ST-10 Reference LE class stereo amp

John Casler

Re: ST-10 Reference LE class stereo amp
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jul 2015, 03:30 am »
How will it handle ML CLSIIz?

While I haven't heard it with those speakers, as long as you are not attempting "concert hall" crescendos in a large room, you should be MORE than good.

I did use the IDA-16 (200wpc) with some larger speakers (VMPS RM40s) full range, and it had PLENTY of headroom.

mv

« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2015, 02:37 am »
For those who have the ST-10:

When you connect speakers to it, and teh ST-10 is on, but you are not playing music,
is there a hiss from the speakers?

(Or are they completely quiet?)

John Casler

« Reply #22 on: 23 Aug 2015, 06:18 pm »

When you connect speakers to it, and teh ST-10 is on, but you are not playing music,

Quoted specs would show a very quiet amp

Signal to Noise Ratio: 110dB at 1W, 10W, 100W

So if noise is present it would likely be from the input side.

agdev01

« Reply #23 on: 24 Aug 2015, 02:38 am »

Right now my ST-10 is hooked up directly to an Dragonfly Dac plugged into a laptop.  Just hit stop on my music playing and walked over to the speakers.  Didn't hear any noise until i pressed my ear up to the speaker grill and even then it was a very feint humming.  It pretty quite.   

ricardojoa

« Reply #24 on: 24 Aug 2015, 04:37 am »
A high gain amp can cause this hiss noise. My st100 had that problem. When i switched to parasoound halo which has adjustable gain control and it help attenuating the hiss.

dr.sah

« Reply #25 on: 24 Aug 2015, 05:33 am »
disconect USB device, if you have it. If it is that, than you have ground problem with hum, I had it on IDA-16 with my NUC. Solve it with iFi iUsb power.

Nidri17

« Reply #26 on: 15 Nov 2015, 03:04 am »

I have an ST-10 on loan and I'm really enjoying it.
Was just wondering, is it normal for this amp to get quite hot to the touch?
I know that many amps are designed to run this way, but I thought that because of the 85% efficiency of the design it wouldn't get too hot.
Anyway, this doesn't bother me, still 99% sure I'll be keeping it.
Just wondering if this is normal operating behaviour.

bh46118

« Reply #27 on: 15 Nov 2015, 03:25 am »
When I run my IDA-16 at moderate volume it just barely gets warm. How loud do you play your music, how efficient are your speakers ?

I know that many amps are designed to run this way, but I thought that because of the 85% efficiency of the design it wouldn't get too hot.

Nidri17

« Reply #28 on: 15 Nov 2015, 06:01 am »
When I run my IDA-16 at moderate volume it just barely gets warm. How loud do you play your music, how efficient are your speakers ?

Speakers are 86dB. (Q Concept 20, standmounted)
I don't listen at high volume.
Outside temp approx. 25 deg. Centigrade.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #29 on: 15 Nov 2015, 09:56 am »

Hi, Nidri17,

My amp is a different unit, but this may help. I've had my IDA-8 for about 6 weeks now. When it first arrived, I was shocked at how hot it ran - especially toward the back half. I emailed both Jason and John worried that there was something wrong with my amp. It was so hot I wondered if I could fry an egg on it. They assured me this was normal and that the best way to disperse heat was this way. Relying on air and grills to cool amps is less efficient. The air temp at that time was right around 30 to 32 degrees Celsius.

Now air temps are in the low to mid-20s and the amp doesn't feel as hot. I'm actually looking forward to the winter temps here (13 to 18), so my amp can warm up my living room a degree or two.

Man, I wish I had a buddy who would lend me an ST-10 for a week or two. I'm green with envy!  :green:

maty

« Reply #30 on: 15 Nov 2015, 11:45 am »
-> http://www.hifitest.de/test/da-wandler/nuprime_dac-10h-nuprime_st-10_11088

NuPrime ST-10 inside

With RFI/EMI filter (metal box).

