UNIFIELD 3 MkII or ENDEAVOR E-3 MkII vs VR-5 HSE Hovland Special Edition

Audiophile

Hi all,

Like the title says.  :)

I current own the VR-5 HSE Hovland Special Edition and really love the speakers. They have given me many hours of music enjoyment. As with most of us we always feel the need for an upgrade. I was wondering how they compare to the new ENDEAVOR E-3 MkII or at the other end of the spectrum the UNIFIELD 3 MkII?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2016, 06:46 pm by Audiophile »

Audiophile

Anyone??

Over 100 views and no replies??

BigSwede

I'm happy to reply, but since I haven't heard any of your three choices...

Audiophile

I'm happy to reply, but since I haven't heard any of your three choices...

Thanks Big Swede! At lease a got a little love!  :D :D

ctsooner

Just noticed this thread.  I've heard the EA's and the VS's.  Personally I went with Vandersteen Treo's (selling them to upgrade to the Quatro's).  The Treo's have much more resolution than the other two and to me, in my system are much more musical.  I heard smearing in the EA's that ruined the resolution for me.  The VS's were nice and also had dynamics, but they didn't have the micro and macro detail the Treo's have.  I am only talking about the ceramic dome Treo's.  The CT's are even smoother with more detail.  I think both are in your price range. I would at least go audition the Vandersteen's before making a decision.  This price range has a LOT of serious competition.  For me, there are only a few speakers I could live with.  Another option are the newer Proac ribbon speakers.  If you are a ribbon person and match the electronics properly, you can get great sound, just different from the Vandersteens.  I think right now, those two are my favorites in this range.  JMHO. 

Audiophile

Just noticed this thread.  I've heard the EA's and the VS's.  Personally I went with Vandersteen Treo's (selling them to upgrade to the Quatro's).  The Treo's have much more resolution than the other two and to me, in my system are much more musical.  I heard smearing in the EA's that ruined the resolution for me.  The VS's were nice and also had dynamics, but they didn't have the micro and macro detail the Treo's have.  I am only talking about the ceramic dome Treo's.  The CT's are even smoother with more detail.  I think both are in your price range. I would at least go audition the Vandersteen's before making a decision.  This price range has a LOT of serious competition.  For me, there are only a few speakers I could live with.  Another option are the newer Proac ribbon speakers.  If you are a ribbon person and match the electronics properly, you can get great sound, just different from the Vandersteens.  I think right now, those two are my favorites in this range.  JMHO.

Thanks ctsooner! I'll add the Vandersteen's to my short list.   :)

danabunner

Hi all,

Like the title says.  :)

I current own the VR-5 HSE Hovland Special Edition and really love the speakers. They have given me many hours of music enjoyment. As with most of us we always feel the need for an upgrade.
Thanks

I have the original VR-4, which was upgraded with the VR-5/7 package.  So something close to your VR-5 HSE.  Love them.  Have been using the upgraded speakers for something close to 16 years now.  Have listened to many, many speakers along the way but in the end, have resisted changing to anything else.   Came close a few times, but decided that I do really love how these sound, have never been bowed over by anything else that would cost me less than $10,000 to make the move (cost of new speakers minus what I would get by selling mine).  If dropping $10K to $15K was easy for me, then maybe I'd consider it.

Audiophile

I have the original VR-4, which was upgraded with the VR-5/7 package.  So something close to your VR-5 HSE.  Love them.  Have been using the upgraded speakers for something close to 16 years now.  Have listened to many, many speakers along the way but in the end, have resisted changing to anything else.   Came close a few times, but decided that I do really love how these sound, have never been bowed over by anything else that would cost me less than $10,000 to make the move (cost of new speakers minus what I would get by selling mine).  If dropping $10K to $15K was easy for me, then maybe I'd consider it.

Thanks for the response. Since getting the McIntosh MC452 amp it really makes the VS VR-5 shine. It's hard to let go.

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Thanks for the response. Since getting the McIntosh MC452 amp it really makes the VS VR-5 shine. It's hard to let go.

Sorry for the delayed response.  I've been enjoying this time off for the holidays lol.

You should audition the Vandersteen as well as the Endeavor E-3MkII.  I would like to know where ctsooner got to hear the E-3's.  That speaker DOES NOT HAVE SMEARING.  Not to mention how many show awards it has received.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2017-buyers-guide-floorstanding-loudspeakers-5000-10000/

E-3's makes top five systems.  The Treo's were at that show as well.
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/axpona-2014-loudspeakers-and-electronics-under-15k/

This one was awarded "best sound for the money" by The Absolute Sound magazine
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/axpona-2016-electronics-20k-and-under/

As for the VR-5HSE..........that's a great speaker.  I highly recommend you have a listen to the E-3MkII before purchasing another set of speakers.

Happy Holidays

Audiophile

Sorry for the delayed response.  I've been enjoying this time off for the holidays lol.

You should audition the Vandersteen as well as the Endeavor E-3MkII.  I would like to know where ctsooner got to hear the E-3's.  That speaker DOES NOT HAVE SMEARING.  Not to mention how many show awards it has received.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2017-buyers-guide-floorstanding-loudspeakers-5000-10000/

E-3's makes top five systems.  The Treo's were at that show as well.
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/axpona-2014-loudspeakers-and-electronics-under-15k/

This one was awarded "best sound for the money" by The Absolute Sound magazine
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/axpona-2016-electronics-20k-and-under/

As for the VR-5HSE..........that's a great speaker.  I highly recommend you have a listen to the E-3MkII before purchasing another set of speakers.

Happy Holidays

Thank you Leif8660! Lots of good info. So many speakers so little time.  :D

I see the Salk Soundscape 8 was also mentioned in the 2014 link. It's also on my short list that keeps growing.
As well as below.

