Perpetual Technologies P-3A DAC with Dan Wright mods

audioengr

This piece is simply the most detailed, extended DAC I have ever heard.  With a good transport (low jitter), this DAC is on-par with the Sony SCD-1, even modded - I put it head-to-head.  The MF upsampling DAC is close and has a little better midrange (with mods), but it is not as extended (HF) at least with the mods I have heard.  A littel soft sounding for my taste.  The modified PT DAC even with the stock wall-wart is really really good. Very clear and grain-free, excellent imaging and bass impact.  Highly recommended.

I intend to upgrade the PS with a good toroidal transformer and I will report back.

jackman

« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2003, 02:07 am »
I totally agree with you on this one.  I listened to Audiojerry's P3A which has Dan's level 2 mods and was blown away.  Very extended and with a clean articulate bass response.  The best DAC I have ever heard...so far!

J

Lou

PT DAC
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2003, 12:19 am »
Interesting. I just moded a Sony DVP-S9000ES for a fellow who told me he had a Parasound Transport (belt driven?) and Perpetual Technology P-1A, P-3A combo with level 2 mods?

Not sure what all that means as I do not know PT gear, etc., but after receiving the Sony back he wrote this note;

Hi Lou,

Listed CDP, DAC, and Cables For Sale today. The Sony wins! And Handily! I appreciate your transforming my equipment. The sound is much more lifelike, richer harmonics, More air around instruments! I also prefer the mechanix of the Sony. Have to open a drawer (toploader) and place a weight on the disc with the Parasound. Less is more.

Not sure how it would have done against a level 3 moded P3A, but if it kicked PA3 level 2 butt so badly, it sure makes you wonder. I just which I could audition all I hear about! :-)

Lou

What did I say! :-)
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2003, 12:23 am »
I just which, was I thinking of Wickens, and should it have been witch? No, still a pagan thought however, I intended to say wish. :-)

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2003, 01:26 am »
I have read that the P-3A sounds better by itself after the mods.  Also, the Parasound transport was probably not the best choice.  Even the Sony will have a lot of jitter ont he digital out.  I modify these to stop the jitter.

audiojerry

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2003, 01:38 am »
audioengr,

When Jack heard my P-3A, he was also listening to it with the Monolithic Power Supply, which does make a very worthwhile improvement. It's a no-brainer upgrade. Since then, I have added the P-1A, which I believe has added the last possible improvement. Jack had the P-1A also, which I believe he was disappointed in, but not in combination with the Modwright P-3A and the Monolithic. Both devices plug into the Monolitic and benefit from it. The only thing I haven't done yet is experiment with digital interconnect. I got the Jena cryo cable from Dan when I bought the P-3A from him. I'm assuming it is just fine, but I haven't compared it to anything.

Lou

PT/Sony/et al
« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2003, 02:15 am »
Quote from: audioengr
I have read that the P-3A sounds better by itself after the mods.  Also, the Parasound transport was probably not the best choice.  Even the Sony will have a lot of jitter ont he digital out.  I modify these to stop the jitter.

I'm sure that just about anything can be improved. Do you use one of the "super clocks" or have you a mod of your own creation?

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2003, 08:32 pm »
Lou -  I rewire the digital section of the DVP-S7700 and move the parts around with my mod.  I do this after Dan's mods.  Involves cutting some traces.  Also I put some Still points EMI material inside.  Speeds-up the edges alot and eliminates some jitter.  costs $300.

Lou

Mod
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2003, 03:47 am »
Sounds like a pretty neat mod!

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2003, 12:29 am »
I'm doing one of these mods for Marbles, so I will be interested to see if his results were as good as mine.