Looking forward to my new custom LIO (Silver Autoformers)

mirekti

Re: Looking forward to my new custom LIO
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2016, 03:33 pm »
You really don't want to know. 

Given the price difference between copper and silver, I really do not.  :nono:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Looking forward to my new custom LIO
« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2016, 06:02 pm »
Given the price difference between copper and silver, I really do not.  :nono:
:oops:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Looking forward to my new custom LIO (Silver Autoformers)
« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2016, 07:50 pm »
Playing music!   :drool:

All black LIO including knobs
AVC-S/Tube stage (Silver Autoformers)
DSD Dac with µRendu power from Ultracapacitors
Headphone Amp (HPA)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2016, 07:54 pm »
Playing music!   :drool:

All black LIO including knobs
AVC-S/Tube stage (Silver Autoformers)
DSD Dac with µRendu power from Ultracapacitors
Headphone Amp (HPA)

Congrats!

How about a pic or two of the inside?

My updated DAC with microRendu power connector just arrived. 

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 13 May 2016, 08:11 pm »

jriggy

« Reply #25 on: 13 May 2016, 10:06 pm »
Nice! 

I like black/black knobs/silver top.

Are the silver autoformers visible in that pic? Just curiosity, that's all.

You liking?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 14 May 2016, 02:31 am »
Nice! 

I like black/black knobs/silver top.
Good news is that with Vinnie Rossi you can get exactly what you want.   :thumb:

Are the silver autoformers visible in that pic? Just curiosity, that's all.

You liking?
No, and yes, it's badass.   :green:

WG

« Reply #27 on: 14 May 2016, 02:59 am »
jtwrace--very interesting build.  Congratulations.  I would guess Vinnie does a certain amount of playing of each unit before they leave for QC purposes.  It will be interesting to read his impressions on presentation differences between website published AVC tubed, your Silver tubed AVC and DHT. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 14 May 2016, 03:04 am »
jtwrace--very interesting build.  Congratulations.  I would guess Vinnie does a certain amount of playing of each unit before they leave for QC purposes.  It will be interesting to read his impressions on presentation differences between website published AVC tubed, your Silver tubed AVC and DHT.
Yes he does.  I'll let him comment on that if/when he feels like it. 

chrisl

« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2016, 03:18 pm »
jtwrace, what was your reasoning in going with AVC over the new DHT?

thanks
Chris

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 15 May 2016, 05:18 pm »
jtwrace, what was your reasoning in going with AVC over the new DHT?

thanks
Chris
Well, a couple of things really.  First, I have a TAP-X from Bent Audio which I just love.  I never did the Silver AVC's in it b/c there are four of them and I just could never swallow the cost.   :o   That said the only way I was doing the LIO was with Silver AVC's as I heard them compared to the copper and I was shocked.  Yes, it was blind too.  As for the DHT, quite frankly, I"m just not into that but I'm sure it's spectacular.  The good news is Vinnie has many levels and options to suite everyone and their budget.  That's what makes the LIO so cool.   8)

I have two friends that own LIO's and they love them.  I haven't really understood their love affair they have with it until this week.  My LIO isn't going back to Vinnie.  No way!  It's more than I ever expected on many levels and I look forward to the next iteration of modules too.

brj

« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2016, 08:39 pm »
I have the silver AVCs in my balanced Bent Tap-X, and love them.  The cost did make me wince, but it was a purchase to last a lifetime, so I paid the price and am thrilled with the result.

I briefly pondered the idea for the AVC/Tubestage in my LIO, but since the LIO was destined for a second system, I couldn't quite justify it to myself and never even asked Vinnie about the option.  Of course, now the idea gnaws at me a bit...

(I've never been overly inclined toward tubes, though not for any clearly defined reason, but I do want to play with tubes in my AVC/Tubestage at some point to see what the potential is.  Something else on the never-ending list...)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: 15 May 2016, 09:34 pm »
I have the silver AVCs in my balanced Bent Tap-X, and love them.  The cost did make me wince, but it was a purchase to last a lifetime, so I paid the price and am thrilled with the result.

I briefly pondered the idea for the AVC/Tubestage in my LIO, but since the LIO was destined for a second system, I couldn't quite justify it to myself and never even asked Vinnie about the option.  Of course, now the idea gnaws at me a bit...

