Why Bryston?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Why Bryston?
« on: 26 Jul 2021, 10:27 am »
Hi Folks,

I was asked a question the other day and it made me think.

The question was ‘why do our customers purchase Bryston products and how do we attract more customers to these tenets’.

Appreciate any input.

James

dirk

Re: Why Bryston?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2021, 12:32 pm »
- Service from the Distributor and dealer. (Mafico)
- Warranty/service
- Good Sound (controle, refined)
- Not every year a completely new model. (higher resale value if needed)

Clive197

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2021, 01:26 pm »
All the above  :D

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2021, 01:40 pm »
1. Canadian Made- I like to support Canadian manufacturing.
2. Amps can drive a speaker- With my Paradigm Studio 100 v2, these speakers didn't sing until hooked to a Bryston amp
3. Reliable and when something does goes wrong you can get it serviced, usually free except for shipping costs.
4. Has a very good multi-channel pre-amp processor. Betters mass market brands.
5. If you're a looking for sound accuracy Bryston is it.
6. Model T speakers are to die for, particularly the bass. As in the demo, sound appears to project off the wall, example- taiko drums. Like wise in my room imaging/phantom stereo image projects off the wall in a 15' wide soundstage.
7. Local Dealer is good to work with, not dealing with snobbery or rip off artists. The feeling I get at some audio dealers.
8. Prices are reasonable compared to other Hi-Fidelity brands. And performance is just as good but probably better.
9. Bryston offers a complete stereo system. You don't need to buy any other audio brand.
10. I don't buy crap. 8)

Clive197

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2021, 03:46 pm »
Also everything he said, except I’m in the UK and run Spendor D7’s, dealing with PMC and my dealer (HiFi Lounge in Biggleswade) is a pleasure. Except I still can’t get a MUG. 😢😢😢

GrooveControl

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2021, 07:23 pm »
For me, Bryston amplifiers are the apex of performance and reliability.   

zoom25

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2021, 09:20 pm »
- Local to me (Ontario, Canada), which is useful if service issues ever come up and have to ship it.
- I can usually find Bryston gear in various dealer rooms to audition it myself, rather than buy exclusively based on reviews.
- Warranty is 20 years for analog (although not applicable to me for now with digital gear whose 5 years are long up)
- Usually reliable gear and sounds good.
- Used Bryston gear tends to be available in domestic markets like CAM, so you don't have to spring for a new product if you haven't been able to audition the gear yourself, or aren't fully sold on whether you'll like and keep it -> Did it with Torus and BDP-1 and kept them both.

cheater

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2021, 02:59 am »
For me: once I get Bryston, I know there isn't really a good reason to upgrade any more. And they're built like tanks and reliable.

It's that adage again where you buy cheap and pay twice (or thrice or more) - or buy good and pay once.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2021, 07:58 am »

- SOUND
- reliability
- customer service (including warranty)
- overall looks (love the clean, simple industrial finish)

al.

mav52

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2021, 02:00 pm »
To me , its all about customer service - PERIOD.  Bryston is tops in my book.

sfraser

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2021, 05:16 pm »
After purchasing both a Emotiva MC700 and an Outlaw 976 pre-pro in the past couple years   I would like to add a couple of additional reasons to purchase  Bryston products.

1. Sound Engineering.
2. Extensive product testing. 

G E

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2021, 06:20 pm »
Reputation for excellent music making and outstanding long term value.

Gumby

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2021, 09:55 pm »
“For me: once I get Bryston, I know there isn't really a good reason to upgrade any more. And they're built like tanks and reliable.

It's that adage again where you buy cheap and pay twice (or thrice or more) - or buy good and pay once.”

This one nails it for me.  Problem now is I want a whole Bryston System.

gbaby

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2021, 01:45 pm »
Sound and Service can't be beat.

Spyman

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2021, 10:24 pm »
I bought my first Bryston products, the BDP-1 and BDA-1, after meeting James at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest one year. I was impressed with his patience in explaining things to me, so I went down to my dealer’s exhibition room a couple of floors down and ordered them right away. Since then I have been impressed with Bryston’s service and build and the fact that James continues to participate on this forum. I’ve bought several other pieces through the years to the point that almost my entire system is Bryston. Am I a fan? You bet I am!

vonnie123

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jul 2021, 05:31 am »
Well made products designed to last.  Long term customer support of vintage products. 

redskinsfan

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jul 2021, 06:57 am »
They put HDMI inputs on their DAC. How come no other company thought of that? Duh!! :thumb:

mv038856

« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2021, 03:48 pm »
Why Bryston?

For me, it was the sonic qualities of the classic 3B, the generation before the NRB, 19“ flat black font panel with handles…

I was jobbing in a HiFi store in the afternoons after school and we had a new MB-Quart 3200 S 4-way Tower speaker with a 12“ woofer in out High-End Studio. The supposedly best power amp we had in there was a T+A Pusar A3000M, which had stellar reviews from the German magazines and was rated „Absolute Spitzenklasse“, i.e. highest possible rating.
Driving the MB-Quart with the A3000M, the music sounded lifeless. I checked all the connections, as I suspected that I might had mixed up polarity. I even considered that the speakers might be broken… then I replaced the T+A with the Bryston 3B, which the representative of the German distributor had left at our disposal for testing. With the 3B in the signal chain, I hardly recognized the MB-Quart speakers anymore as there was life in the music, it was literally like night and day! The back then 2700 DM (Deutsche Mark, appr. 1350 EUR) 3B was so much more musical than the almost twice as expensive T+A power amplifier. From an engineering standpoint, the T+A was a marble, but in combination with those MB-Quart towers it did not stand a chance.

Well needless to say, that very 3B landed in my private system, powering my Sonus Faber Minima FM II. Since then, I exclusively used Bryston power amplifiers in my system. The 20 year warranty made it safe to acquire used Bryston equipment, so I was able to afford a number of them.

Long story short: Why Bryston? Sonic qualities and (back then) incredible value.

That being said, the sonic qualities of the current product lineup certainly are great. As cost and in consequence prices have gone up considerably in the past 30 years, the value question is much harder to answer. We have been at this point before in the new product discussion. 2700 DM was not cheap back then, but the accessibility of Bryston gear most probably has not improved over time. This probably is the point that Bryston need to address.

Cheers!

Markus

Edit: adjusted for inflation, the 2700 DM from the late 80s translate into appr. 2500 EUR. A 3B cubed is listed at 6827 EUR on the German distributor‘s website. Certainly, a current 3B cubed is way better and powerful than the late 80s 3B, but it is also more than 2.5 times more expensive, adjusted for inflation! That‘s the point I wanted to make.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #18 on: 2 Aug 2021, 08:14 am »

jbuzas

« Reply #19 on: 3 Aug 2021, 03:05 pm »
For me, 20 year warranty and customer service reputation.   That the amps etc sound great is a given.