Squeezebox Touch Interior Photos

HT cOz

Squeezebox Touch Interior Photos
« on: 27 Aug 2011, 01:19 pm »
Does anyone have pics of a Touch's inards?  How hard would it be to rebox one of these into a different chassis? 

Kind Regards,
Robert

Wayne1

Re: Squeezebox Touch Interior Photos
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2011, 03:28 pm »
I have done it once with the help of Bill Baker of Purity Audio.

Bill made an acrylic face plate that would allow the Touch to be held in place.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Re: Squeezebox Touch Interior Photos
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2011, 05:39 pm »
No pics, but here's a good description of how to open one up by JohnSwenson over at forum.slimdevices.com. I've been contemplating this myself to tap into the I2S signals. There are also some pics of the Touch board with an I2S interface installed over at audioasylum (search the K&K forum for squeezebox touch).

It comes in two pieces, front and back plastic case, the front has the display attached and the back has the board attached. In between is the umbilical for the display, this is two flexible PC (FPC) assemblies, one one small (for power) and one wider (for signals). These are permanently attached to the display and go into connectors on the board attached to the back. There is very little slack on these FPCs, this is the main problem with taking it apart and getting it back together.

You have two approaches here: take the cables out of the connectors and separate the two pieces OR leave the umbilical in place unscrew the board from the back case.

Taking the FPCs out of their connectors is quite easy, but it is a royal pain getting them back in correctly without damaging anything when putting it back together. In the other approach you keep the umbilical in place and "clamshell" the two halves, opening up a small space between them and getting a small screwdriver in to take out the screws holding the board to the back case. You do this for all four sides. All the screws are around the periphery of the board so this can be done. Be careful not to exert too much tension on the FPCs, you don't want to rip anything or cause them to come out of the connectors (the connectors are latching, the FPCs are held quite well in their grasp).

Its hard to say which is the best approach, I've done it both ways and its about equal amount of swearing either way.

Even if you go for the disconnect the FPCs route you still have to unscrew the board from the back, all the interesting stuff is on the side of the board between the board and back.

Currently you have taken off the silver "foot" and the two screws that hold the front and back together. At this point the only thing holding them together is friction, there are no more fasteners or latches or any such. You just have to pull them apart. A thin blade such as a putty knife might be helpful in trying to pry them apart. Once they DO come apart make sure you don't put much tension on the FPC. You DON'T want to grab the front and back and put huge force on them, and then have them "explosively" separate and rip the FPCs out. Gentle persuasion works better.

In addition to the above there are two twisted pair going between the front assembly and the board (the microphone and the speaker). These have connectors and are easy to remove, just make sure you draw a picture noting the orientation of the colored wires so you can put it back together the right way.

After you have the board unscrewed from the back you have to get the board out of the back. This isn't easy. The board fits under a "lip" molded into the case, the fit is VERY tight. I found the best way to get it out is to hold the back in your fingers and use your thumbs to apply pressure to the connectors on the back, pushing them back in, this will force the board out of the back case.