for Marbles

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
for Marbles
« on: 7 Jan 2003, 02:07 am »
You asked:

"Also I take it this floorstander will be a 3 way? "

Oh yes.

These are the test cabinets.  They are very low on my list of priorities.  They have been almost finished for several months.  I obviously have several pair of 1801's to build.  I also have a pair of Walnut cabinets for a guy in South America.  I am very behind on these too.

The cost... well... the initial cost migh be as low as $3k.

All of this is tentative.  If it doesn't work then I won't sell it.

Dave

I now know why those big Kharma, Lamm and Avalon speakers cost so much.  The cabinets are very difficult to build perfectly.  It is almost impossible not to ding/scratch them in the workshop.  My guess is that I could build 4-5 pair of 1801's before 1 pair of these.  The cabinet alone weighs about 150lbs.  

Dave
[/quote]

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
for Marbles
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2003, 02:58 am »
Very funny - a good laugh!

That is my chief quality control engineer in the picture.  He most surely checks the durability of everything.  Fortunately, he cannot throw the cabinets.

"Are they tilted for time alignment, looks, just to angle the drivers up a bit or all of the above."

You are looking at the front of the speaker.  The baffle will be flat.  It will be phase aligned, but not time aligned.  The slope on the side is for two reasons, the latter is much more important.  

1.  It allows some offset of the drivers and a narrower baffle around the woofer/tweeter while maintaining good decent aesthetics?  Offset drivers on a square flat baffle just look strange.

2.  The narrower top section allows a nice long tunnel out the back of the speaker.  It'll be stuffed for some loading of the driver.

2.  Do you know any respectable lady that would allow a big huge square box in her living room?  It'll be difficult enough to convince a gal to allow the huge cabinet.  Asking a gal to endure a huge square cabinet is just way too much.  This is true for my wife anyway.

"So is it the Hiqophon OW1, Seas Excell W18E001 and SCC300? "

Quite possibly, but there is an Accuton midrange that might work well too.  We'll see.

"Will Dennis Murphy do the XO for these? "

Yes.  I am getting better with my crossover design, but measuring below 300hz just isn't possible with my jig.  I only trust myself with easy paper/poly cone drivers.  These are soo much easier.  

"Can't hardly wait for next fall."

I am encouraged too. The SCC300 is a wonderful sounding woofer.  The speaker be expensive.  It won't have nearly the value of the 1801 but should sound very nice.  I have decided to pancake some other projects merely because I don't think there is a serious advantage to them.  I only have so much time.  The tall skinny cabinets are pancaked projects.  They are in the backround of the large 3-way cabinet.

How did you get the moniker "marbles"?

Dave

Al Garay

for Marbles
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2003, 02:59 am »
Dave,

Piece of cake. I'm sure Darren can handle it. I'll be ready to cut the holes and use about 1,000 biscuits. Man! I better start working out my forearms. That biscuit jointer gets heavy after a few hundred.

So, the kit will be about $1,200-1,500. Figuring most of the cost has to be the construction.

I don't think a demo tour is a good idea with these bad boys!

Al