« on: 11 Oct 2008, 05:42 pm »
A nice write up at the Stereophile blog
http://blog.stereophile.com/rmaf2008/101108vonschweik/

Wayne

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
Re: VR-9SE at RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2008, 12:54 am »
And I'll add,, driven by Kevin's new Phi 200 VAC amplifier (making its world debut at this RMAF), the VR9's threw the most realistic and musical presentation, cost no object, at the show this year, IMO.  Next door neighbors Focal and Hanson couldn't compete,, and neither could the new giant mirror finished and wavy Kef's to my ears or YG Acoustics. 

JAB

PS  If you haven't viewed the NEW VSA website,,, ck it out!

arthurs

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2008, 02:00 am »
It was a really good room.  I think it took them a bit to dial it in at first (it was also a very tough room setup) but once they had it it was really enjoyable, I kept going back.  The Von Schweikert folks (father, son and Manny) were very friendly and we had some fun laughing about the by now worn out demo tracks you hear over and over...and spending time talking to Kevin Hayes is always a treat.  One of my favorites at the show (but my bias on VAC gear is pretty well known!)

I agree with jab as well, the rooms next door weren't on the same level...

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2008, 02:31 am »
arthurs,, I don't think I'll ever listen to another Nils Lofgren song again!  On heavy rotation everywhere!

JAB

arthurs

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2008, 02:37 am »
I gave Manny and Alberts son (drawing a blank) much crap about it, we all had several laughs as it seemed anytime we saw each other, it was on...I'm done with it, forever!

Damon!  just remembered his name...been along week, sorry Damon...

Damon Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2008, 04:14 am »
I gave Manny and Alberts son (drawing a blank) much crap about it, we all had several laughs as it seemed anytime we saw each other, it was on...I'm done with it, forever!

Just for that, I'm sending you a copy of the demo disc!

arthurs

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2008, 04:16 am »

Just for that, I'm sending you a copy of the demo disc!

Arrrrggghhh!  It was great meeting you Damon, and the room was really nice, safe travels home and enjoy the rest of the show!

duguyisheng

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2008, 04:28 am »
I thought it was by far the best room at the show. The vr5 with the moscode amp was also great. Manny and Damon--enjoyed talking to you.

vgregory

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2008, 11:56 am »
Curious - how was the room setup? was all three speakers (VR5 anniv, VR9 and Uniphase) being driven by one VAC phi 200 or a pair?

Also - what about the Moscode room with the VR5 SE?

Thanks

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2008, 12:52 pm »
it was mono configuration of the VAC Phi 200 on the VR9's.  Looked to be the Oracle transport/player on the top shelf of the rack and also the VAC Sig PreAmp.  The Phi Alpha D/A Converter may have been in use too in this room.

The VR5 Anniversary model was driven in the Moscode room by their new 402 Stereo amp I believe.  This room presented yet another set of challenges because of room size and short set-up distance to the listener.  I think the "genie" was not quite out of the bottle at this display.  The VR5's are capable of so much muscle and weight,, finesse and float, much like the VR9's..

The Unifield 3's were powered using the Audio Space Ref 1 amps in mono configuration.  They also used the Audio Space CD player/transport and their own outboard DAC.  The Ref 3.1 (300B) is the recommended Audio Space amp for the Unifield 3's (Albert used this model while creating the Unifield 3's).  Another member of this board uses the NuForce amps too great affect on his Uni 3's.  The 3D soundstage this model creates is stunning,, as is the remarkable bass from its single 7" mag cone driver! 

JAB

vgregory

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2008, 01:10 pm »
Thanks Jab - George Kaye was indicating that he had the VR5 SE on audiogon -

Interesting he didn't have a mono setup with the VR5 Anniv - but with a small room/contraints it would be quite difficult...

How did the amps sound between the VAC and Moscode? What are the charactertics of both?

vgregory

« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2008, 01:17 pm »
Interesting - Moscode website mentions they had the VR5 SE on thier website....

