douglesc

Albert Von Schweikert..Has passed , I am so sad
« on: 31 May 2020, 12:21 am »
Damon just reported this

SFDude

Re: Albert Von Schweikert..Has passed , I am so sad
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2020, 12:23 am »
 :cry:

RIP. His contributions will forever be remembered, especially when the VR series of speakers were at the height of their popularity in the 90s and 00s.

-dave

Delacroix

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2020, 01:40 am »
Oh that is sad news. I got to know Albert as a new owner of a pair of VR5s, and he was very supportive when we started this circle here back in the day, posting regularly and sometimes hosting a dinner for members at the RMAF where some of us would gather. I know his health was not the best in recent years but this still came out of the blue for me. I still have the 5s, updated to Anniversary II specs a couple of years back, complete with a signed letter from Albert explaining the updates. Too many thoughts right now to make much sense. My condolences to Damon and family, Leif and the team too. It's been a crap year so far.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2020, 02:10 am »
RIP

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2020, 02:50 am »
I was thinking of him just the other day, wondering how he was doing.  I hope he got to experience some joy in his retirement.  He was such a gracious gentleman and always willing and happy to help.  His contributions were many and significant and he left his mark upon the world. 

Bob Stark

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2020, 03:41 am »
Man, that is too bad,

Albert sold me a pair of his Vortex Screens in the early 1990's.  I used them until I sold them in about 2006 or 7.  We had many long talks on the phone over the years and Albert was always fired up to talk speakers and sound.  My condolences to the rest of his family and close friends.  He designed many really good speakers, both for the money, and ultimately.  He was a very kind man and passionate about the pursuit of fine sound.

Bob

Mudslide

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2020, 05:58 am »
I only spoke with Albert a couple of times, but he seemed like a really nice man with a big heart and a big love for audio.  This has indeed been a year of sadness.  RIP, Albert.

mhconley

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2020, 02:43 pm »
Very sad.

Albert reached out to me when I started building audio racks. I had been lusting after Von Schweikert speakers for years. I had never heard a pair; my lust was based upon reviews I had read and technical documents Albert had written. I responded to a white paper he posted on this site and was detailing my audio rack build around the same time. He encouraged me and I attempted to start a business building said racks. He invited me to show my racks in his rooms at the 2009 and 2010 RMAF shows. Unfortunately a number of factors led to my business never getting off the ground.

Still I developed a trust and friendship with Albert at those shows. He was a fun guy to hang out with. I finally bought a used pair of Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE four or five years ago and am amazed by them every time I sit down to listen to music.

Albert was an intelligent, kind and generous man; he will be missed. My sincere condolences to Damon and Albert's family.

Martin
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2020, 02:05 am by mhconley »

SundayNiagara

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2020, 04:14 pm »
Rest in Peace, Albert. :(

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2020, 04:46 pm »
RIP

Jean Sibelius

• The Confidence Mansion
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2020, 04:59 pm »
I just received this very sad news.

Thanks for all the great products you designed and your impressive kindness and willingness to help others.

RIP Albert.

jbr

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2020, 08:00 pm »
So saddened to hear this. The few personal interactions I had with Albert were always most enjoyable. RIP.

jmc207

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2020, 08:22 pm »
Again, so sad to hear this news. Condolences to the family. RIP, Albert. Thank you for the great speakers.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2020, 10:25 pm by jmc207 »

raddar

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2020, 08:41 pm »
Sad news.  Albert was a wonderful person and an incredibly talented speaker designer. He personally delivered my Vortex Screens(with custom finished bases) to my condo and to this day those speakers bring back great memories of my journey into high end audio and wonderful sound. Thank you Albert.

RIP Albert

underdog64

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2020, 02:16 am »
Sorry to hear about Albert’s passing.I remember talking with him over the phone before getting my VR4jrs upgraded to mark 3 status.And talking to him briefly at shows.Wish there was more people like him in the industry.And I still have and love my VR4jr  mrk  3 speakers!

