Any interest in Von Schweikert speakers?

keith

Re: Any interest in Von Schweikert speakers?
« Reply #20 on: 6 Sep 2008, 04:45 am »
Thanks guys!

Hi TubeNewbie.   :thumb: 

Here's another angle with the grills off, and the special order acrylic covers for the Lamm ML2.1s and 47 Labs Transport.

keith

« Reply #21 on: 6 Sep 2008, 04:50 am »
VR4JR user here.
Does anyone have news about the newest VR4JR - Is it the Anniversary model?

Price, availability?

Thanks

-Mike

Hi Mike.  The VR4JR model was my first VSA speaker.  I miss that pair.  :(  I matched it with a Bryston and Audio Research LS16 combo (using NOS Amperex and Mullard 6922s to add warmth to the Bryston). Awesome pair of speakers. 

I think the Anniversary edition will be available towards the end of the year.  Not sure of the price though.  It'll probably be more expensive as this will now be made in the US. 

Sandman2

« Reply #22 on: 6 Sep 2008, 04:58 am »
I currently own VR4 Gen3 HSE's. Nothing I've heard compares at the original price.  The VR5's are high on my wish list as a next step up, especially in the area of cosmetics. The Gen 3's are plain-jane in their black cloth wrap.  Could you please post better pictures of them? I haven't found very many pictures of them on the web.

Thanks,

G

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #23 on: 6 Sep 2008, 05:08 am »
Keith
Gorgeous setup!!
Mark

JackD201

« Reply #24 on: 6 Sep 2008, 12:19 pm »
I currently own VR4 Gen3 HSE's. Nothing I've heard compares at the original price.  The VR5's are high on my wish list as a next step up, especially in the area of cosmetics. The Gen 3's are plain-jane in their black cloth wrap.  Could you please post better pictures of them? I haven't found very many pictures of them on the web.

Thanks,

G

Hi G,

I started with the VR-4 Gen.III HSE myself. Splendid speakers indeed. Last I heard that very pair is now owned by a Senator here who picked it up at the original selling price from the guy I sold them to. 2nd hand VRs are tough to come by over here since there are hardly any sellers. Importing from overseas is not a good option either since freight and taxes to South East Asia pretty much wipe out any price cuts from North America. I hear he's very happy with them driven with Krell FPBs. 2nd hand 4jr Mk1s and SR Mk1s for example are holding 75% of list while say...Dynaudio Contour 3.4s and 5.4s are selling for a little over a fourth of their sticker prices. Something for us VS owners to be proud of considering the number of units imported are more or less equal.

Here's a picture of the original VR-5 SE. Tube Newbie has the gloss black Anniversary Edition I see. I hope he can post a picture of them sans the grills. Rumor has it that the Anniversary has a new midrange driver....and it's light colored. How about it Tube Newbie? Give us a peek  aa

Delacroix

« Reply #25 on: 6 Sep 2008, 04:49 pm »
So, this topic is coming to life -- there's more of us than I thought. If this keeps up, we'll have to run a poll to create a permanent circle!

Sandman2

« Reply #26 on: 6 Sep 2008, 05:28 pm »
Thanks for posting the picture, but it's so dark!

If there are other pictures I would appreciate seeing them.

My VR4 HSE's are internally wired with Analysis Plus cables. Is this the case with the new models too?

G

JackD201

« Reply #27 on: 7 Sep 2008, 02:44 am »
Hi G,

I have some pictures in my other computer. I'll post them when I can. All kind of dark though.

As far as I know all VSA speakers were wired internally with Analysis Plus Oval 12s until very recently. The new VR-9s and VR-11s are now wired with VSA's own cables. I'll ask Albert if he'll be effecting the changes on all models from the Jr Anniversary on up to the VR-7.

I used AP Silvers for the MT modules and Oval 9s for the bass modules when I had my HSEs and used Solo Crystal 8s with the SR Mk.1s. By the time the 5s came I switched to Paul Garner's Verbatim ribbons.

Cables I've heard and liked with current VS speakers (We don't distribute any of those mentioned) are:

Acoustic Zen Satori
MIT Magnum Series
Verbatim Signature
Analysis Plus Solo Crystal 8
Audience Au24
Townshend DCT Isolda
Kubala-Sosna Fascination and Emotion
Purist Audio Design Museus and Venustus

All these have in common is that they are all 6 nines copper whether continuous cast, litz, ribbon or, helical or even cryo'd. In our systems Silver doesn't seem to match very well. The only silver is found in the coils of the Zyx Airy S 3.