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2008, 02:01 pm »
I'll try to get over to the VSA rooms again before I leave RMAF this morning.  Hard to critically judge and assess equipment at these shows.  The mfg do the very best they can to tame and exorcise the demons each room possess.  The VAC/VR9 synergy was clearly  "standout" given the room and placement.  I kept going back to listen again and again.  Yin and Yang,, sweet yet capable of shaking the house down.  Luv em all!

JAB

vgregory

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2008, 02:28 pm »
Thanks Jab - greatly appreciate it.  I am very interested in both amps -

I am wondering how the VAC amps are connected to the VR9 SE? I have called VAC's office and they told me that the phi 200 did not have a stereo/mono switch like the phi 300. Are the RCA terminals both functional in mono config (for top and bottom modules)?   

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2008, 02:41 pm »
V,, I'll see if I can find Kevin this morning and/or take some pics...

"Both fully balanced and single-ended input modes are supported; by switch setting, the front end circuitry is rearranged to be correct and optimal for the selected mode".  "If not for the VAC Phi 300.1, the Phi 200 would be the world's audio best amplifier".  MSRP $9800.

JAB

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2008, 06:17 pm »
On this last day,, the Uni 3's are now powered by the Audio Space Integrated 300B amp.  Magic!  Will try to get some pics out later today/tomorrow.

Best,

JAB

disco

• Industry Participant
    • Supra HiFi
« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2008, 06:12 pm »
Bill(Rutgar) and I had a great time at RMAF. This was out second year and it was a blast!. Even though I have the VR9's/Unifield 3's and Bill has the VR4SR MkI's we found ourselves spending more time in the VS rooms than any other rooms. We just get sucked into the sound and can't leave(or we get talking to Albert  :D).

As it turned out our room was next door to the VR5 An./Moscode room. I felt this room was a bit small for the speakers and that the front row of chairs was too close. Once I moved back to the second row the 5s had a sweeter more focused sound and the soundstage opened up some. In a larger room at CES(2008) these speakers sounded sooo much like the 9's I shuttered.

The Unifield 3's, with Audio Space mono block amps, were slightly shouty and smeared, but with a change to the AS Integrated(300B) the sound was superb. These speakers are amazing for their size and price point. Bill was excited to hear them again and is chomping at the bits to get his pair(soon).

I love to see the 9's in a big room and boy was the 9 room big! I felt like I needed to be closer to the speakers so I moved a chair out front a few feet(sorry Damon I had to do it). Most people who listened in that front chair said the sound was slightly more coherent and that the 9's did a better job of disappearing. I still have yet to hear a better speaker then the 9's(11's?). Damon asked me if I had My demo disc and I did so we gave it a spin and let the VSA demo disc take a break and cool down(I think it was smoking when we pulled it out). I think everyone in the room enjoyed the change.

Overall it was a great show. We heard allot of great music, gear and talked to some fine folks. This is what this hobby and business(for me) is all about.

Scott
Advanced HT

« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2008, 08:30 pm by disco »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2008, 06:31 pm »
And I'll add,, driven by Kevin's new Phi 200 VAC amplifier (making its world debut at this RMAF), the VR9's threw the most realistic and musical presentation, cost no object, at the show this year, IMO.  Next door neighbors Focal and Hanson couldn't compete,, and neither could the new giant mirror finished and wavy Kef's to my ears or YG Acoustics. 

JAB

Agreed! These were surprisingly coherent and focused... and did a great job disappearing in the room. Very impressive!

disco

• Industry Participant
    • Supra HiFi
« Reply #18 on: 13 Oct 2008, 09:37 pm »
Pictures Bill and I took;

Delacroix

« Reply #19 on: 13 Oct 2008, 11:10 pm »
Posting for Jack, AC member 'Jab' and VS dealer in Houston, here he is with Damon and Albert, at RMAF! Everyone looking like they are having a good time. Wish I was there....

And here's the VR5s in the Moscode room

« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2008, 12:32 am by Delacroix »