About 3/4 watt: MZ2 into the HO Driver

willsw

• Industry Participant
About 3/4 watt: MZ2 into the HO Driver
« on: 10 May 2017, 07:08 pm »
We've been enjoying the Super 3 HO Monitor in the shop, and a MZ2 is really all we need to get excellent performance. Eventually we'll try 10 watts on them.

Here's a little setup I put together today to enjoy them nearfield while working. (An MHDT Labs Pagoda DAC rounds out the equipment list - fed via USB from my phone.)

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: About 3/4 watt: MZ2 into the HO Driver
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2017, 08:18 pm »
willsw,

What a nice looking clean minimalist little system.  I love compact gear because when it sounds great, it can defy the senses (which a good flea powered amp and the RS5's do on a regular basis).  :thumb:

roscoe65

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2017, 12:25 am »
That's a really handsome pair of speakers, and they look great on the [expensive] Skylan stands.  Is that the real ebony veneer or the EKO finish?  I have a pair of Super 3U's in EKO Ebony EKO and the are of remarkable quality.  Today's high-quality laminates are a far cry from those of years ago.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2017, 01:45 am »
Very nice setup. :thumb:

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2017, 03:44 am »
That's a really handsome pair of speakers, and they look great on the [expensive] Skylan stands. 

Those don't look like Skylan stands unless they are the new four poster Noel was telling me about, but has as yet to put on his website.  With the tanked Canadian dollar Skylan should be very affordable in the U.S.

roscoe65

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2017, 12:39 pm »
Those don't look like Skylan stands unless they are the new four poster Noel was telling me about, but has as yet to put on his website.  With the tanked Canadian dollar Skylan should be very affordable in the U.S.

You may be right - they look like they could be the four-post Pangea stands.

willsw

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2017, 05:54 pm »
That's a really handsome pair of speakers, and they look great on the [expensive] Skylan stands.  Is that the real ebony veneer or the EKO finish?  I have a pair of Super 3U's in EKO Ebony EKO and the are of remarkable quality.  Today's high-quality laminates are a far cry from those of years ago.

You may be right - they look like they could be the four-post Pangea stands.

It is the Level 2 Ebony, and those are the Pangea stands (I "forgot" to put the Pangea sticker on). Eventually we'll probably be getting some nice wooden stands made for the listening space.

doggie

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2017, 02:08 am »
I thought that I would give this thread a boost...

I have a pair of Super Alnico HO floor-standers supplemented by two SVS 12" subs crossed over at about 50hz. I have a Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 2+ preamp and an LTA ZOTL10 amp which uses EL84s to put out about 10 watts.

This is a stunning combination. The Alnco HO's have real slam with the 8 watts. Orchestral pieces have true weight and the soundstage is broad, deep, and has spooky instrument delineation.

This is a winning combination from too great companies.

BTW. If you ever think of getting a sub go the whole way and get two. It really does make a big difference in authority and stereo image.

...Oops. To stay sorta on topic I should say that I have not tried the HO's with just the MicroZOTL yet.

doggie

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2017, 03:03 am »
I thought that I would let folks know that the LTA Z10 now has an option for a linear power supply upgrade that brings it up to another level.

I live near LTA and have been previewing/evaluating their new supply for several months. It makes an already great amp a lot more dynamic and contributes to a bigger soundstage. It handles large orchestral and choral pieces handily allowing much better localization.

I returned the prototype today and also received back my Z10 for which I had purchased the upgrade.

FYI. I am using CEI 7062(12AT7), Telefunken 12AU7) and Amperex Miniwatt  EL84 tubes. In my MZ2+ I am using IBM 7062(12AT7) and Bendix 2C50 (12 volt 6SN7 variant) tubes.

busterfree

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2017, 12:03 am »
Any idea on when LTA will update their webpage with this new offering? Planned for ZOTL40 as well?

doggie

« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2017, 02:26 am »
Any idea on when LTA will update their webpage with this new offering? Planned for ZOTL40 as well?

I know that they are shipping with the new LPS now so you could probably give them a call.

Hopefully Will from LTA will check in here.

doggie

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2017, 12:33 pm »
I finally got around to trying to power my Alnico HO's with my MZ2. Normally they are driven by my Z10.

The short version is that it works fine but I would not suggest it for filling a normal room. I could see it for near-field listening, acoustic guitar, or small jazz ensembles but to get the most from these great speakers the Z10 works much better.

The MZ2 however makes for a superb preamp, especially with NOS tubes and the LPS. It also runs very cool so that it is cabinet friendly and therefore has a high SOAF (Significant Other Acceptance Factor)

MarkR7

« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2017, 02:03 pm »
I would agree with Doggie here..... for context, with my Alnico HOs and my 8wpc Coincident Frankenstein mono blocks (playing at about 80-84db, in a fairly large room), I measured usage at about 1.5 wpc, but that was with a 1kHz sine wave, and not real music. Obviously real music will be more demanding of power from the amps, especially in the lower frequencies..

I finally got around to trying to power my Alnico HO's with my MZ2. Normally they are driven by my Z10.

The short version is that it works fine but I would not suggest it for filling a normal room. I could see it for near-field listening, acoustic guitar, or small jazz ensembles but to get the most from these great speakers the Z10 works much better.

StevenZ

« Reply #13 on: 5 Sep 2018, 03:52 pm »
Old thread but I figured I'd ask if you guys have tube rolled the MZ2 yet.  Mine came with NOS Honeywell 12SN7 and a pair of GE 12AT7.  I swapped out the GE with my Amperex Bugle Boy 12AT7 (Made in France) and was immediately struck with a more neutral flavor.  Things seemed to get a lot less hazy and vocals went from slightly chesty to "just right" with a nice but clean body to them.  I doubt I'll swap out the 12SN7 as I paid extra for them, but would like to see if anyone else has tube rolled their MZ2 yet.

BTW, this thing absolutely rocks.  Completely transformed my stereo.