My New X-5's

pianopig

My New X-5's
« on: 23 Jan 2020, 11:54 pm »
I received these speakers about a month ago.Since then, I have put 88 hours on them. I have owned many speakers[probably in the neighborhood of 75 or so]Those include PHY both open baffle and Musical Affairs, Feastrex 5 inch field coil again open baffle and in a custom cabinet built to Feastrex specs, Coral Beta 8's and Altec 604's in different cabinets..These x-5's in my opinion and in my smaller size room have bettered all of them..I can't believe how good they sound. Very open soundstage [easy to feel in the room with the performers. The AMT delivers excellent highs with no fatigue..Bass is well controlled and deep. To me, there are no limitations in their presentation.I dont usually write reviews [have only done one in the past], but I felt like Clayton deserves these comments, both for the speaker itself and his fine service..

Wind Chaser

Re: My New X-5's
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2020, 01:09 am »
Congratulations on the fine purchase.  :thumb:

And welcome to Audio Circle!  :D

Shakeydeal

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2020, 11:56 am »
Congrats on the X5s. These are very good speakers, there's no doubt about that.

Enjoy!

Shakey

Tarheel

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2020, 07:46 pm »
Congratulations on your new Spatials.

Would you mind sharing your room size? Clayton also suggested X5s for me due to a smallish room size....14'5"X13'3" with sloped ceiling 16' at the highest point.

pianopig

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2020, 05:37 pm »
my room size is 12 x12 ceiling is 8 feet.. i sit about 8 or so feet from the speakers..one side is closed in and the other opens to a dining area. they do nicely here!

bfstrysik

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2020, 06:44 pm »
Welcome. Thanks for the nice review. I have never had my ears on a pair of Spatial speakers, but would love to hear them sometime.

drhoon

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2020, 07:50 pm »
Could you post a side picture of your speakers? Would like to compare to my x3. Thanks

bbybaudio

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2020, 08:58 pm »
Great to hear about your X5s! I though I was the only one who had purchased them. As per my posts on Audiocircle, I love these speakers. Far and away the best I have had in my listening room. Have fun and enjoy. As Shakeydeal mentioned with the X3s, my X5s are now around 288 hrs and still getting better.

pianopig

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2020, 10:52 pm »

Could you post a side picture of your speakers? Would like to compare to my x3. Thanks

here are a couple of pics. i am still learning how to navigate this site..take care, Dan

geerock

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2020, 04:54 pm »
I'm looking forward to receiving my X5's.  Going to drive them with tube pre and tube amp.  Glad to hear people are very impressed by them.

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2020, 05:05 pm »
Welcome. Thanks for the nice review. I have never had my ears on a pair of Spatial speakers, but would love to hear them sometime.

I heard Spatials (forget which model; it was the 2018 show IIRC) at Capital Audiofest and was very impressed. One of those speakers you can tell is good before you even get all the way into the room.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2020, 05:16 pm »
How is the bass from these (don't regurgitate the specs)? Can you rattle your china....

Shakeydeal

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2020, 05:45 pm »
Can't speak to the X5, but the X3 has excellent bass depth and pitch in my somewhat large room. It's definitely a different bass than from an enclosure and loads the room differently, but once you get used to it, it would be hard to go back to a box.

Shakey

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2020, 07:50 pm »
I agree with Shakey, the bass is as he describes, I think the bass from my X3s is incredibly good.

Dan it looks like we share musical tastes.  I had the Jerry Mulligan and the Bill Evans Interplay in your picture on vinyl too.  I recorded all my best vinyl and have sold over half.  In my system now, digital sounds better to me.  Could be old age and failing ears! 

Congrats pianopig on the X5s.  Also nice looking system!  Is that a home made rack or?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jan 2020, 01:27 am »
Do you think a 16x20 room is too large for them?

pianopig

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jan 2020, 01:58 am »
The bass is tight and tuneful, meaning it doesnt just thump one note or boom. To be honest, I have not listened to the type of music that might make them rattle the windows. I love jazz and the bass on these really portrays acoustic bass very well.

pianopig

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jan 2020, 02:00 am »
Do you think a 16x20 room is too large for them?
Not sure about that size of room. I think they would be fine, but the x-3's would probably do it well also [I have not heard them]

pianopig

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jan 2020, 02:02 am »
I agree with Shakey, the bass is as he describes, I think the bass from my X3s is incredibly good.

Dan it looks like we share musical tastes.  I had the Jerry Mulligan and the Bill Evans Interplay in your picture on vinyl too.  I recorded all my best vinyl and have sold over half.  In my system now, digital sounds better to me.  Could be old age and failing ears! 

Congrats pianopig on the X5s.  Also nice looking system!  Is that a home made rack or?

[/quoteThe rack is home made from Redwood.  Any jazz left for sale on vinyl? BTW, Brownie is about my absolute favorite.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jan 2020, 12:41 am »
The bass is tight and tuneful, meaning it doesnt just thump one note or boom. To be honest, I have not listened to the type of music that might make them rattle the windows. I love jazz and the bass on these really portrays acoustic bass very well.

Nice.

Really like your diffusers. Brand?

beowulf

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jan 2020, 01:50 am »
Nice.

Really like your diffusers. Brand?

+1