Anyone in for a sonosub build?

rahimlee54

Anyone in for a sonosub build?
« on: 3 Apr 2009, 08:49 pm »
I am looking to build a sonosub in the next couple of months just to try a little DIY action in my theater.  A friend and I with not much experience are going to do it together.  If anyone else wants to jump in on this feel free to send me a PM.  I havent planned the design out but I will this Sunday maybe. 

It sounds like a good time making one and can probably be finished in a weekend.

Thanks
Jared

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Re: Anyone in for a sonosub build?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2009, 08:57 pm »
What driver are you using?

rahimlee54

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2009, 09:00 pm »
I haven't made any plans yet as to anything, other than I am going to do it, I need to spend some time with WinISD and see which one gives me what I am looking for, 100 db + around 15 Hz, nothing to fancy, as my room is 12x11.3x8.  I'll throw up details on Sunday evening, for your consideration :).

I am open for 15 inch driver suggestions though, I am sure there are many that will fit my needs, 100% HT.

Thanks
Jared
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2009, 10:20 pm by rahimlee54 »

Nick77

« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2009, 09:01 pm »
Built mine a few yrs back and have to say it was definately the most potent alignment I have tried.
I can definately reccomend the Sound Splinter RLP-15 but I dont know if that is the best value or not.

« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2009, 11:31 am by Nick77 »

rahimlee54

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2009, 03:10 pm »
I think I  have everything pretty much planned out currently.  I have changed my mind and just went with an 18" driver from Exodus audio, Maelstrom X, that combined with a EP2500 gets a ton of good user reviews over at AVS, so I may as well give it a try as well.  Now I need to find a 24 inch sonotube supplier.  Finished the whole thing will come right at 6 ft and will be tuned to 17.3 Hz, in room gain should give me a few extra HZ on the bottom end. 

Jared

Nick77

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2009, 05:35 pm »
I think I  have everything pretty much planned out currently.  I have changed my mind and just went with an 18" driver from Exodus audio, Maelstrom X, that combined with a EP2500 gets a ton of good user reviews over at AVS, so I may as well give it a try as well.  Now I need to find a 24 inch sonotube supplier.  Finished the whole thing will come right at 6 ft and will be tuned to 17.3 Hz, in room gain should give me a few extra HZ on the bottom end. 

Jared

I dont think you could make a better choice, thats one potent combo. Better secure the drywall. Hehe

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2009, 06:22 am »
I hear very good things about that driver :)

Any pics? Did this ever come to fruition?

rahimlee54

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2009, 08:54 pm »
It hasn't occurred just yet but it was set for sometime in May, however I now have to get a Catalytic Converter for my car to pass inspection so this project is going to be put on hold for a little bit.  Man those things are expensive, if they guy cant get it to pass next week.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2009, 02:34 pm »
This is what you should use http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.Asp?WoodType=PAPER&CATID=10&Section=FIBERCYL&wDesc=Full%20Fiberboard%20Cylinders

Stiffer than Sonotube and unwaxed on the inside for better adhesion. Let me know and I can get you a good price on drivers.