Focal Sopra 2
Dynaudio Contour 60
B&W 803
Salk Soundscape 8
Endeavor E3 MKII

danabunner

About 6 months ago I went through an exercise wherein I listened to my 5 favorite demo songs through my VS VR-5/7, then immediately went to my local high end retailer where I listened to all 5 through B&W 803 D3 and then Sonus Faber Olympica III.  I came straight home and listened to them again.

All three speakers are excellent.  They had different strengths and no real weaknesses, but areas where they were merely good.  I would be very happy with any of them. 

Which did I like best?  By a narrow margin, I favored my Von Schweikerts.  Perhaps this is out of a personal bias or familiarity. But if I could trade my VS even up for either the B&W or Sonus Faber, I wouldn't do it. 

PS  The dealer's listening room was set up very well and he used better electronics than what I have.  His amp, preamp and CD player listed at over $20K combined.   It is from such comparisons that I think I may have my VS speakers for life.  There is no way I could "upgrade" to the B&W 803 D3 for $10K (price of B&W minus sale of my VS).  And yet, from my own personal experience, I think this would be a downgrade in overall sound quality.  And while I really loved vocals from the SF Olympica III, just beautiful, and I've seen used ones going in the $8K-$9K range and been tempted by that, I'm not sure what I would do with them once I got them home.  As overall, and for most music, I prefer what I have.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2016, 04:37 pm by danabunner »

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
..I suppose I should jump in and reinforce what danaburner says regarding VSA speakers.  I've owned a pr of VR5 Anniversary Mk 1.5s (the only difference between mine and Mk2s is the internal wiring..mine being Analysis Plus)...driven by MC601s for about 8 yrs.  Like any true nutcase audiophile I've been under the allure of the upgrade siren song but in the end I've always decided to stay put.  I've listened to many of the big boy speakers driven by nosebleed electronics and have yet to hear anything that betters what I have here at home.  Am I a VSA fanboy?  You bet I am and have no intention of falling off the wagon  :lol:

Stercom

The VS HSE VR-5 and VR-7 HSE are special speakers.  If can find a pair, use them with the best equipment you can afford, let them settle-in for at least 50 hours and enjoy!!

Audiophile

About 6 months ago I went through an exercise wherein I listened to my 5 favorite demo songs through my VS VR-5/7, then immediately went to my local high end retailer where I listened to all 5 through B&W 803 D3 and then Sonus Faber Olympica III.  I came straight home and listened to them again.

All three speakers are excellent.  They had different strengths and no real weaknesses, but areas where they were merely good.  I would be very happy with any of them. 

Which did I like best?  By a narrow margin, I favored my Von Schweikerts.  Perhaps this is out of a personal bias or familiarity. But if I could trade my VS even up for either the B&W or Sonus Faber, I wouldn't do it. 

PS  The dealer's listening room was set up very well and he used better electronics than what I have.  His amp, preamp and CD player listed at over $20K combined.   It is from such comparisons that I think I may have my VS speakers for life.  There is no way I could "upgrade" to the B&W 803 D3 for $10K (price of B&W minus sale of my VS).  And yet, from my own personal experience, I think this would be a downgrade in overall sound quality.  And while I really loved vocals from the SF Olympica III, just beautiful, and I've seen used ones going in the $8K-$9K range and been tempted by that, I'm not sure what I would do with them once I got them home.  As overall, and for most music, I prefer what I have.

Thanks danabunner. So glad to hear you preferred you VS over the B&W 803 D3. The B&W's were on my short list. I'm in full agreement to not spend $10K and HT get a whole lot better.

Audiophile

..I suppose I should jump in and reinforce what danaburner says regarding VSA speakers.  I've owned a pr of VR5 Anniversary Mk 1.5s (the only difference between mine and Mk2s is the internal wiring..mine being Analysis Plus)...driven by MC601s for about 8 yrs.  Like any true nutcase audiophile I've been under the allure of the upgrade siren song but in the end I've always decided to stay put.  I've listened to many of the big boy speakers driven by nosebleed electronics and have yet to hear anything that betters what I have here at home.  Am I a VSA fanboy?  You bet I am and have no intention of falling off the wagon  :lol:

Audio nervousa is in all of us. After a certain amount of time owning any piece of equipment we always feel the need to upgrade.

I have the McIntosh MC452 which has the same sound signature as your 601's. Ever since getting the MC452 my VR-5's sound awesome. I just might strap myself in so I don't fall of the wagon either.  :green:

Audiophile

The VS HSE VR-5 and VR-7 HSE are special speakers.  If can find a pair, use them with the best equipment you can afford, let them settle-in for at least 50 hours and enjoy!!

Hi Stercom,

I already own the VSA VR-5 HSE and drive them with a McIntosh MC452 amp. The sound to me is pure magic. I have the VR-5's for about 11 or 12 years and was thinking about an upgrade.

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Hi Stercom,

I already own the VSA VR-5 HSE and drive them with a McIntosh MC452 amp. The sound to me is pure magic. I have the VR-5's for about 11 or 12 years and was thinking about an upgrade.

Maybe we should design a MOD for the VR-5HSE.  New crossovers, Signature internal wiring, and the options are endless lol

Audiophile

Maybe we should design a MOD for the VR-5HSE.  New crossovers, Signature internal wiring, and the options are endless lol

I like the idea! Especially an updated crossover with the latest and greatest parts.
Maybe Albert can weigh in on the subject.  :green:

Stercom

I think and hope he was kidding.  :D

Audiophile

I think and hope he was kidding.  :D

Maybe but I still like the idea.  :green: