Opera While Driving

JohnR

Opera While Driving
« on: 10 Jul 2009, 07:19 am »
Never really thought of it before, but an extended drive to a country destination is a great opportunity to enjoy some uninterrupted listening time! Last night's menu: La Traviata, Coro e Orchestra Del Teatro Alla Scala conducted by Riccardo Muti. Tiziana Fabbricini, Roberto Alagna, Paolo Coni, recorded April 1992, Sony Classical.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Opera While Driving
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2009, 12:09 pm »
That's one good thing about having a Satellite Radio, isn't it?   I was listening to a Met production of Simon Boccanegra from the 80's -- Levine conducting Domingo and Millo -- the other night.  I was really getting into it and I was kind of bummed when I arrived at my destination.  I stayed in the car to listen to the Doge's council chamber scene but then I had to go.  Oh well, c'est la vie!

Edit: Turns out to be a mid 90's production since Millo did not sing Amelia opposite Domingo until 1995.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2009, 01:27 pm by woodsyi »

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2009, 01:16 pm »
Not sure about satellite radio... I use old-fashioned CDs :)

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2009, 01:32 pm »
The way you put it with the menu and all, I assumed some sort of serendipity.  :oops:  Plus, I am in the free trial period (6 months) with the Satellite Radio that came with the new family car.  Having an Opera channel is great. 

no1maestro

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2009, 06:14 pm »
Saturdays are for estate sales for my wife and I. Our local classical station airs the Met each Saturday during the season and does recordings of Opera Theater of Chicago and other recordings between Met seasons. I am happy with this format and it sometimes causes me to breeze through some boring sales to get back to the broadcast. Beats all the other stations on a Saturday!

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2009, 06:21 pm »
Opera while driving could be dangerous. I might find myself purposely heading for a bridge abutment on some of those high notes.  :o :lol:

mcullinan

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2009, 06:42 pm »
Opera while driving could be dangerous. I might find myself purposely heading for a bridge abutment on some of those high notes.  :o :lol:
Bob,
Thats because you have Bose in your car! :)
lol.
Mike

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2009, 02:39 am »
That's one good thing about having a Satellite Radio, isn't it?   I was listening to a Met production of Simon Boccanegra from the 80's -- Levine conducting Domingo and Millo -- the other night.  I was really getting into it and I was kind of bummed when I arrived at my destination.  I stayed in the car to listen to the Doge's council chamber scene but then I had to go.  Oh well, c'est la vie!

Edit: Turns out to be a mid 90's production since Millo did not sing Amelia opposite Domingo until 1995.

How's the sound quality of satellite radio nowadays?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2009, 02:52 am »
If my wife's car is any indication, it SUCKS!  :cry:   I hate driving in her car for that reason.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2009, 03:58 am »
It's a car sound.  I got all Sony surround sound package with our Flex.  It's tinny and shrill with no midrange to speak of and the bass is flabby.  Otherwise, it's good.  I still enjoy listening to music, especially Operas I like. 

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2009, 04:27 am »
Saturdays are for estate sales for my wife and I. Our local classical station airs the Met each Saturday during the season and does recordings of Opera Theater of Chicago and other recordings between Met seasons. I am happy with this format and it sometimes causes me to breeze through some boring sales to get back to the broadcast. Beats all the other stations on a Saturday!

What is the best way to do 'Estate Sales' ?

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2009, 08:04 am »
The stock sound system in my new car (Mini Cooper D) is not too bad, actually, I wouldn't call it hifi but I find it to be quite listenable for its purpose. I haven't found myself driving into or off of any bridges yet :green: - although I do need occasionally to adjust the volume to compensate for limited dynamic range in the car listening environment...

For my return trip this morning I had Madama Butterfly, by the Roma Opera Theater. This was not so good as the drive out - perhaps I am simply less familiar with the piece and got lost.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2009, 12:44 pm »

You may also bump your head trying to hit the High C by raising your head instead the pitch. :nono:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 14 Jul 2009, 06:18 pm »

For my return trip this morning I had Madama Butterfly, by the Roma Opera Theater. This was not so good as the drive out - perhaps I am simply less familiar with the piece and got lost.

This is a long Opera.  You really got to love Opera to listen to the whole thing.  Having said that, I really love this opera.  This is such an incredible character study of Cio-Cio San as she she goes through marriage to suicide.  If you can get lost with the right recording for you, it is a very moving experience.  I have heard and have most major recordings and I like the de Los Angeles/DiStefano for overall sensuality and vocal quality.  Tibaldi/Bergonzi is beautiful but lacking emotions.  Callas is not the right Cio Cio San for me although she is the Tosca for me.  I never could warm up to Scotto and Price is too much for this role.  Moffo is delicate and lovely as is Freni.  I don't think there is a perfect one for me yet, but each offers different aspect of the tragic story.