An Australian take on My first XLS Encore Build OCT 2020

Speaker Challenged

This is my first speaker build and I am a total newbie to this hobby. Dealing with Danny has been a pleasure.

It has been so much fun so I thought I would share some pictures and commentary. I hope you enjoy the post and let me know what you think? Improvements for future builds as I want to eventually look into a pair of NX studio monitors next year. Starting to save up now. :)
With the Oz dollar so weak against the US and international shipping I went with a standard kit. It was $471 delivered when converted to Oz dollars. I built the cabinets here as it was almost 800 Ozzie to get Peters cabinets made and delivered to Australia

So to begin the parts arrived very well packed with no damage. 1 week from Texas to Australia.

`  
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2020, 12:43 am by Speaker Challenged »

Speaker Challenged

Re: My first and second build xls encores
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2020, 07:43 am »

Let the build begin. I started at my friends wood shop and went from there. I saved on No Rez by using a Backyard Rez I used on the inside? Floor tile and acoustic foam. Thanks to Danny for the tip.

« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2020, 12:35 am by Speaker Challenged »

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2020, 07:47 am »
Cutting the backyardRez to fit and gluing and clamping the cabs.

Not happy with the tweeter fit. I used the jig saw and I couldn't get a perfect hole to router.

« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2020, 12:17 am by Speaker Challenged »

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2020, 07:59 am »
Crossovers and painting next.

Add polyfil, screw in drivers and polish..

« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2020, 11:32 pm by Speaker Challenged »

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2020, 08:05 am »
As I was unhappy with how the tweeter recesses came out I decided on 2 new front baffles. I used this drill cutter but I don't recommend these drill circle cutters unless you have a drill press large enough for it and even then really not. This contraption almost took off a finger when the drill jammed. I'll grab a router circle cutting jig in the future.

With the new baffles the tweeter fits so much better.

« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2020, 12:16 am by Speaker Challenged »

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2020, 08:11 am »
Cutting the old front baffle as I could not cut them off completely was not fun but they glued up and clamped ok.

I had to fix the clamp on the left. :)
Now for more filling, sanding, filling, sanding, filling sanding.... then painting

Satin clear coat, wet sanding and polishing the front baffles in grey to match the room. The sides and back are a mint green chalk finish with matt clear.

« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2020, 11:39 pm by Speaker Challenged »

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2020, 08:18 am »
Crossovers to go back in and screw the drivers on.

Time to fix the hidden mistakes, paint the bottom and add feet.

And the back just waiting for the tube connectors to arrive in the next few days. I can't bring myself to use the eBay terminals. To be fair they are copper except for the nut, washer and connector.

« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2020, 11:43 pm by Speaker Challenged »

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2020, 08:38 am »
Its a brave new world in my little listening room.

They sound great with vinyl, CD or streaming. Home theater with my 2 subs and these bookshelves is fantastic.
So what did I learn from this? I have had a ball building the kit but sometimes you need to think if a rebuild for the tweeter fitment only is boardering on OCD and not worth the work.
SC
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2020, 11:45 pm by Speaker Challenged »

Danny Richie

Re: An Australian take on My first XLS Encore Build OCT 2020
« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2020, 10:09 pm »
Nice work, and thanks for sharing it all.

Arctophile

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2021, 05:57 am »
Nice-looking build - the white in particular looks sharp. I really wish there were someone who could make at least front baffles affordably in Oz. Not having my own router (or woodworking skill) is the main obstacle to my building something like this.

PS I live in Melbourne and know about companies like Aranmar, but from what I've seen I can't afford their services for a one-off build.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2021, 01:16 pm »
After this build you might have to change your user name.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2021, 06:44 pm »
Those aare gorgeous!

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2021, 06:25 am »
After this build you might have to change your user name.

I had the same thought.  :thumb:

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2021, 06:25 am »

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2021, 06:25 am »
Those aare gorgeous!

Thanks Hobbs that means alot to me.  :D

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jul 2021, 06:28 am »
Nice-looking build - the white in particular looks sharp. I really wish there were someone who could make at least front baffles affordably in Oz. Not having my own router (or woodworking skill) is the main obstacle to my building something like this.

PS I live in Melbourne and know about companies like Aranmar, but from what I've seen I can't afford their services for a one-off build.

I hear you on that one. Only wished we had Peter or Mike or such here in Australia at affordable prices.

dryan01uk

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jul 2021, 10:43 am »
I hear you.

I've tried 5 or more companies here in Melbourne, asking for quotes to CNC cut cabinet pieces for my planned X-Voce and X-statik kits.  They are all too busy cutting kitchen cabinets to have time to set up for a cabinet one off.  One guy I exchanged emails with said he used to do speakers cuts for people, but he got put off because of the fussiness of the 'clients'...

Your cabinets and the finish achieved is amazing.  Did you use any clear on the paint finish?

Ah well, I'm now going to go down the DIY route myself - all the general materials are available locally, even Duratex can be had from CannonSound.  What I haven't been able to track down is a good supply of paper backed veneer as I'd like to try Peter's iron on veneer technique!

It looks like Briggs Veneers may do it, but its a special order.  I may do something different though and try this stuff from good ol' Bunnings....

I think this might work and be a bit different as well...

I figure glue up to at least 40mm thick to match 1.5" baffle design on the X-statik then router out the speaker holes over a number of passes.  I'm just playing with ideas at the moment...., although a timber / veneer front / back / pedestal and duratex woofer boxes has a lot of appeal.

D

Hollis Prince

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jul 2021, 01:23 pm »
Wow! Those look amazing! Great job!

Hollis Prince

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jul 2021, 01:25 pm »
The best circle jig I've used is by Jasper. They have a few different models to choose from. I got mine from Amazon.

Here's a picture. You should be able to see how it works.

Hollis Prince

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jul 2021, 01:29 pm »
There's a alignment tool to get it perfectly centered on your router. Hole sizes in 1/16" increments, and they are spot on. The problem I've had with other circle jigs is that it's always just a little off. So then I have to adjust, cut a trial circle, adjust, cut, etc. until I get it right. With this style jig you'll get it right the first time if you set it up properly (which is very simple and easy).