Soundfield Audio Monitor 1... Here We Go!

andy19191

Re: Soundfield Audio Monitor 1... Here We Go!
« Reply #260 on: 9 Sep 2012, 09:36 am »
That one was easy. KEF made it for me, by supplying a midbass driver.
Well that clears that one up: a false assumption on my part. I had assumed you had opted for the Q series midwoofer/tweeter over the R series mid/tweeter for reasons I could not see. Perhaps I have made another false assumption in assuming the R series mid/tweeter is available because the installer had them around to show me. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Saturn94

« Reply #261 on: 10 Sep 2012, 01:58 am »
When do they arrive?

They arrived yesterday safe and sound. :thumb:

I did discover something about them that's worth noting if a buyer is going to use the grills and run the M1s full range.  The magnets on the grills aren't very strong, so if you play bass heavy material at a decent level the grills may fall off!  Mine ended up in the floor more than once. :o

I contacted a fellow AC member that builds speakers/grills and has experience with these grills.  He said adding a set of strong magnets such as these should do the trick:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D61-N52
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D62-N52

They will cause the grill to stand away from the baffle a little, but I don't think it will be enough to adversely affect performance or cosmetics.

I'll post my results once I get the magnets and check it out.

Speaking of cosmetics, for those who are auditioning the demo pair, the new ones look MUCH better than those poor old demos (I'm sure they've been through a lot). :wink:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #262 on: 10 Sep 2012, 02:57 am »
What is the efficiency of the combined top two drivers?  Thanks.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #263 on: 10 Sep 2012, 03:17 am »
What is the efficiency of the combined top two drivers?  Thanks.

there on specs on the website:
http://soundfieldaudio.net/Products.html

doug s.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #264 on: 10 Sep 2012, 08:43 pm »
Thanks Doug...and Saturn, sorry about that, I'll try the magnet grill mod myself

Saturn94

« Reply #265 on: 11 Sep 2012, 01:56 am »
Thanks Doug...and Saturn, sorry about that, I'll try the magnet grill mod myself

No problem AJ.  I know most probably won't even use the grills.  Even in my case, with the sub handling frequencies below about 80hz, the grills stay put.  It's only when running full range that the grills lose their grip.  Think of it as a testament to how much output those woofers are capable of. :thumb:

I ordered these magnets today;

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D61G-N52

I'll post the results when I get them.

Ideally, it would be best if the existing magnets in the grills could be removed and replaced with stronger ones.  If you figure out a way to do that without damaging the grills, let me know.

Saturn94

« Reply #266 on: 13 Sep 2012, 10:43 pm »
No problem AJ.  I know most probably won't even use the grills.  Even in my case, with the sub handling frequencies below about 80hz, the grills stay put.  It's only when running full range that the grills lose their grip.  Think of it as a testament to how much output those woofers are capable of. :thumb:

I ordered these magnets today;

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D61G-N52

I'll post the results when I get them.

Ideally, it would be best if the existing magnets in the grills could be removed and replaced with stronger ones.  If you figure out a way to do that without damaging the grills, let me know.

UPDATE:

The neo magnets arrived today and I'm happy to report they work great (thanks Ron!).  The grills didn't budge no matter what I played.  Those neo magnets may be small (3/8" wide, 1/16" thick), but they sure are strong!  They came attached to each other and boy those suckers were hard to pull apart!

Since the neo magnets hold more firmly to the grill magnets than the baffle bolts, the neo magnets stay attached to the grill when you remove it.

In terms of cosmetics, even with the grills standing slightly off the baffle, it looks like they were made that way; looks great IMO.  The neo magnets are only visible if you look at the speaker directly from the side.  Even then, with the gold plated neo magnets I chose (I thought gold would match the tone of the cherry finish better than silver) it still looks great from the side.

Personally, I'm very happy with this inexpensive and easy fix and would recommend it to anyone who likes to use the grills like I do (I know I'm in the minority around here :wink: ).

