PIA Audio’s Gizmo: Enhanced Musicality – WOW!

Phil

PIA Audio’s Gizmo: Enhanced Musicality – WOW!
« on: 29 Jan 2011, 09:57 pm »
In short, the Gizmo reduces noise and enhances musicality.  I’ve been listening to LOTS of music lately.  Analytically speaking, the Gizmo:  increases truth of timbre; adds “air,” especially in the HF; extends the bass; provides more truthful mid-frequencies, adds body/density.  I love this thing!

What is it?  Kinda like a Majik (slightly smaller) with a built-in power cord.  As for the internals, Dave will have to explain.

The longer story:
When system upgrades revealed grit in the high frequencies, a PIA Audio Majik solved the problem.  In my system, the best integration of the Majik was powering the amp from its own dedicated circuit.  The source is powered by an equi=tech (balanced power) from its own dedicated circuit.  All variations were tested to come to this conclusion -- audio nervosa was fully engaged!

But the solution was temporary.  My collection of noise killers also included a very nice parallel filter.  The only downside of this filter is the time it requires to settle in after a power failure.  During the summer months, there were many black out and brown outs.  I spent the summer waiting for the filter to settle in. 

Enter the Gizmo.

I pulled all the parallel filters in my system.  It was obvious that the sound wasn’t what it had been.  So, I did what any reasonable person would do – email Dave to explain and ask for a solution.  That is right, I was able to communicate directly with a master of noise reduction who then built a solution! 

Current setup:

Two dedicated circuits are used – one for the source and one for the amp.  The Majik powers the amp and the linear power supply for the Touch.  The Gizmo is plugged into the equi=tech; the source is plugged into the Gizmo.

Great stuff!    :thumb:     Back to the music….. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: PIA Audio’s Gizmo: Enhanced Musicality – WOW!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2011, 10:14 pm »
Sounds like the Gizmo is rated for individual components and not systems. You don't have any rating information available on this conditioner do you? What does it have for terminations? Any chance of a picture? Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

Phil

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2011, 10:24 pm »
Robin,

Dave gave me an option of one or two duplex receptacles. Mine has one since the intention was to power the source only.  From our first discussions, the Gizmo was to be used between the source and the equi=tech.  As we both know, Dave's stuff works very well with balanced power. 

Not sure of rating.  Dave will have to chime in. 

No pictures for now.  The poor thing is wedged in between equipment.  But it looks just like a Majik with the duplex on one end and the power cord on the other.  Approximate dimensions:  10.5 L   X 5 W   X 4 H

Phil

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2011, 11:58 pm »
Another secret product.   :scratch:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:27 am »
Robin,

Dave gave me an option of one or two duplex receptacles. Mine has one since the intention was to power the source only.  From our first discussions, the Gizmo was to be used between the source and the equi=tech.  As we both know, Dave's stuff works very well with balanced power. 

Not sure of rating.  Dave will have to chime in. 

No pictures for now.  The poor thing is wedged in between equipment.  But it looks just like a Majik with the duplex on one end and the power cord on the other.  Approximate dimensions:  10.5 L   X 5 W   X 4 H

Phil

Sounds like another one of Dave's custom 1-off conditioners, custom made for the discriminate audiophile's personal system needs. What that guy won't do to keep his pep's happy.  :notworthy:

Thanks for sharing Phil.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2011, 01:20 am »
Another secret product.   :scratch:
Nope, not a secret - just a purpose built solution to one man's problems with his system.

What I built for Phil is a dedicated filter for a digital source.  It was designed for a specific application.  Kinda like your stuff   :thumb:

I really enjoy working on specific projects.  I am working on one right now for an AC regular that will ship next week.  It is gonna be way cool.  It is up to him to break to topic. 

I love this stuff.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2011, 01:24 am »
In short, the Gizmo reduces noise and enhances musicality.  I’ve been listening to LOTS of music lately.  Analytically speaking, the Gizmo:  increases truth of timbre; adds “air,” especially in the HF; extends the bass; provides more truthful mid-frequencies, adds body/density.  I love this thing!

What is it?  Kinda like a Majik (slightly smaller) with a built-in power cord.  As for the internals, Dave will have to explain.

The longer story:
When system upgrades revealed grit in the high frequencies, a PIA Audio Majik solved the problem.  In my system, the best integration of the Majik was powering the amp from its own dedicated circuit.  The source is powered by an equi=tech (balanced power) from its own dedicated circuit.  All variations were tested to come to this conclusion -- audio nervosa was fully engaged!

But the solution was temporary.  My collection of noise killers also included a very nice parallel filter.  The only downside of this filter is the time it requires to settle in after a power failure.  During the summer months, there were many black out and brown outs.  I spent the summer waiting for the filter to settle in. 

Enter the Gizmo.

I pulled all the parallel filters in my system.  It was obvious that the sound wasn’t what it had been.  So, I did what any reasonable person would do – email Dave to explain and ask for a solution.  That is right, I was able to communicate directly with a master of noise reduction who then built a solution! 

Current setup:

Two dedicated circuits are used – one for the source and one for the amp.  The Majik powers the amp and the linear power supply for the Touch.  The Gizmo is plugged into the equi=tech; the source is plugged into the Gizmo.

Great stuff!    :thumb:     Back to the music…..
Phil, I'm glad that you like the Gizmo.  I like to be able to target an issue and find a fix.  Enjoy.  We'll do the other bit on it later.........   8)

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2011, 01:02 pm »
What about some pictures?  What's really different about it compared to a Majik?

Phil

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2011, 05:08 pm »
For the un-initiated, I should have added that Dave's filters:

-- Don't hype frequencies to artificially add dynamics (but, if your system is dynamic, that is what you will hear).

-- Don't homogenize the sound.  Homogenized can sound good, but ultimately doesn't deliver natural timbre of the instruments IMHO.

Phil

arthurs

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2011, 12:00 am »
I really enjoy working on specific projects.  I am working on one right now for an AC regular that will ship next week.  It is gonna be way cool.  It is up to him to break to topic. 

More to come.....   8)

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2011, 12:03 am »
More to come.....   8)

Sweeeeet.  :green:

mojave

« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2011, 10:19 pm »
About every company I buy something from has a product called "Gizmo"! Chase Home Theater had a Gizmo amplifier (I own 2). J. River Media Center has an Android app called Gizmo. I recently purchased a PI Audio power cable. Now they have a Gizmo! Now when I say, "I think I'll play around with my Gizmo" no one really knows what I am talking about.  :green: