DIY Blues

pis99

DIY Blues
« on: 9 Sep 2014, 02:19 am »
I made a case for my new LDR pre. But unfortunately I seems toasted the main board because of my new DIYer's neglect.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: DIY Blues
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2014, 12:47 pm »
I made a case for my new LDR pre. But unfortunately I seems toasted the main board because of my new DIYer's neglect.

First off, I moved this post to its own topic since it didn't quite belong under the LDRx/LDRxB finished preamp topic.

Secondly, very sorry to hear that you managed to toast one or both of the V2 boards. I'm going to guess that power was applied either backwards (reverse polarity) or too high a voltage was applied. Either way will get the job done toasting the V2.   :cry:

Third, OMG will you look at the enclosure! If I'm not mistaken that case was milled out of a solid block of aluminum. Impressive!! :thumb:

Fourth, it's possible to repair the V2 board. However, depending on the extent of the damage and the number of components that need replacement it may be impractical from a cost standpoint for us to take the time to repair vs. simply sell you a replacement board. Can't make that assessment without getting the board back here for evaluation. Regardless whether it was the master or slave board that was damaged, a  replacement board will work with the remaining board. The V2 design does not require matched pairs when used in balanced or dual mono configuration.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: DIY Blues
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2014, 05:51 pm »

It may be just the way the wires are laid down but looking at the transformer wiring it appears that the primaries and secondaries are wired backward on the PS12.5 board. The red/black primary wires should terminate on the end farthest from the transformer and the secondaries should terminate on the end closest to the transformer.