M5 Sapphire and Orchestral Music

Lance

« on: 21 Feb 2020, 12:38 pm »
This question is to Clayton Shaw, as I am aware the M5 Sapphire is new and perhaps no one has enjoyed the pleasure to review it, yet.

After a review of the X2's in the Absolute Sound (by Steven Stone issue 302) I became interested in what else Spatial had to offer.

The M5's fit my budget, but will they satisfy my taste in sound.  I sent you (Clayton) an email in the past two days covering this question in depth,
but will simply ask here, how does the M5's deal with Orchestral music. Again, I hope you track down the email I sent - email was posted on your
website and includes my gear and photo of the listening space.  Thank you.

Kind regards,
Lance

jazzman463

Re: M5 Sapphire and Orchestral Music
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2020, 08:07 pm »
Hi Lance, I own the m5's and have put about 200 hours on them. I use a Manley IPod Stingray to power. I am in a 13 x 12 room . I just posted on one of the posts I have just started listening to symphonic music this week. I have been only listening to jazz and vocal for break in. Rock and Symphonic did not cut it in the early break in stages. I listened to Hoist  - The Planets and some Gershwin last night . The speakers ,at least with this amp, are an excellent choice for your tastes. The dynamics and resolution are spot on. I heard all the chairs for each instrument. All the attacks right there. You will not be disappointed but they do need time to break in. They become much more subtle as time goes on. I am 63 years old, former trombone player, and been playing with speakers /amps/turntables...since 1973. The M5's are keepers.

sockpit

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2020, 09:55 pm »
I’m 57 and a percussionist, which explains why my hearing drops precipitously above 7 khz  :wink:

I am in trial periods of both the M5s and the LTA Z10 integrated.  My room too is small. 11 by 13.

I too was keen to see how speakers did with rich and demanding classical music.  I went to bed, again very late, after listening to decent recordings of Beethoven 1 and 6.  My thought was: wow, I nailed it with this combo, even on classical music.  No regrets thus far.  I plan to hook up my old system this weekend and confirm that what I’m hearing ain’t confirmation bias, etc. My old system wasn’t that old and sounded pretty darn good.  But I think this is endgame for me for a long time.  Have a week or so left to confirm this is the way to go.

Worst case scenario is you try em and pay freight to ship em back. 

Call Clayton.  He generous as can be with serious customers on the phone.

Lance

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2020, 10:02 pm »
Hey, guys! really appreciate the detailed response. This will surely help in my decision making process. I may contact Clayton, soon and discuss. 

Shakeydeal

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2020, 11:03 pm »
I agree with what's been said about Clayton. I have never dealt with anyone in this hobby who is more genuine or customer oriented than him. He makes fantastic products at reasonable prices that just sell themselves once heard.

Shakey

Whitestix

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2020, 10:53 pm »
I have Clayton's M4 Triode Masters and they delight me each and every day.  My sense is that if you fall in love with OB speakers, there is no going back to conventional box speakers.  I am eager to hear the Sapphire line as they are the only speakers to which I would consider upgrading.

Finally, along with my tube guru, Don Sachs, there is no finer fellow to deal with than Clayton... he is a totally hands-on guy and super friendly.   

timing3435

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2020, 04:57 pm »
They need to duplicate Clayton. As his company grows he is going to be stretched thin....

cfisher835

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2020, 05:10 pm »
It was great to meet Clayton at the Florida show and he was extremely generous with his time. He mentioned that the company's success had meant shifting responsibilities for everyone but it seemed like he was completely on top of it.

Lance

« Reply #8 on: 29 Feb 2020, 10:01 am »
Well, perhaps I will meet some of these guys in Chicago...anyone going to AXPONA in April?

sockpit

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2020, 02:00 am »
I can reiterate: yes, the M5s with a good amp do justice to classical orchestras, assuming the recording is decent.

They may obliterate 30% of your colllection of crappy pop and rock recordings from the 70s and 80s, though.  I understand this is the price of a great system.  I can’t believe sometimes how poorly things get recorded, now as well as then.

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2020, 02:49 am »
Well, perhaps I will meet some of these guys in Chicago...anyone going to AXPONA in April?

Well, as it happens, no, nobody is.

Lance

« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2020, 05:37 pm »
..yeah, it sucks....I will likely not go to the show in August and wait until next year.

Lance

« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2020, 05:43 pm »
Sockpit, I though you never had the chance to seriously review the M5 Sapphire's as they were not broken in yet, and you were out of town. I saw the post on Tuesday 10th.

If I missed another post, can you elaborate...thanks!

Lance

« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2020, 05:51 pm »
Seems I am getting confused with some of the Posts on this subject subject, but either in a different room or website by the same authors.

In any case, really appreciate all these great details regarding this speaker system. I have a lot to digest.  Thank you, guys!!

Kind regards,
Lance

sockpit

« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2020, 09:28 pm »
You saw correctly at audiophile style—and here.

I don’t feel as though I’ve spent the time with them I need to to give a detailed review over there anyone might want to base a decision on in any way.  But I can say with confidence here that my experience with symphonies and the M5/LTA combo is terrific.  As good as I’ve heard in my 11 by 14 office space!

Lance

« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2020, 10:28 am »
Thank you, Sockpit.

jazzman463

« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2020, 05:26 pm »
Hi Lance,
Yes well recorded symphonic music is  a joy to listen to. At around 300 hours on my M 5's , in my 13 x12 room with a Manley Stingray iPod, they just keep getting more dynamic and listenable. I was listening to Stravinsky-The Rite of Spring ,loud and I was  nothing but smiles. They really are laugh out loud good. Bass clarinets are particularly stunning.