Any cable recommendations out there?

Jack

JakeJ

« Reply #28 on: 7 Sep 2008, 07:19 pm »
I'll throw in. I own a pair of VR4 G3 HSE also. I haven't had the luxury of trying a lot of different cables but my best results are with my Analysis Plus Silver Oval bi-wired from amp outputs to each module (equal lengths of course). I was unaware that they are wired internally with AP but it makes sense that I would have good results by using AP wire on the outside too.

I have been having a serious itch to open them up and see how difficult it would be to bypass the crossover and run them actively crossed. Anyone tried this? I am thinking this due to the fact that I never got them to really open up soundstage/imaging-wise. The image is always focused between the cabinets and there is never anything going on outside the left and right planes of the speakers (no wall-to-wall image). I always assumed it was due to my room(s) being too small. As far as electronics, well, same thing as wire. Hey, I'm just a blue-collar audiophool so it took a couple of years just to get the scratch together to buy them...used...for $4K (still in production at that time).

Judging from the photos posted it would appear Lamm is the preferred electronics for them. Could be I just can't get them to perform to their best as Lamm equipment is pretty much unobtainium for me. Does Albert voice his speakers with Lamm?

Jake

Delacroix

Poll now up in the Town Square
« Reply #29 on: 7 Sep 2008, 07:45 pm »
IF you are interested in us creating a VSA circle, please vote!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59264.0

giantsteps

« Reply #30 on: 7 Sep 2008, 08:30 pm »

I had VR2's for a while but got tired moving them (lead-filled) around to sound right. Sold them and got VR1's (easy to move), aren't so placement fussy and blend well in my 15' x 13' room. I've had them for over 2 years and haven't heard anything that I'd rather have in their price range (used).

Frank 

Dimfer

« Reply #31 on: 7 Sep 2008, 11:22 pm »
picture as requested

I have not installed the spikes yet as this system is still a work in progress

will start negotiating with the boss (the one I married) regarding removal/replacement of the center table.

this room has lot's of glass, I have a big aquarium

Sandman2

« Reply #32 on: 7 Sep 2008, 11:24 pm »
Jake,

Can you describe the rest of your system and IC's, the room and speaker placement? One of the strong points of V speakers I always hear about and have experienced myself, is the wide, enveloping soundstage they create.  The silver cables may be a bit lean and analytical sounding in a solid state audio chain.  I currently use Acoustic Zen Shotgun speaker cables and Matrix Reference 2 IC's. I didn't have good luck using the Silver Reference 2 anywhere in my system.

G

Sandman2

« Reply #33 on: 7 Sep 2008, 11:28 pm »
Awesome system, Tube Newbie!  what has changed in the new version of the VR5's from the last version? The midrange speaker is different for sure.

G

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #34 on: 8 Sep 2008, 02:30 am »
I've been a representative/dealer for VSA over 10 years and I'm absolutely thrilled to expose audiophiles to Albert Von Schweikert's products.  VSA offers the most musical speakers in the industry regardless of model/price.  I've never met a more passionate and committed audio designer in Albert Von Schweikert and I'm delighted to finally see a thread, an owners circle, that will provide fair VSA product feedback thru personal and shared experiences.  In a little over a month at the RMAF, audiophiles will have an opportunity to see and hear Albert's new Unifield 3 series speakers.  Albert has some great things on the drawing board for the remainder of 2008 and next year,, so look out for new products and a new website design coming soon!

Cheers

pardales

« Reply #35 on: 8 Sep 2008, 02:35 am »
I have owned both the VR2's and VR4JR's in the past. When accompanied with quality equipment and properly set-up, they are excellent speakers. 

JackD201

« Reply #36 on: 8 Sep 2008, 04:01 am »
I'll throw in. I own a pair of VR4 G3 HSE also. I haven't had the luxury of trying a lot of different cables but my best results are with my Analysis Plus Silver Oval bi-wired from amp outputs to each module (equal lengths of course). I was unaware that they are wired internally with AP but it makes sense that I would have good results by using AP wire on the outside too.

