What started as a hobby…

Jeff_K

What started as a hobby…
« on: 31 Jul 2021, 10:54 am »
Hi everyone!

Brand new “audiophile” here! I have a love for all things tube. My bass guitar amps have tubes. My hundreds of antique radios have tubes. And most recently, my integrated amp has tubes.

That last bit is what’s brought me here. I recently purchased and modified the Nobsound 6P1, and I am enjoying it. I picked up some used/vintage B&W DM110’s to go along with the amp and thought it would end there.

WRONG!

I quickly realized I love good sounding music way too much to settle. I learned about the Klipsch RP-600m’s but wasn’t sure if I wanted to start down that path. Then I stopped at a friends house who happens to be a Klipsch hoarder… errrumm, I mean collector. I was immediately sold on the brand and purchased the 600m’s and they arrive tomorrow.

This friend also gave me a vintage Velodyne UL15 sub, complete with rotted foam surround. I tested it and it worked for about 45 seconds until the rest of the foam just blew apart. But that 45 seconds changed my life. From that moment on I knew I was in. I’m not the richest guy in the world so my new audiophile habit will be on a budget for sure.

So - immediate plans. New foam surround kit on order to fix the Velodyne. RP-600’s arriving tomorrow. I think I will enjoy this small setup for a while.

Future plans - Build myself a larger integrated all-tube amp. Perhaps order and build this crossover kit for the 600’s I recently learned about. Figure out a way to get the wife to leave the house for hours at a time so that I can listen to my system at ungodly levels. And finally, based on what I heard the Velodyne do for that short time, nail down anything that is fragile.

Thanks for listening all! I hope to be contributing soon!

Jeff

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: What started as a hobby…
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2021, 05:10 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
Please dont be shy to post pictures from the radios.

Jeff_K

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2021, 07:03 pm »
Here’s some. Each of these work as I’ve restored the electronics myself. The cabinets (with the exception of one or two) are all original, as woodworking isn’t my bag.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2021, 09:14 pm »
Incredible  :thumb: a beautiful set-up..
It left me just one SS portable Philips radio from 1980 that I mod to 220V, at least it a multi band as I love short waves.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2021, 10:55 pm by FullRangeMan »

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2021, 09:16 pm »
Welcome!  Great stuff!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2021, 10:43 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jeff  :thumb:  Nice collection.  8)

Jeff_K

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2021, 11:51 am »
Thanks all! And I can assure you that the radios are right-side up in my home. 😊