GR Desktop Mini

Norman Tracy

GR Desktop Mini
« on: 24 Jun 2021, 04:13 pm »
This will certainly need a discussion thread.

Introducing the $199 "Desktop Mini! https://youtu.be/5HhYRlbGyfU

My comment is three cheers for Danny, this is how we get new generation music lovers into our HiFi hobby/passion/obsession.

Beerbellydad

Re: GR Desktop Mini
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2021, 04:36 pm »
I'm so excited for these. They're going to be a great projects to do with my children for their first DIY.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2021, 04:37 pm »
Absolutely on both counts.  :thumb:

hawkeyejw

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2021, 05:16 pm »
These look like neat little speakers. Danny mentioned the drivers coming from a buyout of AV123 stock, interestingly those drivers I believe would have been used in the Onix series speakers which at that time were marketed as a step up from the X-series. Lots of good reviews of Onix series speakers out there.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2021, 06:05 pm »
They're launching them on the site starting Monday.

We've already taken 10 orders over the phone since we started the day till lunch time.

The drivers were supposed to be for a new segment of the Onix Rocket series, but that never happened.

paolocaminiti

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2021, 06:12 pm »
Am I seeing right from the video this is a sealed design? Would be great to have a small sealed monitor on the market easy to integrate with a sub, sealed designs are so rare and just sound better to me - except OB of course :)

Are any specs available? Sensitivity, response...

Chewbacca

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2021, 06:47 pm »
Perfect speaker for getting people in the hobby! :thumb: Well done!

I'd say a bit simpler than what I'm attempting for my first DIY... a 17 piece crossover (each) :lol: Although, it's probably not much harder when you have the layout down, just takes more time for the complex ones.

Awesome work as always, Danny!! We can't let HiFi die with the older generation. Keep doing what you're doing!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2021, 07:35 pm »
Hey Danny,
Are those the drivers from the original AV123 LRS speakers in the Desktop Minis? 

Best,
Rich

JCarney

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2021, 08:27 pm »
Hey Hobbs, when we gonna see you in one of the yt vids?  :lol: :green:

JCarney

hayden

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2021, 09:18 pm »
 :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2021, 10:47 pm »
Hey Hobbs, when we gonna see you in one of the yt vids?  :lol: :green:

JCarney
Hopefully never.. LMAO :lol:

pmwoodward

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2021, 03:15 pm »
I am new to GR Research. I have been a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on ordering a kit. This makes it a no-brainer!

pmwoodward

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2021, 05:02 pm »
Danny is a big fan of 'tube connectors'. I am trying to keep this Desktop Mini project cost low, but would like to benefit from tube connectors without opting for the top of the line tube connector GR Research sells for $50. Looking less pricey alternatives online and all I am finding are very low quality ones. Actually, I cannot find anything when searching for 'tube connectors'. They seem to be listed as "Banana Plug Socket Jack Connectors'. Does anyone have any leads for for affordable, decent quality tube connectors?

Thanks!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2021, 05:08 pm »
Danny is a big fan of 'tube connectors'. I am trying to keep this Desktop Mini project cost low, but would like to benefit from tube connectors without opting for the top of the line tube connector GR Research sells for $50. Looking less pricey alternatives online and all I am finding are very low quality ones. Actually, I cannot find anything when searching for 'tube connectors'. They seem to be listed as "Banana Plug Socket Jack Connectors'. Does anyone have any leads for for affordable, decent quality tube connectors?

Thanks!

Tube Connectors are a proprietary GR Research product. I don't think there's anything else quite like it. Banana type connectors are similar and the male bananas will plug into "5 way" binding posts.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2021, 05:12 pm »

Thanks!

I wouldn’t bother with the tube connectors at this level of speaker.  But that’s my cheap side talking.  If cost is that important then just go for the binding post cup. 

Chewbacca

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2021, 05:44 pm »
I wouldn’t bother with the tube connectors at this level of speaker.  But that’s my cheap side talking.  If cost is that important then just go for the binding post cup.

Agreed... If you're willing to spend another $50 for an upgrade on a $200 speaker like that I'd start looking up the line... But then again, I have a problem with that. I went as far up as I could go with my room limitations, and maybe even too far lol. Almost definitely too far into the bank account :lol:

If I were building these speakers, I'd eliminate the posts all together. I'd figure the longest I'd ever need the speakers apart, divide that by 2, add 1'-2' for slack, then just extend the internal wiring off the crossover that length and terminate a spade on the other end. Then again... I'm not what a normal person would call sane lol. Probably why most of us are here though :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2021, 05:59 pm »
Agreed... If you're willing to spend another $50 for an upgrade on a $200 speaker like that I'd start looking up the line... But then again, I have a problem with that. I went as far up as I could go with my room limitations, and maybe even too far lol. Almost definitely too far into the bank account :lol:

If I were building these speakers, I'd eliminate the posts all together. I'd figure the longest I'd ever need the speakers apart, divide that by 2, add 1'-2' for slack, then just extend the internal wiring off the crossover that length and terminate a spade on the other end. Then again... I'm not what a normal person would call sane lol. Probably why most of us are here though :thumb:

That approach will provide the definitive connection. No connector can sound better than NO connector

hawkeyejw

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2021, 06:02 pm »

+1. I assume the standard cup binding post Danny includes is low mass and non ferrous so they’re going to be decent quality anyway. There’s always another upgrade available, so don’t feel bad going with the standard. It already has high quality components and engineering behind it.

pmwoodward

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2021, 07:58 pm »
Thanks guys! Great advice. I found these on ebay. Tempted to try them.

RonP

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2021, 08:05 pm »
WBT and Neutrik make high quality Speaker Binding Posts too. Look for the low mass ones.