A coffee newbie with questions

TF1216

• Industry Participant
A coffee newbie with questions
« on: 30 Oct 2008, 05:18 pm »
Hey guys,

I recently started drinking coffee to help me stay coherent throughout the day.  The friendly managers at a local Mobil station allows my company's employees to get coffee for free.  I am not one to turn down anything that is free.  I made myself a cup of Green Mountain Hazelnut coffee and fell in love with it today.  I sweetened it only with a packet of stevia.

My question is, is there a place to buy Hazelnut coffee made from real hazelnuts?  From some web surfing I found this site:http://www.irvingfarm.com/index.cfm?c=1&s=1&pg=product_Detail.cfm&sub=1&prodCat=1&prodID=69

They said they make natural syrup and mix it to make the desired hazelnut flavor.  Is this considered "real" Hazelnut coffee?

Do you experienced guys know if I would even like the flavor of a "real" flavored coffee or should I stick to the artificially flavored varieties?

Thanks all!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: A coffee newbie with questions
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2008, 05:40 pm »
Personally I hate flavored coffee as it hides the true flavor of the coffee at hand. But to be honest, flavored coffee was all I drank when I first started drinking coffee. Once tho I started trying out specialty coffee's from around the world, flavored coffee's made me sick to my stomach. There are so many great coffee's out there from Africa & South America that I won't even touch Green Mountain Coffee anymore and I'm from Vermont. :lol: Even from the state where it's roasted, there's no telling how long ago those store beans had been roasted. If it's a fresh roasted cup of coffee you want, it's best that the beans were roasted within a week ago.

Cheers,
Robin

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2008, 05:54 pm »
Drink what taste good to you.  Hope you never get picky and have to go exclusively to expensive Arabica beans.

mcullinan

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2008, 06:19 pm »
I have had really bad experiences with Terrior coffees. Every one has had a baad after taste. Even after calling and complaining, and the person sticking their nose up at Starbucks (an example I gave as a coffee I drank.)... Which is not a terrible coffee by far... idk Maybe I have common plebian corn polk taste buds, wtf... That really irks me when someone plays that game. the snooty one. Fuck him. anyways I have issues. He was talking roast profiles, blah blah... sure I get it but can you tell me in a lets work with the po folk manner any more ??

Anyways his first suggestion was to put less coffee per oz. OK I did. I ordered 2 different coffees. Both had a similar bitter and sour aftertaste. So for the last month Ive been sneaking it in with better tasting coffee to get rid of it and today I felt extra kvetchy, called up the company, talked to a woman who then transferred me to snoot man. mfer.. if i could p*ss down his neck, just cuz its a sunny day!

Anyways their were 1 minute pauses of silence. He would say hello. I said yes. Finally they are sending me out a Sumatra Southern Italian thing a ma bob. We will see.
To be continued. Sure I dont know about a lot of things. But it was mostly that attitude that got me. I drive a rusty chum bucket of a car and work in Roslyn Heights and you can see the upperclass opinions drueling from the end of their nose-jobbed noses. You know the type. Those old bags who have lost their youth and have only their Gucci handbag to prop them up.

Sorry Im a lil out of control.
Mike  :o :o :o

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2008, 06:22 pm »
WOW - I'll have one of what you're having Mike, but not until after work.  :beer:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2008, 07:22 pm »
Drink what taste good to you.  Hope you never get picky and have to go exclusively to expensive Arabica beans.

Might as well tell the guy to stick with his Ipod,,, hope you never become picky and become a high end gear audiophile like the rest of us audiophools. :lol: Sound about right? aa

Cheers,
Robin

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2008, 07:43 pm »
Well if that is the way it has to be, may you always be able to tolerate Starbucks' house blend and may you never get the urge to splurge on kopi luwak.   :wink:

Just to make things better, alway grind just before you brew.  I like French press better then drip and I drink black.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2008, 07:43 pm »
Haha, good one Robin! 

Thanks for posting guys.

mcullinan

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2008, 07:51 pm »
hey I feel better... Hehe.
Mike

soundbitten1

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2008, 08:51 pm »
If you need coffee to stay coherent maybe you should try to get a little more sleep instead . The more you drink the sooner it leads into the law of diminishing returns . I was up to 6 or 7 cups a day at one time and it just made me edgier and more caffeine dependent with little energy boost . Energy would spike but there was always the downturn when it wore off .

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2008, 09:07 pm »
Well if that is the way it has to be, may you always be able to tolerate Starbucks' house blend and may you never get the urge to splurge on kopi luwak.   :wink:

Just to make things better, alway grind just before you brew.  I like French press better then drip and I drink black.

I wouldn't drink Starbucks coffee on a bet. :lol: You know what they about black don't ya, once you go black, you never come back. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2008, 09:13 pm »
If you need coffee to stay coherent maybe you should try to get a little more sleep instead . The more you drink the sooner it leads into the law of diminishing returns . I was up to 6 or 7 cups a day at one time and it just made me edgier and more caffeine dependent with little energy boost . Energy would spike but there was always the downturn when it wore off .

I don't drink coffee for the buzz, I drink it for the taste and it's never first thing in the morning but instead at nite after dinner. I'm fortunate that I can drink a couple cups of buzz coffee a few hours before bedtime and not have a problem sleeping. 2 cups a day for me during primetime. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

mcullinan

« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2008, 12:03 am »
omg thats a LOt of coffee... You know your drinking too much coffee when you get that burnt out feeling in the afternoon. I drink up to where I dont get that effect.
Probably 2.5 cups. I drink an extra large Dunkin everyday. I figure thats how much it is.
Mike

I drink the coffee for the flavor too. I LOVE coffee. LOVE with Passion. I dream about coffee in the morning.
We went to Costa Rica for our honey moon.. Have you ever had Costarican coffee? Full bodied dark smooth finish. That shts dope. I didnt taste any aftertast that was bitter and sour. grrr..

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2008, 12:11 am »
omg thats a LOt of coffee... You know your drinking too much coffee when you get that burnt out feeling in the afternoon. I drink up to where I dont get that effect.
Probably 2.5 cups. I drink an extra large Dunkin everyday. I figure thats how much it is.
Mike

I drink the coffee for the flavor too. I LOVE coffee. LOVE with Passion. I dream about coffee in the morning.
We went to Costa Rica for our honey moon.. Have you ever had Costarican coffee? Full bodied dark smooth finish. That shts dope. I didnt taste any aftertast that was bitter and sour. grrr..

Yep, I've had Costa Rica coffee, the batch I had from 3 years ago was great. For the last couple of years tho, it's all been about El Savador and Guatemala with some Kenya thrown in.

Cheers,
Robin