(I've never been overly inclined toward tubes, though not for any clearly defined reason, but I do want to play with tubes in my AVC/Tubestage at some point to see what the potential is.  Something else on the never-ending list...)
The good news with the AVC/Tubestage is that Vinnie supplies you with a jumper so you can bypass the tubes without signal degradation.   ;)

I'd say it's time for you to order the Silver AVC LIO!   :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 16 May 2016, 12:26 pm »
My only issue with the LIO so far is that I stay up way too late listening.   :sleep:

chrisl

« Reply #34 on: 16 May 2016, 04:18 pm »
Thanks for sharing your opinion.  Much appreciated.

Well, a couple of things really.  First, I have a TAP-X from Bent Audio which I just love.  I never did the Silver AVC's in it b/c there are four of them and I just could never swallow the cost.   :o   That said the only way I was doing the LIO was with Silver AVC's as I heard them compared to the copper and I was shocked.  Yes, it was blind too.  As for the DHT, quite frankly, I"m just not into that but I'm sure it's spectacular.  The good news is Vinnie has many levels and options to suite everyone and their budget.  That's what makes the LIO so cool.   8)

I have two friends that own LIO's and they love them.  I haven't really understood their love affair they have with it until this week.  My LIO isn't going back to Vinnie.  No way!  It's more than I ever expected on many levels and I look forward to the next iteration of modules too.

SteveKi

« Reply #35 on: 16 May 2016, 06:10 pm »
You really don't want to know.  I'll let Vinnie answer that.   :o

Did Vinnie say that he was going to release Silver Autoformers as an option or upgrade?
Steve

Vinnie R.

« Reply #36 on: 16 May 2016, 06:38 pm »
All,

The LIO SILVER AVC/TUBESTAGE is something that I do not plan to offer on our website, but still might entertain
doing a few more on a custom basis.  The price difference between standard LIO AVC/Tubestage and
LIO SILVER AVC/TUBSTAGE is approx. $2K (Slagle silver AVCs are NOT cheap!).

No doubt about it - the Silver AVCs are an even 'more open window' to the music.  The differences start in the
upper midrange, and continue all the way up into the upper treble.  They are super clean, clear, open, and airy.  That's
where I really notice the improvement.  The nice part is that they are NOT bright.  I know silver sometimes gets a bad reputation for being brighter, more forward, etc.  Not this time... these sound very natural.  :)

So why not add them as another option at this time?  :dunno:

Simple.  I want to avoid having too many options for the LIO linestage.  I need to streamline things a bit more going forward,
and for this I plan to offer the following options for LIO Preamp and Integrated amp configurations:

- RVC + Tubestage  ("Level 1")
- AVC/Tubestage  ("Level 2")
- DHT PRE ("Level 3")

That being said - if LIO SILVER AVC/TUBESTAGE is something that you are really interested in, please email me... it will have more
lead-time, but I will still offer them on a custom basis. 

My only issue with the LIO so far is that I stay up way too late listening.   :sleep:

Hi jtwrace,

I know that problem very well!  :oops:   Glad you are enjoying it!

Vinnie

mirekti

« Reply #37 on: 16 May 2016, 07:06 pm »
The good news with the AVC/Tubestage is that Vinnie supplies you with a jumper so you can bypass the tubes without signal degradation.   ;)

Can someone clarify this a bit, please?
If one doesn't use the jumper than all the outputs (Phono, DAC, Analog) are configured to use tubes as and output stage, correct? This ACV/Tubestage is than used as an preamplifier for the AMP module, correct?
If one uses the jumper then there are no tubes and something else is used as a preamplifier or there is no preamplifier at all but the outputs (Phono, DAC, Analog) go directly to the AMP module?  :?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #38 on: 16 May 2016, 07:12 pm »
Can someone clarify this a bit, please?
If one doesn't use the jumper than all the outputs (Phono, DAC, Analog) are configured to use tubes as and output stage, correct? This ACV/Tubestage is than used as an preamplifier for the AMP module, correct?
If one uses the jumper then there are no tubes and something else is used as a preamplifier or there is no preamplifier at all but the outputs (Phono, DAC, Analog) go directly to the AMP module?  :?

Hi mirekti,

On the LIO AVC/TUBESTAGE board, there are 2 jumper settings.  One is for using the module as only an AVC module (no tubestage
following the AVCs).  The other settings (default) is for the AVC + Tubestage.

The AVC is the volume control (passive).  The Tubestage that follows it is a buffer (cathode follower).

Vinnie

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: 16 May 2016, 09:13 pm »
Telefunkens have been installed! 

Thanks TomS, Vinnie and Kevin at Upscale Audio.   :thumb: