Bohlender Graebener Neo 8 compared to GRS PT6825-8 8" Planar Mid/Tweeter

Mike 1960

I did some search queries and came up with squat. So I will put it out there. Has any one compared the original GB Neo 8 to the newish GRS nock off at Parts Express?
Oh, where can I find plans for LS6 - LS9 ? I would like to have a look so I can make an informed decision.
Thanks for any help....

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
I've only looked at the GRS 3" & 10" drivers so far, and they're fairly similar, but not exact. The GRS-3 models have a little higher distortion in the mid band but are overall fairly nice.

The GRS 10 has a rising response but is a fairly solid replacement so long as you update the crossover to compensate.

I think a few people looked at ghe GRS 8 clone, but i don't remember seeing a whole lot about it overall.

I did start a comparison thread a while back for the GRS Neo 3 that might be worth checking out:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172523.0

Mike 1960

Ok. I really didn't think for a moment they would be exact. But at least close. Danny would know. If I know anything then I would know he will keeping a keen eye on this right?
How about the LS plans?

Mike 1960

I like your avatar. From the 60s Disney movie of which I'm having a hard time remembering LOL.

studiotech

I did some search queries and came up with squat. So I will put it out there. Has any one compared the original GB Neo 8 to the newish GRS nock off at Parts Express?
Oh, where can I find plans for LS6 - LS9 ? I would like to have a look so I can make an informed decision.
Thanks for any help....

Have a look here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-and-exotics/360339-planar-drivers-express-10.html

My measurements start here on page 10, but there's useful info through the whole thread.

Greg

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Ok. I really didn't think for a moment they would be exact. But at least close. Danny would know. If I know anything then I would know he will keeping a keen eye on this right?
How about the LS plans?

They are suppsedly in some sort of copyright trouble for the 10" drivers, but i guess its atill ongoing as they're still being sold, plus it's not like BG is bothering to make/sell any more.

Danny is working on developing a larger driver with a company (i thought it was Radian, but that was incorrect on my part. Its a name I can't easily remember or pronounce.. lol) but he's working on a large custom planar driver design that will eventually take the Neo10s place. But we're a long ways off from that.

Someone is having a pair of Line Force made with the GRS 10" models, tho it wil likely require an updated crossover.

I like your avatar. From the 60s Disney movie of which I'm having a hard time remembering LOL.

It's actually something i drew, he's my meerkat character, hence my username. :P

Vince in TX

It's actually something i drew, he's my meerkat character, hence my username. :P

Character?   What game?     :D

I haven't participated in tabletop gaming for decades, but I still have all of my AD&D books (first and second edition), modules, lead figures (I still have my adventuring party from the early '80s), etc.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
He's just one of my many characters, tho more of a persona of sorts.

I've never really gotten into tabletob games sadly. My brain immediately ceases to function on the few occasions I've tried.
If it's more complicated than Candyland, I am immediately lost.  :lol:
No idea why, but that's just how my brain seems to work.  :scratch:

I do have lots of friends into D&D tho, and I enjoy hearing the silly stories they end up cooking up.

Mike 1960

Maybe it's just coincidence but that character looks strikingly similar to one I remember as a kid.   :?
No answer to where to get the LS plans. 

Mike 1960

I've only looked at the GRS 3" & 10" drivers so far, and they're fairly similar, but not exact. The GRS-3 models have a little higher distortion in the mid band but are overall fairly nice.

The GRS 10 has a rising response but is a fairly solid replacement so long as you update the crossover to compensate.

I think a few people looked at ghe GRS 8 clone, but i don't remember seeing a whole lot about it overall.

I did start a comparison thread a while back for the GRS Neo 3 that might be worth checking out:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172523.0

Thanks for the link.