Any interest in Von Schweikert speakers?

vgregory

Re: Any interest in Von Schweikert speakers?
« Reply #80 on: 11 Sep 2008, 06:16 pm »
Hi everyone - just joined today - spoke with Albert quickly and he told me about this forum. Exciting that there is alot VS owners out there.

I have a question for you all - I have a pair of VR4 GEN III HSE with a CJ M125 amp and First Sound preamp - I would like to purchase a pair of amps - either Monoblocks or a pair of stereo amps (same maker) for each speaker. What is everyone's recommendations? Vertical or Horizontal Bi-amping?

Charles Calkins

« Reply #81 on: 11 Sep 2008, 06:21 pm »
Hi everyone - just joined today - spoke with Albert quickly and he told me about this forum. Exciting that there is alot VS owners out there.

I have a question for you all - I have a pair of VR4 GEN III HSE with a CJ M125 amp and First Sound preamp - I would like to purchase a pair of amps - either Monoblocks or a pair of stereo amps (same maker) for each speaker. What is everyone's recommendations? Vertical or Horizontal Bi-amping?

I have a pair of CIA D-200 mono amps driving my VR4 GEN III HSE's. AVA T7ECR preamp. Works great for me

Cheers
                                                 Charlie

WGH

« Reply #82 on: 11 Sep 2008, 08:08 pm »
I would like to purchase a pair of amps - either Monoblocks or a pair of stereo amps (same maker) for each speaker. What is everyone's recommendations? Vertical or Horizontal Bi-amping?

I think you should give Frank Van Alstine a call. I have been using one of AVA's new Insight amps and it is a very good match with my VR2's and Charlie is using the AVA T7ECR pre-amp and sounds like he is happy. Ask about the new AVA Full Differential System.

A review of the Differential System
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56573.0

Wayne

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #83 on: 11 Sep 2008, 08:34 pm »
Wasn't sure if anyone above mentioned as I quickly scanned this page,,, but the new Von Schweikert Unifield 3 speaker is now posted under "products" at the VSA website.

Best

JAB

randybarba

« Reply #84 on: 11 Sep 2008, 09:51 pm »

What do you guys typically set the ambiance tweeter to? There is a big old absorber panel directly behind my mains. I always had them pretty low before putting them in my dedicated room. I thought they muddied the imaging up a bit. In my theater I have them turned completely off because of the panel directly behind it.

What is the general thinking on the ambience tweeter? What are your opinions?

Thanks

I'm still experimenting with the ambience tweeters until now as I just "redecorated" the room with pressure traps and sculpted foam behind the speakers. If I set it at around 5 or 6, the "air" around vocals seem to increase giving more sense of depth but some recordings become too bright. Right now, I set them at 2 to reduce brightness but still have a little bit of air around vocals. I still have to experiment with different settings to get the best compromise as I don't want to get up and adjust the tweeters for every reording  :icon_lol:.

mfsoa

« Reply #85 on: 11 Sep 2008, 10:16 pm »
I vote a big Yes if Albert is going to be involved.

Guys, I've had really good luck with diffusion behind the speaker. Not exactly behind - I have a GIK diffuser sitting on top of a vertical 4" GIK panel behind each speaker, and definitely plan on adding more of these diffusers. I want at least to put two on the front wall outboard of the speakers at mid/tweeter level.

With the rear tweeter the contribution the diffusers make is very apparent.

Highly recommended.

-Mike

jermmd

« Reply #86 on: 11 Sep 2008, 11:32 pm »

I heard the VR4's matched with VAC amplification and it was one of the best sounds I remember hearing. If I had the money, That is my dream amp.

Joe

mfsoa

« Reply #87 on: 12 Sep 2008, 12:18 am »
A quick pic- Various of my Wife's paintings go in the space in the middle.
I want to put more diffusers between the panels behind the spkrs and the corner traps.

vgregory

« Reply #88 on: 12 Sep 2008, 12:26 am »

I heard the VR4's matched with VAC amplification and it was one of the best sounds I remember hearing. If I had the money, That is my dream amp.

