DSP vs. GIK Treatment in 12.5x17.5 Room???

gicuomo

Re: DSP vs. GIK Treatment in 12.5x17.5 Room???
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jul 2021, 01:10 pm »
I illustrate my experience. i buyed a small loki equalizer from schiit to experience my listening in a very regular living room. with the first small speakers, with little bass, it didn't help me much. with so big speakers I was able to greatly improve the listening by slightly reducing the db of the low frequencies after making preliminary and confirmation measurements with rew. in other words, I improved a lot with little expense and without bass traps.

Hipper

Re: DSP vs. GIK Treatment in 12.5x17.5 Room???
« Reply #21 on: 18 Aug 2021, 02:21 pm »
One key point that I think has been missed is that room treatment can reduce decay times and that can be as important as smoothing the frequency response.

I posted on another forum my experience following the procedure:

1. Reduce Ambient Noise.
2. Position the speakers and listening chair as best I could.
3. Add room treatments particularly to control the frequency response (mostly to tame the bass but also to control reflections) and control the decay times (resonances). Both are important but I wonder if the time domain is actually more essential.
4. Carefully use an equaliser to tidy up, mostly in the bass region.
5. Use sophisticated measuring software to determine the best solutions - Room EQ Wizard (REW).

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/share-your-in-room-measurements.13540/page-3#post-411614

See post 60. I used twenty one GIK Soffit Bass Traps!