Capital Audio Fest

htradtk

Capital Audio Fest
« on: 30 Oct 2017, 11:21 pm »
Just curious if any fellow circulars are attending the Capital Audio Fest this weekend at the Rockville Hilton? I'll be there on Saturday! As an owner of the VR-5 Anniversary MKII's, I'm so thrilled to finally meet the VSA team who are behind these wonderful speakers! Even though the ULTRA 11's are way out of my league, can't wait to give them a listen. See you soon Damon and Leif!

Henry

Delacroix

Re: Capital Audio Fest
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2017, 11:24 pm »
Sadly not me -- RMAF was my major audio trip this year, staying local for other stuff now that the Texas area is more active.  Have fun, and send pics if you can....

htradtk

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2017, 12:28 am »
I attended the Capital Audio Fest yesterday, great show indeed, but I saved the best room for last: The VAC/Von Schweikert Audio room. The room was huge, about 60 X 40 feet! As I entered, both Leif and Damon introduced themselves, first class gentlemen indeed! Finally great to meet them. They told me to go to the sweet spot, lol. Right in front of me sat four, yes four VAC amps in between the ULTRA 11's. Leif ask me what to put on, I said: How about Dire Straits. He queued up Brothers in Arms from the self titled album. What an experience! Could not believe what I was hearing, everything sounded so lifelike! Instrumentation was well defined and airy. Bass was tight and solid. Then a bit later he put on the Royal Ballet. I thought I was sitting right in front of an orchestra! That system was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! something I'll remember for a long time! Thank you Damon and Leif, hope you come back next year!

Henry

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2017, 03:11 pm »
Henry, you're a smart man by saving the BEST for last.  I have the habit of immediately making a B-line for the VSA Room at these shows to see the guys and setup.  It makes for a jaded view/comparison over the next couple of days while visiting the other rooms in attendance.  I'll try your strategy next time.  But I can't guarantee I'll follow it!  Maybe we should just have a show at the VSA facility in SoCal every year and dispense with all the hoopla!  hahaha....

Jack

htradtk

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2017, 12:37 am »
Love your idea Jack! Still can't believe that room! I'm hoping they come next year, if so, I plan to get a room and stay for the after party!

Henry

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2017, 01:31 am »

BigSwede

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2017, 02:12 pm »
https://youtu.be/1buHxXrZku4  :thumb:
Sounded great over my computer speakers!  :lol:

I would like to hear that system just once...

SundayNiagara

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2017, 04:03 pm »
Too many hi fi shows. PERIOD! :(

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2017, 09:13 pm »

..what’s the appropriate number IYO?

dpatters

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2017, 10:29 pm »
What? We need more shows. With the lack of dealers its the only way for people to hear what's out there.

I live in Central PA and am grateful for venues like this that are at least drive-able from where I live.

On another note, it was in my opinion a privilege to hear the breathtaking music coming from this room. I have been in this hobby for over forty years and i have never heard any system that comes even close to what i heard on Saturday.

Don P.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 9 Nov 2017, 02:40 am »
What? We need more shows. With the lack of dealers its the only way for people to hear what's out there.

I live in Central PA and am grateful for venues like this that are at least drive-able from where I live.

On another note, it was in my opinion a privilege to hear the breathtaking music coming from this room. I have been in this hobby for over forty years and i have never heard any system that comes even close to what i heard on Saturday.

Don P.

..nearly 50 yrs here and I agree Don...the VSA system albeit close to $1MM sets a new gold std

SundayNiagara

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2017, 02:53 pm »
..what’s the appropriate number IYO?

Just try to imagine shipping costs?

kernelbob

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov 2017, 05:02 pm »
To steal a line from Jaws... "You're going to need a bigger boat".

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2017, 09:00 pm »
Just try to imagine shipping costs?

..sorry but I’m not following here

SundayNiagara

« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2017, 02:18 pm »
..sorry but I’m not following here

Just look at the VSA room.

htradtk

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2017, 04:06 pm »
 I'm with Don on this one! That was the most amazing system I have yet heard PERIOD! Don't care how much it cost. They say that us audiophiles try our hardest to get our systems sounding like a live performance. Well, this system was so much like a live performance. When Leif put on the Royal Ballet, the sound was so beautiful I had tears in my eyes!

Henry

dpatters

« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2017, 07:37 pm »
Sandy and I thought the three plus hour drive and an overnight in the hotel was totally worth the time spent in this room. The rest of the show was icing on the cake and what great icing it was.  I've been to RMAF but I really enjoyed the more intimate atmosphere at CAF!!

My beloved VR4jrs in my secondary system. Even though I rarely listen I just couldn't bring myself to sell them.

Don P.

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2017, 10:54 pm »
Hi guys.....

Thank you for the kind words and it was so good to finally meet some of you.  Damon and I had a blast at this show and will be in the same room next year.

All the best

Leif

htradtk

« Reply #18 on: 12 Nov 2017, 11:11 pm »
Leif,

Really great to hear that you are set for the 2018 CAF!! So glad Gary Gill decided to move the show from July to the Fall, many more rooms to see this year, especially the VAC/VSA room! Again, it was great meeting you and Damon! Next year, I hope to stay for the after party.

Take care, Henry