Joe

Choices are:

VAC 160 monoblocks
Conrad Johnson LP140M monoblocks
Conrad Johnson ET250s
Audio Research VS115 - pair of them

varsharun

« Reply #89 on: 12 Sep 2008, 12:48 am »

Joe

Choices are:

VAC 160 monoblocks
Conrad Johnson LP140M monoblocks
Conrad Johnson ET250s
Audio Research VS115 - pair of them

I'd also highly recommend the PrimaLuna amps. I use the Dialogue Two integrated with my VSA Unifield 3 and the combo is breathtaking. I am sure
the Dialogue monoblocks that should be available later in the year would be even better if you need that kind of power.

I've never tried any of the VSA speakers with digital amps but people swear by CIA and Nuforce.....

-Arun

randybarba

« Reply #90 on: 12 Sep 2008, 03:14 am »

A room only an audiophile could love. My wife on the other hand would shank me, then redecorate. lol.
Mike

You're right Mike. :lol: :lol: Luckily my wife gave me this room for my exclusive use. Even the kids are not allowed to enter without my explicit permission  :lol:. As for the rest of the house though, I have absolutely no power  :lol: :lol:.

JackD201

« Reply #91 on: 12 Sep 2008, 03:54 am »
I've never tried any of the VSA speakers with digital amps but people swear by CIA and Nuforce.....

-Arun

I've heard VR-1s with Flying Moles (Theta transport/dac, Pass Aleph P preamp)....pretty good!

VR-4 SR Mk2s matched with Jeff Rowland 501s were musically impressive as well (Lexicon Universal Disc Player, Lexicon MC8 Pre/pro, Kubala-Sosna Fascination cabling)

I think I'll borrow some Red Dragons just to check 'em out.

randybarba

« Reply #92 on: 12 Sep 2008, 09:30 am »
Randy,
Great move with the elevated base for the VR4jr.   :thumb:   :thumb:

Hi Keith. I got the idea from crisdlr. It did improve the sound in terms of making the image bigger  :).
The platform is filled with sand to hopefully reduce vibrations (looks like a Critical Mass Isolation Platform ha?  :lol:)

randybarba

« Reply #93 on: 12 Sep 2008, 09:33 am »
A room only an audiophile could love. My wife on the other hand would shank me, then redecorate. lol.
Mike

Randy is a successful urologist and his wife a successful engineer/contractor. Together they built this room and a beautiful,elegant house around it. Now THAT is what I call one COOOOOOOL marriage! :D

I do believe Doc won the music room but the wifey won decor rights for the rest of the house :twisted:  Good trade Doc! Good Trade! :D

Yup. Have to say I'm very happy with my 5% of space. She and the kids have 95% of the house  :lol: :lol:

vgregory

« Reply #94 on: 12 Sep 2008, 10:27 am »

-Arun

I've heard VR-1s with Flying Moles (Theta transport/dac, Pass Aleph P preamp)....pretty good!

VR-4 SR Mk2s matched with Jeff Rowland 501s were musically impressive as well (Lexicon Universal Disc Player, Lexicon MC8 Pre/pro, Kubala-Sosna Fascination cabling)

I think I'll borrow some Red Dragons just to check 'em out.

Have you tried a pair of stereo amps and they did compare with a pair of Monos. I will try Krell's and Mark Lev as well.

JackD201

« Reply #95 on: 12 Sep 2008, 10:56 am »
Hi Victor,

Come to think of it, I've been using mostly monoblocks over the last 4 years. I have absolutely no issues with stereo amps or integrated amps. Monoblocks seem to have better channel separation but the difference is slight just a translucent layer of fuzziness peeled away. I've found them with noticeably better headroom only when they have a dedicated line each or are feeding off a shared line greater than 20A otherwise the difference is again..slight.

I initially favored monoblocks because of the visual symmetry to be totally honest and it became a habit at least for my main system. What makes it hard for me to comment is that I never had stereo amps and mono amps from the same maker. All my stereo amps were Levinson while the monos were from Pass, BAT and Lamm who doesn't make stereo amps at all. All my other amps were/are integrateds (LSA, ASL 300B, Manley, Arcam FMJ).

