Triple stack or quadruple stack —— S T M

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Triple stack or quadruple stack —— S T M
« on: 10 Jul 2018, 11:05 am »
Complete audio system for one of our amazing Kickstarter Backers!

System includes:
- KING Stereo Maraschino Amp
- 60V 1kW Power Supply w/12VDC
- 130dB+ DAC DAC 2 HS
- 6’ Speaker Snakes
- 6” DC_SNAKE
- 1’ XLR Interconnects
- 1’ DC Cable (powers DAC)
- 6’ 16-gauge AC power cord

This system is capable of 120dB end-to-end and 400Wpc into 4Ω speakers.  Ultra-high bandwidth and high wide-band damping factor.  Sonic performance is described as “so amazing, the STM defies logic”.

jonbee

My STM arrived today!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2018, 11:56 pm »
I've been using Maraschino Kings in my big rig powering a pair of Avalon Opus for close to a year, a tough job that the Ms perform admirably. They do everything a great amp should do, imo.
I moved my NCore NC-400 from the big rig to my 10x12' office system after getting the Ms, where I liked the Hypex, but as I listen a lot in here using high-rez LaHave Mela speakers I wanted to get that same easy, clear, 3-d sound.
I participated in Tommy's fundraiser and chose to get a 48V STM. My office is small, so I don't need prodigious power  as with my Avalons. I'm using it with a preamp, with the volume control wide open.
Today I got to hear it and it is just what I expected and hoped for - clear, natural, 3-d and with astounding bass depth, clarity and control.
One of the qualities I love with both these amps is the top end, which is pure, easy, and unforced, but very extended. The lack of hash allows the recorded ambience to come out of the shadows, so the 3-d illusion is very seductive.
The only minor caveat is that this is physically a very small amp, and there is not a lot of room for connectors. I use big Furutech spades on my speaker cables and I need to be careful they don't rotate a bit and short out. (See the picture in the post above) Banana plugs are a better choice for this amp for that reason.  I've run into this issue with many small amps, so this is hardly anything new.
Another winner for Tommy, IMO, and a stunningly affordable high end amp.
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2018, 02:18 am by jonbee »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: My STM arrived today!
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2018, 12:07 am »
I've been using Maraschino Kings in my big rig powering a pair of Avalon Opus for close to a year, a tough job that the Ms perform admirably. They do everything a great amp should do, imo.
I moved my NCore NC-400 from the big rig to my 10x12' office system after getting the Ms, where I liked the Hypex, but as I listen a lot in here using high-rez LaHave Mela speakers I wanted to get that same easy, clear, 3-d sound.
I participated in Tommy's fundraiser and chose to get a 48V STM. My office is small, so I don't need prodigious power as with my Avalons.
Today I got to hear it and it is just what I expected and hoped for - clear, natural, 3-d and with astounding bass depth, clarity and control.
One of the qualities I love with both these amps is the top end, which is pure, easy, and unforced, but very extended. The lack of hash allows the recorded ambience to come out of the shadows, so the 3-d illusion is very seductive.
The only minor caveat is that this is physically a very small amp, and there is not a lot of room for connectors. I use big Furutech spades on my speaker cables and I need to be careful they don't rotate a bit and short out. (See the picture in the post above) Banana plugs are a better choice for this amp for that reason.  I've run into this issue with many small amps, so this is hardly anything new.
Another winner for Tommy, IMO, and a stunningly affordable high end amp.
Glad you’re enjoying the Stereo Maraschino amplifier!  What do you notice about the sonic difference between Cherry and Hypex?  Thanks for your post, and have a great weekend.

jonbee

Re: My STM arrived today!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2018, 01:44 am »
Glad you’re enjoying the Stereo Maraschino amplifier!  What do you notice about the sonic difference between Cherry and Hypex?  Thanks for your post, and have a great weekend.
I think what I mentioned about the lack of hash and grunge between and behind the instruments. I never felt the hypex was hashy and veiled, but when I heard the cherry it was surprising how much fine grained information was veiled which is now audible and spatially separated. The upper end is as clean and hear-through as a mountain stream.
In those regards it reminded me of a really good tube amp. Clear, easy, open, and just naturally 3d and un-hifi.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2018, 07:59 pm by jonbee »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Triple stack or quadruple stack —— S T M
« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2019, 05:47 pm »