Meet the Magnetar speaker

HAL

Re: Meet the Magnetar speaker
« Reply #20 on: 10 Mar 2021, 12:18 pm »
After much time the production style baffle for the Magnetar is in build.  The prototype is in Red Oak and will be stained Barn Red with a gloss clear coat when done.  Using Minway style stains and finishes.

Here are renders of the open baffle speaker.

HAL

« Reply #21 on: 22 Mar 2021, 03:03 pm »
The final render of the new Magentar planer open baffle speaker is completed by the builder. 

Should be in CNC next week.  Once assembled off to finishing.

HAL

« Reply #22 on: 11 Apr 2021, 12:01 pm »
I will be picking up the first pair of the Magnetar open baffle planar speaker baffles on Monday.

Stay tuned to this thread for updates.

HAL

« Reply #23 on: 13 Apr 2021, 02:23 am »
The production style baffles have arrived. 

Installing the drivers and wiring.   Then some pictures in the room.  :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #24 on: 13 Apr 2021, 10:29 pm »
The first production pair of Magnetar open baffle planar speakers is complete.

Now to connect the Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblocks to the new dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover and servo subs for listening.

studiotech

« Reply #25 on: 14 Apr 2021, 09:38 pm »
That's really exciting.  Glad you're making progress. 

HAL

« Reply #26 on: 14 Apr 2021, 10:27 pm »
Thanks.

Just have to set them up at this point with the new amps and dial in the gains in the dspNexus 2x8.

HAL

« Reply #27 on: 18 Apr 2021, 10:45 am »
The listening room redo beginning with the Magnetar speakers setup on Pangea 32" stands.  The Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblock amps sit on the rear of the baffle.  Will use a 3x12 configuration of the GR-Research OB servo subs with a single Rythmik Audio HX300-12OB servo amp.

The dspNexus 2x8 is the entire front end for analog and digital sources.  It will also do RIAA phono EQ with a flat gain preamp infront. 

Will be setting up my updated Oracle Delphi MKI table for use with the modified DSA PhonoI preamp that provides flat gain with balanced outputs to drive the ADC's in the dspNexus 2x8.

HAL

« Reply #28 on: 19 Apr 2021, 11:45 am »
The system is now setup as follows:

The dspNexus 2x8, HAL MS-6 Music Server and Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblocks are all plugged into the DigiBUSS MKII that gets AC power from my BlunderBUSS.  Power cables are TWL customs made by Pete for me for the system.

Have the Magnetar DSP crossover block diagram loaded on the MS-6 and downloaded to the dspNexus 2x8 and it is running.  The dspNexus and MS-6 have been running for 24 hours to check stability and everything is fine.

Next, power up the monoblocks and just listen to the Magnetar OB planars to see how they sound before integrating the 3x12 Servo Sub arrays.  I have REW installed on the MS-6 and will be using the iMM-6 measurement mic for response and main to sub integration checks.

Fun stuff!

HAL

« Reply #29 on: 20 Apr 2021, 12:47 pm »
Yep, this is sounding excellent! 

A bit of adjustment needed for the new custom gain Starkrimson monoblocks as the higher gain is needed for these planars.

Just need to setup REW and the measurement mic to get the levels matched.

goryu

• Restricted
« Reply #30 on: 16 Jul 2021, 04:12 pm »
Any updates? When are these going to be available? Any additional info? Thanks.

HAL

« Reply #31 on: 16 Jul 2021, 04:44 pm »
The first production pair of Magnetar speaker baffles are being built now.  Once they are delivered and painted, will have final pricing.

The DSP crossover will be the Danville Signal dspNexus 2x8 system when is in production. 

The speaker system will come with pair of 2x12 OB H-Frame Servo subs with Rythmik Audio HX series servo amps.

If there are other questions, please let me know.

goryu

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 16 Jul 2021, 07:30 pm »
Thanks.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #33 on: 19 Aug 2021, 03:05 pm »
I am curious if you can discuss the design goals and your expected usage?  It looks interesting so I am curious what you see these competing against?

Keep up the good work!

HAL

« Reply #34 on: 20 Aug 2021, 12:30 am »
The Magnetars are a speaker system for a smaller size listening area with the 2x12 OB servo subs below 250Hz.   The planar radiation pattern is meant to be pointed at the listening position.   

The planar baffles do not need to be located with the servo subs.  I have stand mounted them on 32in stands with the subs located in more optimal positions.  The dspNexus 2x8 has time delay on the planar channels to adjust to the user setup.   The user setups the standard stereo amp with balanced inputs from the planar DAC outputs and the servo sub amps go to the other two channels of the DAC outputs. 

Like any OB speakers, the system should placed into the room at least 3ft, not near room boundaries. 

Since the dspNexus 2x8 is more than just the DSP crossover, it will have the capability to make measurements with a user furnished calibrated balanced output mic (i.e. Dayton Audio EMM-6 or other), it will assist in setup of the system as measurements can be made from the listening position (with the correct length XLR balanced mic cable and stand).   The mic calibration data file can be input to most measurement systems like REW for the correction.

Here is the Dayton Audio mic info:

https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/911/emm-6-electret-measurement-microphone

The dspNexus 2x8 has further goals discussed in that HAL AC thread.

Hope that helps with the Magnetars system concepts.