Hoyt-Benford Type 1 break-in

mnilan

Hoyt-Benford Type 1 break-in
« on: 8 Oct 2014, 05:11 pm »
Folks:
What kind of break-in period should I expect with new Type 1 speakers?
Thanks,
Mike

milford3

Re: Hoyt-Benford Type 1 break-in
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2014, 05:23 am »
Break in time for my Type 1's was about 200 hours.  If you push them it could be a little less.  I listen at low to moderate levels at near field.  What level finish did you decide on? 

mnilan

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2014, 03:04 pm »
milford3:
This is my first set of full range speakers, so I decided to stay with a fairly basic finish, EKO Zebrawood.  I plan on trying a pair or two of the Omega speakers as well in order to learn about these speakers.  Depending on WAF, where in our house the speakers are going to end up, and how well I like them, I may sell these and upgrade the finish, but too soon to tell now.  For now (or actually, beginning in December), these will go in my living room for us to listen to and I will be testing a few integrated receivers with the Hoyt-Bedfords to get a feel for the speakers and to discover the synergy between the speakers and the amps.  I'm looking forward to that but 200 hours of break-in will delay that process.  Oh well, no help for it.  Thanks for your response.
Mike

Good Times

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2014, 11:50 pm »
Of all the speakers I've owned, the Hoyt-Bedfords were the quickest to run in which is nice. I found that a good 50hr and they were pretty much there. I'd have about 2,000hrs on mine now and they have been steady ever since. Enjoy!

mnilan

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2014, 12:31 pm »
Good Times:
I hope my run in time is as short as yours, that would be great. 
Thanks,
Mike

mnilan

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2014, 06:49 pm »
Folks:
I am finally setting up my Hoyt-Benfors Type 1 speakers and I have a couple of (perhaps obvious) questions about the break in, if you would be so kind as to advise me.

Ultimately I am going to be driving the speakers with an Antique Sound Labs 300B SET that is rated at 9 wpc.  One question is:  Would driving the speakers with a more powerful amp reduce the break-in period?  I've got a couple of alternatives, both solid state.  One is 85 wpc into 8 ohms and the other is 100 wpc into 8 ohms.  A related second question is whether the additional power would enhance the quality of the break-in. 

The second question is:  What role does the volume play in break-in?  Can I run them at low volume overnight or should I maintain listening levels? 

What I'm trying to do is run the speakers at low volume streaming random content to try to speed up the break-in period.
Thanks,
Mike

milford3

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2014, 07:41 pm »
Folks:
I am finally setting up my Hoyt-Benfors Type 1 speakers and I have a couple of (perhaps obvious) questions about the break in, if you would be so kind as to advise me.

Ultimately I am going to be driving the speakers with an Antique Sound Labs 300B SET that is rated at 9 wpc.  One question is:  Would driving the speakers with a more powerful amp reduce the break-in period?  I've got a couple of alternatives, both solid state.  One is 85 wpc into 8 ohms and the other is 100 wpc into 8 ohms.  A related second question is whether the additional power would enhance the quality of the break-in. 

The second question is:  What role does the volume play in break-in?  Can I run them at low volume overnight or should I maintain listening levels? 

What I'm trying to do is run the speakers at low volume streaming random content to try to speed up the break-in period.
Thanks,
Mike

CanadaRob, feel free to opine on these questions.

mnilan

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2014, 10:35 pm »
Here they are...

Mike

Good Times

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2014, 11:59 am »
More volume will speed up the mechanical run-in of the speakers for sure. I also like to use something like the IsoTek system enhancement CD. It ensures all frequencies are accounted for in the run-in. I mix this up with music to cover all bases.

For the fastest run-in, you place your speakers facing each other with no more than an inch between the drivers. Wire them out of phase then play. Whack up the volume and if you need, throw a bedspread over them!

But seriously they're one of the least burden-some speakers for running in.

mnilan

« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2014, 07:36 pm »
Good Times:
Thanks for the input.  Makes sense.
Mike

beowulf

« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2014, 12:34 am »
Nice speakers and beautiful room to boot!  Just a suggestion, but if you could turn the coffee table a quater turn clockwise and then put the couch behind the coffee table facing the speakers and the chair off to the right or left side of the room facing the speakers ~ you would really open the sound stage up in your room.

FireGuy

« Reply #11 on: 10 Dec 2014, 01:07 am »
Congrats Mike,  your Type 1's are looking real nice.  I have heard this model HB and was truly impressed.  Please give us an update after your break in period is near complete.  I believe once you get settled in to the single-driver presentation you will not look back.   SET amps work wonderfully with these speakers too.

mnilan

« Reply #12 on: 10 Dec 2014, 06:10 pm »
Nice speakers and beautiful room to boot!  Just a suggestion, but if you could turn the coffee table a quater turn clockwise and then put the couch behind the coffee table facing the speakers and the chair off to the right or left side of the room facing the speakers ~ you would really open the sound stage up in your room.

beowulf:
Thanks.  Actually, I took the picture from behind another couch that is facing the fireplace and soundstage.  8^)
Mike

mnilan

« Reply #13 on: 10 Dec 2014, 06:13 pm »
Congrats Mike,  your Type 1's are looking real nice.  I have heard this model HB and was truly impressed.  Please give us an update after your break in period is near complete.  I believe once you get settled in to the single-driver presentation you will not look back.   SET amps work wonderfully with these speakers too.

FireGuy:
Actually, the speakers are quite impressive already.  Great soundstage and the combination of them with the 300B is quite delightful.  I'll see what differences I can discern after a month or so...  Thanks for the reply.
Mike