I have been having a serious itch to open them up and see how difficult it would be to bypass the crossover and run them actively crossed. Anyone tried this? I am thinking this due to the fact that I never got them to really open up soundstage/imaging-wise. The image is always focused between the cabinets and there is never anything going on outside the left and right planes of the speakers (no wall-to-wall image). I always assumed it was due to my room(s) being too small. As far as electronics, well, same thing as wire. Hey, I'm just a blue-collar audiophool so it took a couple of years just to get the scratch together to buy them...used...for $4K (still in production at that time).

Judging from the photos posted it would appear Lamm is the preferred electronics for them. Could be I just can't get them to perform to their best as Lamm equipment is pretty much unobtainium for me. Does Albert voice his speakers with Lamm?

Jake

Hi Jake,

If memory serves me correctly our HSEs were voiced with John Ulrich's Spectron Musician amplifiers. Powerful switching amps from the patent holder for switching amps. I had no problems whatsoever with soundstaging  when I had them. I was using a 2nd hand Mark Levinson No.23.5 and later a No.332 which I picked up for $1800 and $2200 respectively. The new owner, the frugal Senator, I mentioned uses them with pre-owned Krell FPB 200s (?) and supposedly has a walk in soundstage as well. I wouldn't touch the crossover because to my mind this is really what we paid for and where Albert VS is unique.

The new models are I believe voiced with Kevin Hayes' VAC Phi amplifiers for tubes but for linear solid state I don't actually know. Lamm is expensive but is a final destination kind of deal. The newer models of the premium line that started with the SR Mk.1s love tubes heres a short list of what our clients have used to very good effect for VR-4 SRs Mk.1 and Mk.2 that don't include Lamm's M1.2, M2.2 and ML1.1. We've found what works for 4 SRs generally work for 5 SEs but 5 owners eventually upgrade their amps.

Audio Research Reference 110
VAC Phi Beta
VAC Standard
ASL Hurricanes
ASL 845 Parallels
VTL MB lines
BAT VK-75s
BAT VK-150s
Jadis JA-200s

Solid State includes

Nuforce Reference 9
practically all 3 and 4 series Levinsons
KSA and FPB Krells
Pass Labs X series (I haven't heard any XAs)
Bel Canto
Jeff Rowland 201s and 501s
McIntosh MCs
Musical Fidelity CRs

The Jrs are somewhat more versatile and flexible since local owners put them in smaller rooms. Some amps that come to mind that they have used on the medium wattage side include the following:

Primaluna Ones
Melody KT88s
Vintage Marantz, Leak, Eico, Dynaco and Fisher amps
Conrad Johnson MV-55, MV-60
Cary Rockets
Manley Stingrays and Snappers
Audio Research integrateds

These are and were amps used with their VR-1s and continued to use them when they upped to Jrs. Curiously we only sold 3 VR-2s. Most bit the bullet and bypassed them opting to stretch their budgets for the Jrs.

In bigger rooms (> 20 sq/m) the jrs ended up clipping smaller amps and owners with larger rooms have used

Levinson 335s
Levinson 432s
Unison Research's hybrids bridged to 500wpc (this surprised me. five stars for this one)
JRDG 501s
LSA/DK Design Standard Amplifiers
Plinius 9100 and 9200 integrated amps

JackD201

« Reply #37 on: 8 Sep 2008, 05:09 am »
Nice pics Tube Newbie!

OT

After looking at your tank I took a peek at the monster fishkeeper site. I've always dreamed of having a giant tank but I have problems keeping houseplants alive and a terrible record with pets! :cry: I guess I'll stick to pets that feed on electricity :D

daiku

« Reply #38 on: 8 Sep 2008, 05:15 am »
I am up for it.  My surround system is all Martin Logan, but my 2 channel setup are original VR-4 silvers.  I also have a standard VR-4 that I have used in the past as a center channel.

Wow, don't remember any stereo shops like that when I worked in Makati back in the 80's.

JackD201

« Reply #39 on: 8 Sep 2008, 05:29 am »
Hi daiku,

It was slim pickings in the 80s alright. There was only one shop called Audiophile in Paco, Manila. They moved on to sell professional equipment but retained the name. Now there are 5 major shops in Manila, one in Iloilo and one in Cebu. Most top-of-mind brands are represented these days from Phono Cartridges to Loudspeakers. Time for a vacation here :)

Jack