Need help in choosing Quattros

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Need help in choosing Quattros
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2012, 02:11 pm »
  George, what did you enjoy more? The 5As or Big Blue's Super Bowl victory?

I enjoy both each and every day.   :thumb:

George

jjc1

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2012, 02:21 pm »
I enjoy both each and every day.   :thumb:

George
As I hope to also once my Quattros arrive.

jjc1

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2012, 11:59 pm »
THEY ARE HERE!  Spent the last 3 hours with John and Nick from Audio Connection setting them up. Now to settle in and listen. I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out how. From the first few songs I've heard, as Bob Collin's used to say (Love That Bob, For all of you who remember) "I think I'm going to like this picture!

jjc1

« Reply #23 on: 30 Apr 2012, 01:34 am »

Here are my new Quattros

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 30 Apr 2012, 08:39 pm »
Very nice setup.

Just curious, were you able to try them out a little further into the room?

George

jjc1

« Reply #25 on: 1 May 2012, 04:37 pm »
Very nice setup.

Just curious, were you able to try them out a little further into the room?

George
  George, there is a piece of furniture on left (not shown in picture) preventing me from moving them further into the room. I plan on eventually getting rid of the piece and then can experiment further with placement.  Have you found that moving further into the room enhances the sound?  My room is only 14 feet front to back.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2012, 03:00 pm »
JJC1 take a close look at the midrange drive.  Does it gave a smooth surface or does it has a woven unsmooth surface?  I am trying to figure if you have the model 5a midrange or not.

jjc1

« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2012, 07:09 pm »
JJC1 take a close look at the midrange drive.  Does it gave a smooth surface or does it has a woven unsmooth surface?  I am trying to figure if you have the model 5a midrange or not.
  Do you mean the middlle driver just below the tweeter? It has a smooth surface but looks woven underneath. The speakers are 9 months old and are supposed to be latest Quattro upgrade.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #28 on: 10 May 2012, 10:47 pm »
yes the woven mid below the tweeter if woven indicates a model 5a mid the latest upgrade.  in the future there may be a balsa wood mid upgrade I have read using the model 7 mid

redsierra

« Reply #29 on: 27 Feb 2013, 01:21 am »
I have the cloth Quatros so I can't comment on the woods, BUT if anyone is reading this and wondering about Quatros in general....they are amazing speakers.  I'm a fan (and always have been) of Vandys.  I started with model 2Cs years ago and then upgraded to 3 Sigs, and finally to the Quatros.  What a difference these speakers make over the old 3 Sigs.  I'm no spring chicken now and a notch below 50 so I can't say I have the golden ear any longer, so I was unsure if I would be able to hear the difference, BUT again...WOW!  I was running the Bryston SP2 processor and the Bryston 9B SST.  I decided to upgrade the 9B SST to the Theta Dreadnaught.....and again....WOW.  This was a day and night difference again.  Right now I'm watching / listening to Heart Live in Seattle on BluRay on my 92 inch screen....and WOW.  I wish my SP2 was capable of HD sound.  But I'm gonna die with my system...no more upgrades for me!  FYI, I also have the VCC5 and a pair of VSM1s along with the V2W sub.  Very, very nice combo!  Oh yes...setting the speakers up professionally was well worth it.

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #30 on: 27 Feb 2013, 11:21 pm »
I have the cloth Quatros... I wish my SP2 was capable of HD sound.  But I'm gonna die with my system...no more upgrades for me!

I too have Quatros being driven by a Theta Dreadnaught, using a Bryston BDP1 as primary source, and the combination sounds fantastic. However the heart of my system is a Bryston SP3. Its the best preamp processor I've ever heard (I've owned an SP1.7, Cary12 and Classe SSP-800, to name a few) and, I'm sorry to tell you, but it's a massive improvement on the SP2.

The insight you get into the music is extraordinary; yes it's expensive but 'never say never'... !

redsierra

« Reply #31 on: 28 Feb 2013, 05:29 pm »
Why or why did you have to tell me that the SP3 is a massive improvement!

Maybe I'll wait until used ones start hitting the market.  I want to keep my other nut!

geowak

« Reply #32 on: 28 Feb 2013, 05:45 pm »

Here are my new Quattros

Nice speakers. ENJOY! I love the Vandersteen sound. Very musical to my ears.