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #267 on: 14 Sep 2012, 12:23 am »
Boy, with your recent shopping deals of the neo magnets and the Shepherd cone gliders, you're hitting bullseyes. Good for you.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Saturn94

« Reply #268 on: 14 Sep 2012, 01:42 am »
Boy, with your recent shopping deals of the neo magnets and the Shepherd cone gliders, you're hitting bullseyes. Good for you.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

If only that were the case with every purchase I've made. :lol:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #269 on: 14 Sep 2012, 02:33 am »
...and the Shepherd cone gliders...

:scratch:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #271 on: 14 Sep 2012, 12:52 pm »
Thanks Robin.  Those might work for a variety of speakers, good find Saturn94.  For those who might want to use the threaded inserts on their speakers, or speaker stands since we're on the Soundfield M1 thread, by any chance did you notice the thread size on the sliders? 

Looking through that thread I clicked on the Herbie's link and among the many useful items there was sliders with decoupling pads under cups for spikes.  Hmmm, I might just unscrew my spikes and attach some sliders, but that's just me...

Saturn94

« Reply #272 on: 14 Sep 2012, 05:02 pm »
Thanks Robin.  Those might work for a variety of speakers, good find Saturn94.  For those who might want to use the threaded inserts on their speakers, or speaker stands since we're on the Soundfield M1 thread, by any chance did you notice the thread size on the sliders? 

Looking through that thread I clicked on the Herbie's link and among the many useful items there was sliders with decoupling pads under cups for spikes.  Hmmm, I might just unscrew my spikes and attach some sliders, but that's just me...

Since the sliders I purchased use separate screws (the slider just has a hole in it), you could probably use different size screws as long as they fit through the hole in the slider.  I didn't want to remove the feet that came with my HT2-TLs so I was looking for something that didn't have any threads attached.

Speaking of the M1s and stands, the stands I purchased, VTI DF24B, came with spikes but they aren't quite long enough to penetrate the carpet and pad down to the concrete.  How do I tell what size threads I need if I want to replace them with longer spikes?

skite30

« Reply #273 on: 27 Oct 2012, 02:46 pm »
I bought a pair about six months ago. Dealing with AJ was a real pleasure, he was helpful, knowledgeable and patient with me.His after sale care has been exemplary.
I couldn't be happier with these, all the accolades are well deserved. I am using a triode electronics trv-a300-se amplifier it puts out 8watts.
this is a great combo. I listen near field about 8 feet in a room 20x40x12 and although I don't listen at real loud levels adequate volume has never been an issue. I never get past 11 o'clock using a cd player for input.
i can't imagine a more musical, satisfying combo at near this price point. I would definitely buy these again.

Saturn94

« Reply #274 on: 28 Oct 2012, 04:52 pm »
...... Dealing with AJ was a real pleasure, he was helpful, knowledgeable and patient with me.His after sale care has been exemplary.......

+1

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #275 on: 29 Oct 2012, 01:18 pm »
Thanks guys.

I am using a triode electronics trv-a300-se amplifier it puts out 8watts.
this is a great combo.
That is a very nice looking little amp. I've often been asked what SET matches well and apparently these do. Where can they be found/bought stateside?

cheers,

AJ

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #276 on: 29 Oct 2012, 01:32 pm »
Thanks guys.
That is a very nice looking little amp. I've often been asked what SET matches well and apparently these do. Where can they be found/bought stateside?

cheers,

AJ

http://twinaudiovideo.com/home/?p=79

:thumb:

TomS

« Reply #277 on: 29 Oct 2012, 01:37 pm »
Thanks guys.

cheers,

AJ
These guys have shown at RMAF with Acoustic Zen. Always great sounding setups.

DS-21

« Reply #278 on: 29 Oct 2012, 02:30 pm »
FWIW, I had the SAM1's for about a week as part of the tour, and posted my impressions as part of an essay here.

No overpriced glorified light bulbs were harmed or otherwise engaged during my audition. :)
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2012, 06:04 pm by DS-21 »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #279 on: 29 Oct 2012, 05:44 pm »
Thanks guys.

cheers,

AJ
i am not sure i would be looking for $3k amps for your sam-1's, aj...

ymmv,

doug s.