A second review of the new DVA 225 Monoblock amps

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
Re: A second review of the new DVA 225 Monoblock amps
« Reply #60 on: 29 Jan 2022, 07:43 pm »
Sorry if I missed this in any earlier post. Does anyone know the damping factor and if these amps use any negative feedback? My speakers are single driver crossoverless design and tend to sound best with low damping factor/no negative feedback designs. I also have a pair of stand mount speakers that love high power and could see these amps matching up perfectly with those.

Thanks in advance.

BadDNA

« Reply #61 on: 4 Mar 2022, 12:57 pm »
Sorry if I missed this in any earlier post. Does anyone know the damping factor and if these amps use any negative feedback? My speakers are single driver crossoverless design and tend to sound best with low damping factor/no negative feedback designs. I also have a pair of stand mount speakers that love high power and could see these amps matching up perfectly with those.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know that spec, only that AVA amps produce some seriously good bass. I just hooked up a pair of M225's last night and after a brief test listen, I can say I don't think you would be disappointed. I have Ascend Sierra-2EX's which use a RAAL ribbon tweeter and a SEAS custom Excel woofer. The M225's made them sound like I've never heard them before. Effortless, clear, so much texture with things fleshed out. A sense of the performer in a 3 dimensional space in my room. I can't wait to put more hours on them.

BadDNA

« Reply #62 on: 9 Mar 2022, 12:52 pm »
Apologies for piggy-backing on this thread..... but just wanted to post a small update on the M225's.

WOW!! I was hoping that there would be a significant gain going from the SET 120, but I am a bit shocked. Realism, dynamics, lack of any hint of harshness/sibilance, etc. etc. I can listen forever, and listen to stuff I usually don't listen to.

I'd say the cost was worth the week in the doghouse with my wife...... but I shouldn't say that, should I?!! :scratch:

avahifi

« Reply #63 on: 9 Mar 2022, 02:05 pm »
Just wait until you read and see what the next two reviewers will have to say!   :D

My expert builder will be bringing in another new batch of M225 amps this morning.  There might be a few still available for immediate delivery.

Act fast if you want their magic.

Frank

BadDNA

« Reply #64 on: 9 Mar 2022, 05:42 pm »
Just wait until you read and see what the next two reviewers will have to say!   :D

My expert builder will be bringing in another new batch of M225 amps this morning.  There might be a few still available for immediate delivery.

Act fast if you want their magic.

Frank

Where might we find those reviews, and when will they be published?

avahifi

« Reply #65 on: 10 Mar 2022, 02:13 pm »
I can't say anything more about upcoming reviews until they are actually published.

Frank

aln

« Reply #66 on: 10 Mar 2022, 02:16 pm »
Time to ramp up production!

BadDNA

« Reply #67 on: 11 Mar 2022, 12:30 pm »
I can't say anything more about upcoming reviews until they are actually published.

Frank

Well, I don't need another review to tell me how good these are, just like to get other's reaction to hearing them!

avahifi

« Reply #68 on: 11 Mar 2022, 02:23 pm »
I would really like to hear about other new M225 or SET 120 user's reactions here too.

Frank

BobRex

« Reply #69 on: 11 Mar 2022, 10:08 pm »
Looks like TAS has scheduled a review for next month (or next issue, whichever comes first).

lovelexicon

« Reply #70 on: 13 Mar 2022, 02:43 am »
Didn't see the DVA SET 600 mono on the website, only the DVA 225 mono.

Are the larger monos no longer made?

Reynolds853

« Reply #71 on: 12 Apr 2022, 10:06 pm »
I had the pleasure of auditioning the 225's at home for a full three weeks and close to 75+ hours.

My current system:

Auralic G1 Streamer
Okto Research Stereo 8 DAC  (used as preamp to feed 225's directly)
Musical Fidelity M6 500i (500w integrated) ($7k when introduced)
B&W 804 D3 (they measure flat to 27hz in-room)
13x18x8.5 (ground up) treated listening room 

First thing - communication and service from AVA is outstanding.  Second, the quality of the product was higher than expected.  They are very solid.  Nice metal feet with rubber ring bottoms.  Solid.  They look great on the rack and sit easily side by side on my standard rack.  The speaker taps are close together so banana plugs are best.