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jun 2020, 03:12 am »
I'm very sorry to hear that, he was always a great supporter of AudioCircle. My condolences to his family.

Jstower

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jun 2020, 04:32 am »
Very sorry,  Albert will greatly be missed in the audio industry.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #17 on: 2 Jun 2020, 03:52 pm »
..Damon posted this on his Facebook page:

It’s with deep regret that I share with all of you the passing of my father, Albert von Schweikert.  He was dealing with a number of health related issues for the last few months but I can tell you with complete certainty that it never got him down.  Even when we were separated by mandatory hospital quarantines from the outside world, he was always cheerful and happy on the phone.  And when his time eventually came, it was swift and painless.

To say my father was my hero, role model, source of inspiration, knowledge and wisdom would be trite.  He was all of those things and so much more to me and my family.  So instead of going down that path, I’d like to share a very small but personal story that may give insight into how he touched my life in a very deep and meaningful way.

I was five years old when my dad gave me my first real chore.  This wasn’t like picking up my toys or cleaning my room; he wanted me to help him with yard work.  To me, this was real grown up stuff and to be frank I was very unsure about it.  But he showed no concern and confidently led me outside.

We had this rubber tree that was taller than the roof of our house in Whittier California in 1975 which was impressive to a boy of my size even though our house was only one-story tall.  I remember that you had to walk into the tree to get under the canopy but once inside there was a lot of room to move around.  That said, the fallen leaves covered the ground and came up to my knees which again would only be impressive to a small child.  He gave me a trash bag, asked me to pickup all the leaves and abruptly left me there alone.  I spent a few minutes looking at all the leaves and realizing this job was way beyond my ability; I was utterly overwhelmed.  I ran to my dad crying.  He was concerned and asked what was wrong, I’m sure he was thinking I somehow hurt myself or was stung by a bee which wasn’t uncommon back when we had so many orange groves in So-Cal.  But I told him the job was way too big for me, it simply wasn’t possible for me to take on such a big task.

What I remember most about that moment is how patient he was with me; he simply didn’t have the impatient urge to  scolded me or raise his voice in frustration.  If he did, he didn’t show it.  He simply guided me back under the canopy and asked me to pick up one leaf.  Once I did, he instructed me to put it in the bag which I did.  He stayed there coaching me long enough until I could see the ground under my feet.  Then he said, “See Damon, it’s just that simple.  Don’t look at all the work ahead, only focus on picking up each leaf and putting it in the bag.”

Clearly for me, this was a profound and life altering epiphany.  Needless to say I knocked that job out quickly and was eager to take on harder stuff.  Within a year I was helping him in the garage by grabbing sheets of wood off the backside of a table saw as my dad made his first test cabinets.

Whether he intended the life lesson or simply wanted some help working in the yard, he set me on a path that day of taking on hard tasks, not giving up and knowing that with enough perseverance, you can accomplish difficult but meaningful things.

This was a very small facet of my father and I assure you he was a very complex person.  Yes he was a musician and an engineer, but he was also a poet, a painter, a song writer, a good friend, an amazing father, a dutiful son, caring brother and a loving husband.  He drank deeply from the cup of life and I was lucky enough to be present through most of it.

Our family chooses to remember his life with happiness, laughter and joy because that was how we lived it with him.  If you’re still reading this post, thank you.  That means a great deal to me.  And if you would like to participate in a small celebration of his life here in this post, I ask you to share a memory of him, a picture, a story or even a photo of a system you owned with a pair of his speakers in it.  Whatever you like, it would mean a great deal to our family.  Thank you all and God bless.

gme109

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jun 2020, 04:33 am »
Thank you Albert,  your speakers have brought a great deal of pleasure to my life.

RIP

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jun 2020, 10:16 am »
In memory of Albert von Schweikert, a history of almost 25 years.

As a distributor for many years promoting Albert's speaker in Europe I collected a large amount of pictures presenting his work over the past decades.
Music is by guitar-player Al de Meola.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h_FKCFMQEg&t=9s

Best from Holland, Cor