HF noise in one channel that was from the amp.  I contacted PS Audio and they told me that early units had a problem where capacitative crossovers could result in noise.  They paid to have the "mint demo" shipped back to them, and they cross shipped (again at their expense) a brand new in box Classic 250 with a revised circuit.  As promised it is dead quiet.  Best customer service I've ever experienced.   :!:  

Comparing the "fixed" amp to the Aragons, I am getting a more natural midrange and very grain free treble.  With the Aragons there was a hint of HF hash (i.e. cymbals) and the midrange just didn't have the same quality, hard to describe.  Bass control is probable similar with both amps, but I'm using one stereo C-250 for both channels now, previously I was using the 8008BB amps in a vertical biamp, so each amp drove one speaker, one channel for the woofer and one for the mid/tweeters.  The PS is 250/500 into 8/4 ohms while each Aragon was (conservatively rated) 200/400.  So even though the PS is the more powerful amp, I'm driving each speaker with just over half the total watts.  So I'm very pleased the PS has such good woofer control.  The Aragons are stiff competition in this category -- they are known for their superior low bass power.  Probable would make the ultimate subwoofer amp.  If anyone has a VMPS larger sub and needs a killer amp to drive it let me know as I still have one 8008BB available for sale.  Other is already sold.

The PS Audio looks a world better than the Aragon and runs cooler too.  I think it idles at less than 70w or so.  The power storage meter rarely moves, it has a massive power supply.

audiochef

aragon vs ps audio
« Reply #33 on: 24 Jul 2003, 06:19 pm »
Thanks Ekovalsky  for your promt detailed desription of the two. I agree that the 8008 could have better treble, itcan be grainy. thankyou, happy listening .Stan