Favorite drummers?

JoshK

Re: Favorite drummers?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Aug 2009, 02:21 am »
One of my favorite live drummer experiences, or should I say most memorable is when NIN toured with David Bowie, Bowie opened and then NIN came out but the drummers overlapped, having numerous songs when both drummers played simulataneously.  It was pretty damn cool.  Reznor and Bowie did I'm Afraid of Americans together.

During the show, Reznor was pissed that a keyboard wasn't working and smashed it on stage.  He flung the carcas and hit fellow bandmate Vrenna in the head and made him bleed. 

Vrenna is a great and enthusiastic drummer as well and deserves honorable mention.

Syrah

« Reply #21 on: 7 Aug 2009, 02:23 am »
I'm glad someone added Neil Peart.

mfsoa

« Reply #22 on: 7 Aug 2009, 02:25 am »
Billy Cobham, Tony Williams, Jack D., Trolok Gurtu, Dennis Chambers, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Bill Stewart, Bill Bruford

-Mike

rockadanny

« Reply #23 on: 7 Aug 2009, 02:28 am »
mfsoa - ditto!

mfsoa

« Reply #24 on: 7 Aug 2009, 02:40 am »
I'd like to give Tony Williams a little more due if I may. Not only was the body his drumwork a major force in the history of the instrument, his contributioin to the move from tradition acoustic jazz to a more electric thing with Miles in the late 60s is often overlooked.

When he was on he crafted the disparate sounds of the drum kit into a singular throbbing propulsive whole better than any, to my ears.

Like on VSOP, The Quintet  One of my deserted island discs.

funkmonkey

« Reply #25 on: 7 Aug 2009, 03:18 am »
Stanton Moore
(x2) Trilok Gurtu
Leon Parker

...all amazing!

Scott F.

« Reply #26 on: 7 Aug 2009, 03:27 am »
Antonio Sanchez from the Pat Metheny Group

Philistine

« Reply #27 on: 7 Aug 2009, 03:28 am »
I'm split with my choice, either:

Animal - from The Muppets
or
The Energizer Bunny
 :scratch:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 7 Aug 2009, 03:33 am »

Keith Moon

Joe Blocker

Mick Fleetwood

chadh

« Reply #29 on: 7 Aug 2009, 03:43 am »

My favorites...

Ginger Baker
Keith Moon
John Bonham
Mitch Mitchell

Elvin Jones
Elvin Jones
Max Roach
Elvin Jones
Elvin Jones
Tony Williams
Elvin Jones and
Elvin Jones.

Want more recent?  Try Jeff "Tain" Watts, Brian Blade, Jamaire Williams and...ummm....check out Chris "Daddy" Dave: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_eIN4RLA-E or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TugcmLbKB7A

In fact, any drummer who plays with Kenny Garrett seems to kick ridiculous amounts of ass.

And I think we need a few more votes for Elvin Jones.

Chad

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #30 on: 7 Aug 2009, 03:48 am »
I can't believe you guys are forgetting Steve Gadd, and Jeff Porcaro.......

mjosef

« Reply #31 on: 7 Aug 2009, 03:54 am »
Yeah...Max Roach, the most effortless drummer I ever saw. He bends time to his sticks.
Last time I saw him was at a free outdoor concert with Cecil Taylor on the grounds of Columbia University. He looked frail walking up to the stage and had assistance. But once he sat down behind those skins...its like he was young and strong, a completely different person.   :o
And after playing, he stood up and briskly walked offstage unassisted. The most amazing thing I ever saw.
MAX ROACH.

I like Brian BLade better than Tain Watts...

mr_bill

« Reply #32 on: 7 Aug 2009, 03:54 am »
I have two words for you........Neil Peart.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #33 on: 7 Aug 2009, 03:59 am »
I'd like to give Tony Williams a little more due if I may. Not only was the body his drumwork a major force in the history of the instrument, his contributioin to the move from tradition acoustic jazz to a more electric thing with Miles in the late 60s is often overlooked.

When he was on he crafted the disparate sounds of the drum kit into a singular throbbing propulsive whole better than any, to my ears.

Like on VSOP, The Quintet  One of my deserted island discs.

Mike,
I am a drummer and know that you are one as well.  As far as rock drummers, Carl Palmer, Neil Peart, and Lars are favorites.  Buddy Rich, well, do I need to say more?  Pertenoy of Dream Theater.  The drummers from Godsmack (Animal), Death Angel, Yes (Alan White?), Red Hot Chillies, and Slipknot.  Sorry for possibly terrible spelling.  Some of these guys have great instructional videos.  Drumming is almost a sport since you use your body quiet a bit which can make it harder as you age.  The drummer for Spyro Gyra is a jazz favorite.  Anyway, you gotta love the topic!

Best Regards,
Tommy

doorman

« Reply #34 on: 7 Aug 2009, 04:29 am »
We better not forget Jeff Sipe!
So many great drummers!
Don

TJC712

« Reply #35 on: 7 Aug 2009, 04:32 am »
Harvey Mason, Omar Hakeem, Manu Katche', Ritchie Hayward (Little Feat), Bobby Colomby (Blood, Sweat & Tears), Bernard "Pretty" Purdie (originator of the "Purdy Shuffle" and has played with everybody since the beginning of time), Jim Gordon (60's-70's stud that played with Lennon, Traffic, Clapton, Steely Dan). BTW... anyone that played with Steely Dan had to have the goods! Check out their list of drummers over the years.

mark@marktwain

« Reply #36 on: 7 Aug 2009, 01:47 pm »
My favorite is Neil Peart (ie: The Professor) from RUSH.

Mark

nathanm

« Reply #37 on: 7 Aug 2009, 02:44 pm »
Stephen Shelton, Terry Bozzio, Dennis The Menace, Pete Sandoval, John Bonham

owenmd

« Reply #38 on: 7 Aug 2009, 07:58 pm »
Big Phil Collins fan.... but didn't see Abe Laboriel Jr mentioned..?

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/abelaboriel.html

PhilNYC

« Reply #39 on: 7 Aug 2009, 08:24 pm »
x1 on Stewart Copeland. Really inventive.

Another +1 for Copeland....

Others for me:

Keith Moon (The Who)
John Bonham (Led Zep)
Mark Brzezicki (Big Country)
Tony Hymas (Jeff Beck Group)
Billy Cobham (Mahavishnu Orchestra)