Bolder Mensa - Initial thoughts

mcgsxr

« on: 15 Aug 2004, 05:18 pm »
Bolder Mensa   

Firstly, to set the scene, here is my current system, as it has been changing fluidly, over the past 3 months or so.

Nakamichi CD4 as transport
Monarchy DIP Superdrive
Bolder Mensa DIO
B&K pre/pro (analog, old school…)
Teac A-L700P Tripath amp
Totem Rokk speakers
Atlantis Reference stands
Powervar conditioner on transport and DIP
Dedicated lines for analog and digital components
Bolder Cables digital cables, and M-80 IC, DIY Cat5e speaker cables, Signal PC for B&K
Bolder PSU for the DIO

Up until 3 weeks ago, I had the smart version of the DIO, but decided to pop for the Mensa, after discovering that my smART still had the 7v output (my older amp, Sugden A28B integrated never did anything odd, but when I plugged in the new Teacs to the DIO, they distorted like crazy, and were popping the tweeters etc).  Wayne provided his customary fantastic customer service, turning the unit around in 1 week, making the Mensa upgrades, and lowering the output to 2.x volts.

I received the DIO back on Friday afternoon, and it has been running since.  I have had opportunity to listen to it for about 5 hours total, during this 40 odd hour run-in, and I understand that the full break in should be realized by 150 hours or so.

The music I use to determine the changes and or betterments to my equipment, is music that I have listened to for a long time.  My favourite audiophile cd is Rebecca Pidgeon, The Raven.  That title track, and Spanish Harlem, are songs that I bought my first real stereo system to – I hesitate to call it high end, but it clearly was better than mass market gear.  I kept that system intact for 10 years, and then earlier this year discovered the joys of the DIO modded by Bolder, and it has been a sweeping changing year ever since!

Rebecca’s voice is so clear and cleanly recorded, that it sounds good on any system – some of my friends discount the value of this cd for test purposes as a result, but to me, it is THE reason that I use it.  I know that it will sound good, the question becomes, will I be amazed, or just satisfied?  That is how I can use it to tell sound that is OK, from sound that I am pleased to have spent my $$ on.

In the case of the Mensa, it is clearly money well spent.  Clearly.  I am not the best with audiophile approved terms, but I believe the two that might be the most relevant are coherent, and defined.  The coherency part likely is self explanatory, as each instrument is wonderfully defined, and I can follow any of the parts through the song.  The definition part, too, is easy to understand, as a wealth of detail is now readily available – this is a hot button for me, as I go silly for extra detail in music – a better sense of air, more reverb, extra ability to hear each instrument, in its’ space etc.

So if it is all self explanatory, why am I wasting your bandwidth with this?  Well, there is one more issue that I am supremely happy about – emotional impact.  It seems that the addition of the Mensa in my system brings me closer to the music.  Rebecca’s inflection and breathing are more apparent, but it is an added sense of appreciating more of the emotion of her music, that has me so pleased with my DAC at present.

These impacts are not, thankfully, held specifically to this cd, but to all that I have had the opportunity to sample, so far.  Leonard Cohen’s 10 New Songs is another favourite of mine, from my audiophile approved collection.  His tone and emotion are also much more clearly communicated by this upgrade.

The last point I will make, regards less audiophile approved music – does this DAC now communicate as effectively with this medium?  Thankfully, yes to that too.  This morning I sped through some old Tragically Hip (Fiddler’s Green, 38 Years Old, Wheat Kings, and Last of the Uncut Gems) and was happy – these recordings are not fantastic, and their limitations are accurately delivered by the Mensa, but the emotional impact of the songs is better represented by this version of the DIO, than my previous version, the smART.

I also enjoyed a couple of Jewel songs, with a surprisingly widened soundstage on several.  Electronica, clearly at the other end of the musical scale for most, in comparison to what I have listed so far, also feels the effect of greater detail, without added glare of any kind - remember this is through the metal domes of the Totems, that many comment are hot or strident...

So, in short, the Mensa increases the pleasure that my system delivers (my ultimate test) and allows me to see further into each piece, thus being more rewarding to listen to.

Is there anything that is not better?  At this point, a scant 40ish hours into the 150 hour break in, I cannot find any.  Does this mean that the Mensa is the perfect DAC?  Doubtfully, with the advent of some serious hardware such as the Benchmark, some of the tube DAC’s readily available, and other mods made to other DAC, I am confident that there is better out there – BUT, this is the best I have heard IN HERE, which is ultimately the best compliment I can give to Wayne, and his excellent work and service.

I know that the Mensa is no longer considered SOTA by some, but if you are looking for the improvements that I mention, and your system is somewhat related to mine, AND your goals are similar to mine, I cannot more highly recommend this piece, in concert with Wayne’s offerings.

For me, the real allure of the DIO modded by Bolder is that as other FOTM pieces grab the spotlight, the cost of acquiring a DIO, partially or fully modded, drops, which offers a person focussed on value, over bragging rights, the opportunity to upgrade for a reasonable amount.

I look forward to what Wayne can do with my Teac Tripath, that is presently in transit to him.  I was biamping, but all these comments are with using one stock Teac with my system.

Updates to follow, as changes occur, and as always, I welcome your thoughts and comments on how I might expand on this, or alter the configuration, to betterment of my enjoyment!

Mark in Canada.  :mrgreen:

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2004, 05:28 pm »
Mark,

I highly recommend the inline Bybee from Bolder on the digicable where it plugs into the Mensa.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2004, 06:00 pm »
Thanks for the tip Marbles, I have a pair of them at my place right now, for evaluation, but I am TRYING to wait until the Mensa breaks all the way in, and then I will play with the Bybee toys!

Mark

Lost81

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2004, 12:23 am »
Nice review.

My Mensa is still breaking in, but the bass is blooming, and it is phenomenal :o

-Lost81

Jay S

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2004, 10:46 am »
The inline bybee matches great with the Mensa DI/O.  I started off with an inline Bybee at the end of a Bolder digital cable and liked it so much that I upgraded to a Napalm (which was a Bolder digital + built-in bybee + ERS wrap) in order to eliminate a pair of connectors plus get the ERS tape to reduce the noise floor.  

If you have The Corrs Unplugged, listen to the last track (a cover of REM's Everybody Hurts)... it sounded absolutely awesome in my system when I had the Mensa (and a Cary 303 as a transport).  Wow, Andrea Corr's voice sounded powerful, emotional, nuanced, ernest, vulnerable.  The strings of the 2 acoustic guitars are clean, very dynamic and resonate and bloom beautifully, adding to the emotion of the song.  That song, plus Brown Sugar by the Stones are the ones that most make me miss my Mensa.  While I enjoy my TubeDac (esp now that I am using an old dvd player as a transport), it could not match the Mensa DI/O when it came to power, dynamics and extension.  

Enjoy!

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2004, 01:56 pm »
Thanks for all the kind comments on the smART and MENSA. I am still modding the DI/O. It is still available new. There may be other products available that sound a bit different and cost more, but I STILL think it is a great sounding DAC for the money.

Thanks again,
Wayne