By the way, green circles for what?

maty

« Reply #31 on: 15 Nov 2015, 11:48 am »
More than 300 watts creates the final stage before the THD on the 0.7 % threshold at 4 Ohms. And almost 225 watts at 8 Ohms with the 0.7 % THD too.

pewe

« Reply #32 on: 9 Dec 2015, 01:35 pm »
I have the Nuforce Ref- 9 V2 monoblocks combined with a Nuforce P8 preamp. I really like this combo in many ways. Good recording sounds amazing and their ability to drive my Mark&Daniel Maxiumus Monitors are good. But I think one of the biggest drawbacks with the Nuforce-technology is that less than perfect material sound flat, lean and a bit boring. I don't know if that is a something that all better amplifiers struggle with?

Perhaps a more forgiving amplifier or preamplifier would sweeten the sound? And I suppose the Nuprime ST-10 also have a tendency to sound slightly flat and lean when the material is less than perfect, for instance Spotify premium which I listen a lot to? I'm speculating of course but I assume that Nuprime sound is very similar with the Nuforce Ref. 9- sound. I'm thinking about replacing everything with the DAC10/ST10 but perhaps that is the wrong way as the result will be very similar. Perhaps a better way is to keep the Ref. 9's and replace the preamp with a preamplifier with tubes?

My dilemma is that I have to have an amplifier that have the ability to drive the Mark&Daniels and in that regard I think Nuforce/nuprime does a great job.

rustydoglim

« Reply #33 on: 14 Dec 2015, 02:23 pm »
The NuPrime amps are all different from previous NuForce amps in designed.
Having said that, I would say that we still think the sound signature of the 9V2 is one of the best. I think you should pair the 9V2 with NuPrime DAC-9 instead (just released).  9V2 and DAC-10 might be too clean.  DAC-9 uses the new AKM AK4490 DAC chip which has warmer sound than ESS9018. That should fix your "Spotify" streaming sound problem.

I think changing 9V2 to ST-10 is only a "side-way move"

gammajo

« Reply #34 on: 14 Dec 2015, 03:18 pm »
Pewe
Just to confirm that the tubed pre-amp option can work really well, I am using an Ayon Preamp with Ref 20 and my friend a Dude preamp with Ref9V2 and we are both highly satisfied with warmth, liquidity, and no thinness.

pewe

« Reply #35 on: 17 Dec 2015, 05:05 pm »
Thank you for very good answers, appreciate the honesty about the DAC10 might be wrong. I'm going to try the DAC9, sounds like a good option.  :)

drmatt

« Reply #36 on: 29 May 2021, 08:58 pm »
Would it be considered an upgrade, moving from a nuprime st 10 to a nuforce ref 9 v3?
I use a parasound p6 preamp, using xlr
I use a variety of speakers kef ls 50,b&w cm9, pioneer sa7
A bit more of headroom would be nice but I really like the tones of the st 10

John Casler

« Reply #37 on: 31 May 2021, 06:00 pm »
Would it be considered an upgrade, moving from a nuprime st 10 to a nuforce ref 9 v3?
I use a parasound p6 preamp, using xlr
I use a variety of speakers kef ls 50,b&w cm9, pioneer sa7
A bit more of headroom would be nice but I really like the tones of the st 10

Sonically the ST-10 is an improvement over the NuFORCE.  It is improved in many ways, including a higher carrier frequency, and a more stable circuitry.

I might suggest with your goal of headroom, you consider going with a pair ST10m (monoblocs)

You should be able to negotiate with your dealer to take your current ST10 in on trade and get the pair.

Are you in the US or Canada?

drmatt

« Reply #38 on: 1 Jun 2021, 06:57 pm »
Thanks for the informative reply, Unfortunately I am based in Bahrain and cannot trade in to upgrade
The St10 M, makes perfect sense

rustydoglim

« Reply #39 on: 9 Jun 2021, 01:51 am »
Thanks for the informative reply, Unfortunately I am based in Bahrain and cannot trade in to upgrade
The St10 M, makes perfect sense

Contact sales@nuprimeaudio.com directly.