Question about longevity of driver

Tom Bombadil

Question about longevity of driver
« on: 27 Jun 2019, 02:48 am »
I have read, in two forums, that the midrange aerogel driver used in the original VR-7 is subject to age deterioration.   That if it is 15+ years old then it may be well out of original spec.  I have no first hand knowledge of this.  Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this.

Delacroix

Re: Question about longevity of driver
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2019, 03:37 pm »
I've no experience of the Vr-7 but might be worth sending an email to VSA to see what they say. I do suspect there's stuff you can upgrade on the 7s if so inclined but it would be nice to know the general lifespan of these and similar drivers for those of us with speakers that are more than a couple of years old.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2019, 04:02 pm »
I have searched around the web and cannot find anything on Audax aerogel driver degradation.   Mine seem fine.  But these two posts said it happened and that it was "well known." 

Delacroix

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2019, 04:23 pm »
Tom -- not aware of that myself. I only ever read good things about these drivers. I know there's a lot of opinions out there but claims for a problem being 'well-known' are easy to make but harder to substantiate it would appear.  Of course, everything in nature is subject to age so in some sense, the claims must be true but.......

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2019, 05:30 pm »
Hi Tom,
  I built a pair of small monitors in 1990 using the Audex Europa 8 co-ax driver. It has a foam rubber surround around the woofer. I've used them constantly with no problems. Most other speakers I've seen with foam surrounds don't last that long. My Grado earphone pads, SR-80, didn't even last 2 years and I hardly ever used them.
    Look at the Dynaco A-25 and family. The drivers were Seas and earlier Scan-Speak. They used rubber surrounds and seem to still be around in large numbers. I would like to know what kind of foam rubber and what kind of glue was used on those drivers. If they are made in China now, not France, Norway or Denmark I would like to know.....Mark Korda

Bob Martin

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2019, 05:18 pm »
I just replaced the 10" Audax woofers on my VR-8s due to the foam surrounds failing. But, I have no idea how old the speakers are.

Bob

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2019, 03:28 am »
I cannot tell if the foam surrounds of my midrange Audax driver are foam or rubber.  Can't take off the sock cover to inspect.  When using a strong flashlight to shine through the fabric and using reading glasses to look up close, it does kinda look like foam, but can't tell for sure.  I don't see any signs of damage.  I've had drivers in the past with rotting surrounds, to the point of where the foam surround totally disintegrated. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2019, 05:45 am »
Accordion and hi dope fabric may last decades, I have some Full Ranges from 2003 that looks like new.

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2019, 03:43 pm »
I cannot tell if the foam surrounds of my midrange Audax driver are foam or rubber.  Can't take off the sock cover to inspect.  When using a strong flashlight to shine through the fabric and using reading glasses to look up close, it does kinda look like foam, but can't tell for sure.  I don't see any signs of damage.  I've had drivers in the past with rotting surrounds, to the point of where the foam surround totally disintegrated.
Hi Tom,
The Audax drivers you have have a special coating on the surrounds and should last a very long time.  If the speakers are subject to high humidity the lifespan can be greatly reduced.