An introduction

eurasian60

An introduction
« on: 18 Apr 2022, 06:12 pm »
Hello All,

I am a 62 year old audiophile just getting into the Von Schweikert world after many years with mainly British electrostats and American high efficiency loudspeakers.

I have just purchased a pair of original VR-4s with (supposedly) non working bass bins.  I am new to VSA and would love some advice about how to get these going again.  Does anyone have pictures of the original woofers and crossovers?  Are there known crossover/connection/solder joint issues?  Are there good modern substitutes for the woofers if mine are not repairable?  Mine will also need new grille cloth.  Any suggestions about how the old ones are removed? Any other suggestions or observations are most welcome.

Thanks very much in advance,
David Yost

kernelbob

Re: An introduction
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2022, 03:25 pm »
Suggest emailing or calling Von Schweikert Audio.  Email to info@vonschweikert.com or phone (951) 682-0706.  Their website is www.vonschweikert.com

eurasian60

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2022, 05:08 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion!

Is there any interest in photo documentation of my teardown and restoration?  I am happy to post photos with descriptions as I proceed.  Also happy to answer any questions for others attempting restoration of the VR-4.

The pair I bought look pretty rough.  One is all cherry while the other is cherry except for an oak top plate.  One has the lower terminal plate recessed/flush while the other is proud, as are the port tubes and mid/tweeter terminal plates. 

I will post "as-is" photos as soon as I get them to my shop.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2022, 09:56 pm »
Did you read the thread below? Call Von Schweikert before doing any disassembly, they do upgrades.

VR-4 WTB Woofers and Rear Firing Tweeter
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=174893.msg1844919#msg1844919

"I just picked up a set of VR-4 speakers in disrepair. They mostly work but have a few issues. Two woofers are damaged..."

"[Von Schweikert] recommend to replace all four which would total out to $1200..."

The thread has alternative woofer suggestions.

Plenty more reading using the Search button and typing in "VR-4"

eurasian60

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2022, 03:56 am »
Thanks for the link!  This is very helpful information, but it seems that the Dayton woofers have gone up in price a bit since then.  Still very reasonable compared to the OEM ones.  I’ll let the group know what I find inside my cabinets.

David

eurasian60

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2022, 02:25 pm »
I went ahead and ordered a set of the RS225-8 woofers while they are still available and before the price goes up!  They seem to be very well regarded in the DIY community and have very good specs.  They also seem to be made for a VR4 sized box - good news!

I will start a new thread once the restoration begins!