I went from high powered solid state to high powered tube amps and found my happiness with Hybrids since I realized I can't live without grunt and I also can't live without a tube somewhere in the system. I'm biased towards Single Ended, Zero Negative Feedback designs as you may have noticed since all my monoblocks are SE-ZNF. I also absolutely love DHTs so I always maintain a small system with either 2a3 or 300B integrated amps in the bedroom driving mini-monitors or I go visit Keith :lol: .

Jack

vgregory

« Reply #96 on: 12 Sep 2008, 11:10 am »
Hi Victor,

Come to think of it, I've been using mostly monoblocks over the last 4 years. I have absolutely no issues with stereo amps or integrated amps. Monoblocks seem to have better channel separation but the difference is slight just a translucent layer of fuzziness peeled away. I've found them with noticeably better headroom only when they have a dedicated line each or are feeding off a shared line greater than 20A otherwise the difference is again..slight.

I initially favored monoblocks because of the visual symmetry to be totally honest and it became a habit at least for my main system. What makes it hard for me to comment is that I never had stereo amps and mono amps from the same maker. All my stereo amps were Levinson while the monos were from Pass, BAT and Lamm who doesn't make stereo amps at all. All my other amps were/are integrateds (LSA, ASL 300B, Manley, Arcam FMJ).

I went from high powered solid state to high powered tube amps and found my happiness with Hybrids since I realized I can't live without grunt and I also can't live without a tube somewhere in the system. I'm biased towards Single Ended, Zero Negative Feedback designs as you may have noticed since all my monoblocks are SE-ZNF. I also absolutely love DHTs so I always maintain a small system with either 2a3 or 300B integrated amps in the bedroom driving mini-monitors or I go visit Keith :lol: .

Jack

Hi Jack -

Thank you very insight - I am in the midst in experimenting several amps configuration...I have tried the Class D amps and it wasnt to my liking...

I'm with you - I have gone for SS to all tubes system - ever since I have had my First Sound preamp it changed everything. 

Also - seriously upgrading to the VR5 Anniversary -

Thanks

JackD201

« Reply #97 on: 12 Sep 2008, 11:19 am »
Congratulations!  I was so sad when I delivered the VR-5s to their owner. I miss 'em. Good thing he gave us visiting rights! :D

JakeJ

« Reply #98 on: 12 Sep 2008, 04:59 pm »
It is my sincere hope we can create a circle now as the "house" in general is such a nice place (thanks, JohnR). In addition to having people participating that are in the VSA inner circle like JackD201 & keith (VSA reps and dealers in the Phillipines), jab & vgregory (who have direct conversation with the man), and Delacroix the OP and a reviewer using VR5 SEs as his reviewing reference speakers plus the possibility of Mr. Von Schweikert becoming actively involved is really exciting.

If the circle is approved I put my vote in for Jack and Keith to facilitate/moderate if you guys feel up to it. Your in-depth knowledge of the speakers will be of great value to us end users.

So here's a shameless plug for the poll here and a cheap bump, although probably we have just about all our members involved now that are interested.

I should mention I don't have a great room and the picture I posted shows some tube trap type acoustic devices and have since bought a pair of MondoTraps and a pair of MiniTraps from RealTraps recently plus rearranging the room (chronicled here) have made a difference. I should roll the VR4s out again and try 'em in this setup. Ultimately though I believe it's still the amps and will at that time try a couple of other units to see if the theory holds any water. Pics to follow.

varsharun

« Reply #99 on: 12 Sep 2008, 06:22 pm »

Hi Jack -

Thank you very insight - I am in the midst in experimenting several amps configuration...I have tried the Class D amps and it wasnt to my liking...

I'm with you - I have gone for SS to all tubes system - ever since I have had my First Sound preamp it changed everything. 

Also - seriously upgrading to the VR5 Anniversary -

Thanks

Victor,

You may want to listen to the Unifield 3 before upgrading to the VR5. I haven't personally listened to the VR5 or the higher models, but have spoken
extensively with Albert who is of the opinion that the Unifield 3 comes close to the VR-9 except perhaps not as loud or room filling and suited for small
to medium sized rooms.

-Arun