RIP Nicholas Maw -- a fellow Neoromantic and composer of Sophie's Choice.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
A great man died.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/19/AR2009051903481.html

I like melodic music.  I prefer dissonance and atonality to be sparsely used for horrific emotional moments.  In this regard, Maw and me -- we are were simpatico.

I was at the US premier of his Opera, Sophie's Choice.  It was a very moving performance.  Had he employed a great librettist, I think he could really have done something with it.  Even as it was, there were bits and pieces of music that brought out row emotions.  It's a difficult book (I can see why Styron refused to revisit the subject when asked to be the librettist) to condense into a play, let alone an opera.  Maw's music and the story got to me but there could have been so much more.  Sadly, we will never hear Maw improve it. 

This opera is not to be heard on CDs.  If a production comes near you, I would recommend you to see and hear it.  Though disjointed and awkward at times, it's moving and will make you weep. 

Randy

I have had Maw's sprawling orchestra work "Odyssey." since it was first issued in the '80s, but never could warm to it, a rare event since I usually like just about anything.  Same for his violin concerto which made a big splash when it was recorded by Joshua Bell. However, I do like a couple of discs with some of his choral music. Never have heard "Sophie's Choice," but would be interested if it gets recorded.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I found a DVD of Sophie's Choice at Berkshire Record Outlet.  This is a pretty amazing site to get rare (in house recording?) DVD footage of performances.  :o  I just ordered a bunch of DVDs of performances I had never seen sold anywhere.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2009, 08:16 pm by woodsyi »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Thanks for the tip, Woodsyi.  I just picked up a DVD of a Cziffra concert along with 4 cd's and a vinyl for $30-shipping included! Very interesting place.