Saturday, August 4 gathering in south county

EvanF

• audio repair guy
Re: Saturday, August 4 gathering in south county
« Reply #20 on: 5 Aug 2018, 02:04 am »
Evan here. Had a hell of a time spinning my favorites as they are meant to be heard, but like all meetups the gear takes a backseat to the conversation. And the gear was a very nice treat to see in the flesh. Maybe I'll tell some of my trusted customers about this community.... The audiophile pool of St. Louis is not starved for interesting and delightful fellows, to say the least.

Oh, and I'm sure now that I'm not shipping my McIntosh MC75s to their future home. They'll stay in town  8)

Thanks for having us over. Definitely a fitting end to my most audio intensive summer ever.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #21 on: 5 Aug 2018, 05:04 pm »
Had a blast yesterday guys. Really glad I gave up on the clogged drain for a few hours to come out. Thanks again to Dave for hosting and for having the coolest basement in the history of the world! To echo Evan though, the real highlight of course was getting to talk in person with others who are similarly afflicted about audio equipment and music. Looking forward to the next GAS gathering already!

popthinker

« Reply #22 on: 5 Aug 2018, 08:18 pm »
Had a blast yesterday guys. Really glad I gave up on the clogged drain for a few hours to come out. Thanks again to Dave for hosting and for having the coolest basement in the history of the world! To echo Evan though, the real highlight of course was getting to talk in person with others who are similarly afflicted about audio equipment and music. Looking forward to the next GAS gathering already!
+1

That's the spirit we need!

daves

« Reply #23 on: 7 Aug 2018, 12:26 pm »
It was a very nice event, and we are glad everyone enjoyed themselves. It was a lot of fun dipping into albums for a marked change of pace.

Evan, you can relax in knowing the kitchen system does produce bass, after I switched the SET amp out with the restored Dynaco ST70. Maybe we can compare the ST70 and the Marantz 8b at the next gathering.

daves

« Reply #24 on: 7 Aug 2018, 11:16 pm »
I have done some digging, and we have an Eico HF87, Marantz 8b, and A Dynaco ST70 all restored and set up for a session. Would there be any interest in a session next month with these EL34 based tube amps?

popthinker

« Reply #25 on: 8 Aug 2018, 07:43 pm »
mmmmm....yes!

EvanF

• audio repair guy
« Reply #26 on: 8 Aug 2018, 08:58 pm »
The interest is there! Marantz 8b is a bucket list amp for me. Not sure if I can make it from Rolla next month but it's looking like I can find the time then. I'll keep on the lookout for more rare tube amps. Marantz Model 9s would look good there...

JohnH12

• John H
« Reply #27 on: 9 Aug 2018, 01:04 am »
Dave, I'd love to hear some of my speakers on a tube amp.  If you think that might be possible please let me know.  I can check the impedance curves if there are any concerns.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #28 on: 9 Aug 2018, 02:57 pm »
I'd certainly be interested depending on the date. I'm a sucker for direct side-by-side comparisons  :lol: