Another Salk Delivery – Birth Announcement

jboiler76

Another Salk Delivery – Birth Announcement
« on: 11 Aug 2011, 06:47 pm »
Last week, my wife and I drove from St Louis to Salk Sound to be formally introduced to and adopt the newest members of our family.
-Twins:      SongTowers RT
-Plus One:  SongCenter RT
Veneer:  Straight Mahogany/Satin Finish

All I can say is WOW!  What an enjoyable experience!  Jim Salk was a great host – he gave us a tour of the shop where we observed production at various stages.  We were introduced to the entire Salk team – and they patiently answered our many questions.  My wife and I really enjoyed being able to spend time with both Jim and his wife Mary – discussing all things audio but also just day to day life experiences.

After the production tour, Jim showed us our STs in the front part of the shop.  (Now this is a really large room – I’m just guessing at 50’ by 30’ with 12-15’ ceilings – all concrete wall, floors and ceiling.)  My wife had not seen nor heard the STs before while I had a chance to listen to STs with the Lcy ribbon at a Wisconsin Audio Club GTG back in April. 

The finish is just gorgeous – we had requested that the straight mahogany be a deep rich reddish brown – we wanted to the speakers to blend into our décor - Jim and his team just nailed the finish!  It is clear that the craftspeople at Salk take a great deal of pride in their work and the Salk product.

Jim then offered to queue up some tunes and the moment of truth had arrived.  I don’t recall what track he played – it really did not matter – because the expression on my wife’s face said it all!  She had this really happy – pleasantly surprised look – you know the look, the one that tells you that you did good! 

Needless to say - they sounded wonderful in Jim’s shop and now that we are getting them settled in here at home – they sound really sweet!  I have not done much setup work – I have just level matched.  I am playing digital source (Flac) thru a Squeezebox Touch, digital coax to a PS Audio DLIII thru a Yamaha Rx-v2400 along with Rythmik D15SE sub, EQ’d with REW and Behringer DSP 1124P.  I have not re-integrated the sub and have not made any adjustments to the Yamaha.   I am alternating between running 2.0 with all processing off using Yamaha Direct Stereo mode (this defeats Yamaha’s YPAO room correction) and running 2.1 using the 2 Channel Stereo mode (which enables YPAO – run when using my retired Boston VR2 mains).   Things sound so good that I am just going to enjoy for a few days or weeks!  I am half afraid I will muck things up if I go tweaking!

We had a chance to show off the STs to some friends yesterday – we played “Dream On” by Kelly Sweet, “Keith Don’t Go” by Nils Lofgren and “Safari” by Keiko Matsui.  Afterward, they commented:  “This sound better than the Sheldon!”  This is quite a complement because The Sheldon Concert Hall has been St Louis’ premier musical venue since 1912 and is known as St Louis’s Carnegie Hall!

I am just so pleased!  The width and depth of the soundstage and the imaging are great but for me there is just something engaging in the smoothness of the upper mid-range and highs.  All of the instruments and vocals just sound “right” and more importantly – nothing sounds wrong!  There is a level of refinement that is magical and on some songs it almost brings tears.  Alright, you get the idea – I am really happy.

Jay

Monkish54

Re: Another Salk Delivery – Birth Announcement
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2011, 01:31 am »
That was a really cool story! Thanks for sharing! Jim is a really cool guy.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:00 am »
I made the same drive in May last year to audition the SoundScapes but my wife stayed home!!

Jay, you're welcome to stop by and listen to them.  I'm in Glendale.

jboiler76

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:18 am »
catastrofe

I am glad my wife was able to and wanted to go.  We had a good time!

Wow - you are close - I will take you up on your kind offer one of these days.  My wife just gave me one of those other kind of looks when I told her about the SoundScapes.

Jay

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2011, 04:17 am »
Jay,

Congratulations buddy!  I am so happy that things worked out for you and am honored to have you join the Salk family.  Thank you for your write-up; you've got fine taste! :)

P.S. PICS!

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2011, 01:42 pm »
Great post. :)

Congrats and enjoy!

jboiler76

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2011, 11:42 pm »
Saturn & Nuance:

Thanks!

I am attaching a couple of pixs of my new SongTowers and the SongCenter inside my Standout Designs cabinet.  These Song Towers are veneered in Straight Mahogany - Satin Finish.

I have really struggled with these pictures - can't seem to capture the color accurately.  In the pixs the STs look about the same color as the cabinet (Standout calls it cinnamon).  Jim shot some darker brown in the top coat - so the STs really have a much darker richer reddish brown color than in these pixs.   They look a lot better than my photography skills can capture.

« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2011, 04:10 am by jboiler76 »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2011, 07:18 pm »
They look a pretty good match to the furniture.  A nice road trip for sure!

Meicheng

« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2011, 08:23 pm »
that is a very clean, nice looking set-up.

kip_

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2011, 12:04 am »
Is this a custom SongCenter? The woofers like like they're only 4 or 4.5".

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:21 am »
Is this a custom SongCenter? The woofers like like they're only 4 or 4.5".

That must just be dark lighting that doesn't show the full size of the woofers.   There is no smaller version of the center channel, unless Jim snuck one by me.  And I kind of doubt that. 

jboiler76

« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:03 am »
Like Dennis noted -this a standard front-ported SongCenter.

Jay

Legends

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2011, 09:51 pm »
Hello,

This is my first post on these forums as I was just recently introduced to Salk.  In my current system I have Dynaudio C1s.  How does the Salk sound compare?  jboiler76 and catastrofe  I too live in St. Louis.  Any chance I can listen to your speakers?

Thanks

Legends

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #13 on: 15 Sep 2011, 12:08 am »
Hello,

This is my first post on these forums as I was just recently introduced to Salk.  In my current system I have Dynaudio C1s.  How does the Salk sound compare?  jboiler76 and catastrofe  I too live in St. Louis.  Any chance I can listen to your speakers?

Thanks

Legends

Absolutely!!

(W)KRP

« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2011, 06:06 am »
They look a lot better than my photography skills can capture.
Blame it on the equipment. That always works with me and the ladies.  :oops:

won ton on

« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm »
i looked at the dynaudio c-1's and many other speakers. decided to go with the salk ht2-tl's and i'm glad i did.i've only had them for a week now but they sounded great right out of the box. plus they were 2600.00 bucks less not including tax.had martin logan aerius before that and they were good speakers in they're day but can't compare to the salk's

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 15 Sep 2011, 12:43 pm »
Absolutely!!

I smell another sale being rung up!!