Anyone do this " Bulletproof Coffee " thing ??

2bigears

Anyone do this " Bulletproof Coffee " thing ??
« on: 24 May 2014, 11:10 pm »
 :D  hello  ,, anyone try this ??  Butter in coffee ??   actually sounds interesting ,, but I could be wrong ... :D

guf

Re: Anyone do this " Bulletproof Coffee " thing ??
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2014, 11:24 pm »
Yes! we have been doing it at my house.  We use MCT oil and Ghee, and have done the butter.  We use local beans roasted here in San Francisco. Its strange but good. Very satisfying. I have actually felt more focused after drinking , like their claims. It's not something I'd do everyday but once in a while i crave it.  I'm a distance runner and after a 50 mile race it was the first thing i had when i got home. My girl friend does it a few times a week in the morning like suggested and it satiates your hunger.  Thinking about it makes me want one now. 

guf

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2014, 11:36 pm »
you can get the whole branded Bulletproof ingredients. But it's not necessary.  I do think it's important to start with a decent fresh roasted bean. Grass fed butter or Ghee ( clarified butter ) can be purchased from any health food or gourmet market.  And MCT oil is ultra purified coconut oil. Its expensive but its the best.  I pull shots of coffee and make an Americano, my normal morning drink, and throw it in a Vitamix, with a teaspoon each of the other ingredients. Blend for 10-15 seconds and you get a frothy, buttery, latte. 

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2014, 11:41 pm »
I do grass-fed butter and coconut oil.  I use it to add fat to my diet, since I'm on a low carb, high fat diet.  If you're avoiding vegetable oils, it's hard to add fat to your diet.

I've also done the same with tea, although some teas have a strange flavor with butter and oil. In particular, teas with smoky overtones are a bit strange. 

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2014, 11:51 pm »
:D  hello  ,, anyone try this ??  Butter in coffee ??   actually sounds interesting ,, but I could be wrong ... :D

Any links to share? I tend to eat a low-carb, high-fat diet. I have a rare form of cystic fibrosis and have to eat a lot of calories to maintain weight since my pancreas doesn't work that well.

guf

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2014, 11:55 pm »

bluebottle coffee, ghee, MCT

mamba315

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2014, 11:59 pm »
This must be the link to get most people started:
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/

Been buying Kerrygold butter for years.  And I also eat very low carb/high fat.  Will give this a try.  Usually drink coffee black but this sounds interesting.

guf

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2014, 12:00 am »
Any links to share? I tend to eat a low-carb, high-fat diet. I have a rare form of cystic fibrosis and have to eat a lot of calories to maintain weight since my pancreas doesn't work that well.
here's the official page.  just search bulletproof coffee. Yeah the paleo people are into it.

http://www.ruled.me/bulletproof-coffee/

or yeah mamba's link is the official page

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2014, 12:29 am »
I do grass-fed butter and coconut oil.  I use it to add fat to my diet, since I'm on a low carb, high fat diet.  If you're avoiding vegetable oils, it's hard to add fat to your diet.

I've also done the same with tea, although some teas have a strange flavor with butter and oil. In particular, teas with smoky overtones are a bit strange.

Why is it hard to add fat to your diet if you are avoiding vegetable oils? Having turducken deep fried in lard once a week, bacon at every meal, fatty cuts of beef...should have you cholesterol through the roof in no time if you believe what the experts have to say on the topic of animal fat.

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2014, 01:36 pm »
Why is it hard to add fat to your diet if you are avoiding vegetable oils? Having turducken deep fried in lard once a week, bacon at every meal, fatty cuts of beef...should have you cholesterol through the roof in no time if you believe what the experts have to say on the topic of animal fat.

OK, I don't want to derail this conversation, but you do realize that lard is almost 50% monounsaturated fat of the type found in -- gasp! -- olive oil? See, eg, http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/483/2

Also, there's no non-epidemiological evidence that saturated fat is bad for you. NONE.  For instance, in the Women's Health Initiative study -- the FIRST actual non-epidemiological study of a low fat diet, the women in the "low fat" group ate less fat overall and less saturated fat (and fewer calories and more fruits and vegetables) than the women in the control group, yet after 8 years and $420 MILLION dollars, there were no statistically significant differences between the low fat and control groups, not in heart disease or cancer. 

I just had a blood test taken after four months of eating low carb high fat and my total cholesterol is 179.  My LDL was very low.  (Not that I care about total cholesterol or LDL, as I don't, but you seem to.)

The main reasons I want to add fat to my diet is that it's healthy for you, and most animals today are much lower in fat then they once were.  Take pigs for example, they're horribly lean.

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2014, 02:49 pm »

I just had a blood test taken after four months of eating low carb high fat and my total cholesterol is 179.  My LDL was very low.  (Not that I care about total cholesterol or LDL, as I don't, but you seem to.)

The main reasons I want to add fat to my diet is that it's healthy for you, and most animals today are much lower in fat then they once were.  Take pigs for example, they're horribly lean.

I should have put expert in quotes. I care little about "expert" opinions on diet.

asliarun

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2014, 06:41 pm »
Traditional tibetian tea is quite similar to this, only tea instead of coffee, and they also add salt. It is supposed to be very nourishing and keeps you going when you are burning a ton of calories or if it is really cold - as it tends to get in Tibet :-)

Strongly brewed tea with butter and Himalayan salt, which is then whipped and drunk hot (not cold).

http://www.yowangdu.com/tibetan-food/butter-tea.html

Nick77

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2014, 09:46 pm »
you can get the whole branded Bulletproof ingredients. But it's not necessary.  I do think it's important to start with a decent fresh roasted bean. Grass fed butter or Ghee ( clarified butter ) can be purchased from any health food or gourmet market.  And MCT oil is ultra purified coconut oil. Its expensive but its the best.  I pull shots of coffee and make an Americano, my normal morning drink, and throw it in a Vitamix, with a teaspoon each of the other ingredients. Blend for 10-15 seconds and you get a frothy, buttery, latte.

I thought this was pretty wacked when i first saw it but decided to buy some Kerrygold and coconut oil and give it a try. Delicious and an amazing increase in clarity of thought. Now have a buttery latte almost every day. :)

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2014, 10:07 pm »
Delicious and an amazing increase in clarity of thought.

The same results can be achieved with 2 eggs, buttered toast and coffee. Construction workers have known this for years.