Before I start, it can be hard to separate nuance from hyperbole.  When level matched, the gap between the MF and AVA was slight, but I am confident that I could blind A/B them with most content after spending so much time with both. 

When I first turned them on, it was clear to me that the 225's played in the "top shelf" league.  I did not have one in my room, but I had just listened to a Burmester 032 at a dealer and the AVA Immediately reminded me of that ($25k) integrated. Without dissecting the sound, the word that kept coming to mind was "Beautiful." This was especially evident when listening to piano, acoustic or vocal.  They play things down the middle without drawing attention to any portion of the presentation by bumping up the high, or being overly warm, etc.  The soundstage was big and deep but not artificially exaggerated. They are easy to turn up loud because they simply will not offend your ear with any harshness.  My speakers are 89db and can dip to 3ohms at the bottom (ported design).  If you know the d3 sound, they lean to the bright side especially with average amplification.  The B&W feed on power and most amps simply do not do them justice.  I have demoed them with Anthem, Classe, Hegel and McIntosh in the 250w+ range and they simply did not impress they way they do with my MF amp.  Chalk it up to taste or synergy.  This was not the case with the AVA's - they sounded great!  Also, I could not get the amps to run anything more than slightly warm even when driven to the point where I was beginning to worry about my speakers.

In contrast to the MF amp (with > double the power): The MF was ever so slightly less refined on the mid and top.  Whereas I defined the AVA's as Beautiful, the single word that comes to mind with the MF is Impactful.  You simply can't passively listen to the MF.  The slightly sharper top end of the MF made the soundstage sound just the slightest bit wider but maybe less deep.  The biggest contrast was in the bass.  The MF's have an iron grip on the woofers so there is absolutely zero overhang below 50hz.  If I did not have the MF on hand, I would have attributed the slightly looser bass of the AVA to room nodes.  That is not to say that the AVA's were lacking in their ability to generate bass or even control.  In fact, they sounded slightly fuller in the low end to a small degree.  I'm not sure if that was because the bass was slightly softer or if they were actually pushing more current.  Hard to say.

All said - the MFs strengths played best if your are into EDM or focus heavily on percussion attack.  The MF simply has limitless dynamics and an iron fist on the low end.  If I had to guess, the AVA would appeal to more people - especially if you seldom venture to true rock concert levels or have (very) power hungry speakers.  The more velvet touch of he AVA was best with many songs.  With more efficient speakers or ones with less control issues in the lowest octave than the B&W's, the AVA would be the easy choice for many.  Plenty of power.  Grace.  Huge Value.  Look great on the rack.  Don't take up much space.  Great service.  Made in USA.       

Much respect.  Most of the audio world should be embarrassed for what they are asking, by contrast.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #72 on: 12 Apr 2022, 11:45 pm »
In my original review the 225's with my Magnepan 1.6's (85db and dips to 2 ohms) they played to rock concert levels and had tighter bass than my Pass X250 which is not surprising given bass tends to be a little slower with some Pass amps.  The 225's were not polite.  They were very dynamic and a little forward sounding in my system using a BAT VK-51se preamp.

Great review 853!

AllanS

« Reply #73 on: 23 Apr 2022, 06:02 pm »
I.Greyhound or anyone with similar experience.  I'd appreciate you sharing any M225 experience you have at moderate SPL.  This is my critical listening comfort zone that I only know to describe as life size.  In practice and depending on the music it ends up being ~55-60ish dB average as measured with a smart phone app at ~ 8' from the baffles.

