power

eastberlin

power
« on: 14 Sep 2004, 11:21 am »
Being in the ACI forum means most of us are familiar with very revealing loudspeakers, and I imagine many of you regularly tweak the rest of your systems to find the best possible signals to fead those speakers.  Right now I'm very curious about AC power and any effects that you all may have heard by introducing conditioners, cables, regenerators etc., both for front end components and for amplifiers.  

I recently installed a dedicated 20A circuit for my audio gear.  Frankly now that my system doesn't share the same 15A circuit as the rest of my basement, I think it sounds more open and less restricted.  But at the same time, I can't help but think that the difference is all in my head, since I simply feel better about having the gear on it's own line.

I don't want to start a heated debate, but since many of us are accustomed to listening to music through similar speaker systems, what are your experiences with tweaking AC power?

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Power
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2004, 03:16 pm »
I am also an ACI owner and have also a dedicated 20 amp circuit with high quality outlet/receptical. A very good audiofile friend of mine told me a year ago to check out Richard Gray Power Company. I could not see spending that kind of $ on a power conditioner but after a year of listening to my friend, I finally did purchase a 400 and I could not believe what it did. It did so much to the whole sound that I bought another 400 on Audiogon. Now I have 2 and even wrote Richard Gray a testimonial and it is now on there website. Check it out. I still can't believe what they have done. It is unbelievable and wonderfull.

eastberlin

power
« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2004, 07:37 pm »
Funny, that's the exact unit I have been thinking about lately.  It just boggles the mind how many times I've read exactly what you're saying about the RGPC.  Do you find that the change is clearly better or just noticeably different?  And if you had to rate the amount of difference it makes, would it on par with something subtle like upsampling or something major like replacing a mid-fi receiver with a high end DAC?

Thanks!

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Power
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2004, 08:07 pm »
The change was so much better that I could not believe. Of course once you have something for a while, that is how your system sounds. What they have done is opened everything up. Bigger,wider, deeper sound/better imaging. Things sound quicker like the snap of a snare drum or the drummer hitting the bell part of the cymbal, or the stike of the piano, deeper, tighter bass etc. I hope you get the idea. As far as how I would I rate it, I would put it in the same catagory as when I went from a line drive preamp to a Van Alstine TR-7.  That big of a difference. No kidding. My 4 mono amps even run cooler.