Thanks much,
Allan

Ispec2

« Reply #74 on: 5 May 2022, 02:41 pm »
I purchased a pair of the recently offered demos because I WAS ON THE FENCE. I have Zu Def IV's which  I thought might not seem like a good match well I was totaly wrong! They are sounding amazing. I have had several amps with these speakers in the past from tubes, very popular low powered SS and some class D they all sounded pretty good but all left me "wanting" I must say the 225's Do it all for me. I believe I will have these for quite some time. Very dynamic sounding unbelievable slam had to change settings on the onboard subs. No harshness whatsoever. I'm not much for writing reviews so I will say what is written in  the reviews about their sound is pretty much spot on as far as I am concerned. Right now I am using it with a Black Ice F360 line stage with great results but when my budget permits I will have to try the AVA Digital Preamp.

Irwin

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #75 on: 5 May 2022, 04:30 pm »
I.Greyhound or anyone with similar experience.  I'd appreciate you sharing any M225 experience you have at moderate SPL.  This is my critical listening comfort zone that I only know to describe as life size.  In practice and depending on the music it ends up being ~55-60ish dB average as measured with a smart phone app at ~ 8' from the baffles.

Thanks much,
Allan

Hi, the amps sound very good at lower volumes.  Most of Franks gear does.  Of course, a lot depends upon your preamp and other gear.

mr_bill

« Reply #76 on: 24 May 2022, 03:17 am »
Does anyone know the gain db spec for the M225s?

RonN5

« Reply #77 on: 24 May 2022, 10:55 am »
Mr Bill… see below for the M225 gain which is 24.

RonN5

I will try and answer your questions:

Old rule of thumb in amplifier design is (was) to set the gain so the amplifier puts out full power into an 8 ohms load with a 1 volt input.  This 1 volt has been creeping up over the years to 1.5, 1.7. even 2 and higher.  I don't know why.  But one of the consequences is that some sources can't drive some amplifiers to full power necessitating the REQUIREMENT of having a preamp (with gain).  I have always been of the philosophy that "the best preamp is no preamp" so designing an amplifier that requires a preamp doesn't make sense to me.

The two amplifier boards in the M225 have a gain of 24.  This means that 1 volt in gets you 24v out.  But there are 2 amplifier boards, running out of phase, so the differential output is double, or 48v.  48v into 8 ohms is 288w, a little over the M225's 225w.  Turns out the input needed to drive the M225 to full power is a little less than 1v, more like 0.9v.  0.9 x 24 = 21.6v out of each amp board = 43.2v differential into 8 ohms = 233w.

Our R2X has a gain of 2, but that's a little misleading.  The gain from input to positive output is 1, the gain from input to negative output is 1, and the gain from input to differential output is 2.  But each amp board in the M225 only uses the positive OR the negative input.  There is nothing in the M225 that uses the differential input.  So the R2X does not add any gain.

If you reduce the gain of the M225 by 6 db, it will require 1.8v input (1.8v + input AND 1.8v - input which is 3.6v differential) to run it up to full power.

I have seen no appreciable noise differences in the low gain vs the normal gain M225's.

So, clear as mud - right?

Dan

joelmilr

« Reply #78 on: 5 Aug 2022, 08:25 am »
Hello everyone.
I've been diligently following the posts about the M225. Considering upgrading from my British  Roksan Kandy integrated amp. Considering the Fet Valve CFR preamp as well. Presently have Salk HT2-TL speakers and a British dac -chord qutest. As you can see I live on the other side of the globe.

Could anyone provide some feedback  when listening to classical music with these amps? How do they handle full sized orchestras as well as chamber music? Any added info. will be most helpful.

Thanks so much
Joel

KLH007

« Reply #79 on: 5 Aug 2022, 02:11 pm »
Joel, The M225s are equally adept at reproducing the scale and power of an orchestra and the delicacy and individual imaging of chamber music. One of Frank's guidelines is string tone and the M225s are spot on, listening to massed strings is a joy and a solo violin can be sweet or incisive depending on how it was recorded. The weight of a crescendo is easily felt, and the wallop of a bass drum pressurizes the room. In my experience stereo amps don't equal the soundstaging and imaging capabilities of dual monos and the M225s exemplify my thoughts by providing a wide and deep stage. Their size is convenient and lightweight a plus, I'm tired of working with 75 to 100-pound amps. The M225s represent a sensational value and top-shelf sonics in a small form factor, kudos to the AVA team.